Nation#$%^ insur SUKS...very long

grayman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sad story to write but it bears telling. Some very vital points to know when buying a high dollar car like a Viper.

Purchased a mint 04 SRT about a year ago. Obviously got full coverage insurance even though I had no loan – paid cash. Put about $4k in extras….exhaust, intake, misc..blah blah blah.

Anyways, got in an accident in Oct 04 at an event about 3 hr from home. Really not that bad. Airbags popped but vehicle held together great. Jumped a curb and hit a brick wall about 15 mph. Contrary to what some of my friends say, I truly believe it was maybe a $15k fix. But I could be wrong, …no bodyshop expert here. Anyways, car gets towed to local salvage lot at direction of police on the scene. Im given a business card of the shop it goes to and I contact the next day to make arrangements for car to be delivered back to my house (about 3 hr trip). Local shop the car was taken to was very helpful and made arrangements for me and friend to ride back home with car on flatbed. Scheduled trip home the following morning.

Called in the morning to confirm arrangements and am told that there was a fire on the lot that night and car was completely destroyed. What #$@@ luck I am having this weekend. Good thing I don’t get too upset over material things, because this series of events is about to make me go postal. Anyways, I ask what the hell happened and the lot owner has no idea and puts me on the phone with the fire marshall and police who are investigating. Oh boy I think, and am I right or what, here is where the fun begins…

Get treated like a big time criminal from here on out as police try to accuse me of burning my own car up. Unbefrickinlievable. Questioned for an hour or so with buddy at local police station and generally treated like crap. After accounting for whereabouts the entire time with witnesses, the cop actually says…”Well, you didn’t have to actually be there to burn your car, You could have paid someone to do it!!!” I start laughing and my buddy says, “Yeah right, we’re here partying 3 hrs from home and on a whim decided to look in the yellow pages and found 1-800-dial an arsonist”. 30 seconds later the police threw us out and said they would talk to us later.

Well, thinking it was all over I called my insurance company , Nation#$%^% , and reported everything. Relying on the coverage I know I had, I thought all would be taken care of….You know their motto…Nation$%^ is on your side. Ha!!! What a friggin joke. They put me thru the ringer for 9 months before just settling. Their position was that I had burned my car and they were not paying, plain and simple. I told them right off the bat to kiss my cherry red ass and discuss everything with my attorney. They played the insurance handbook of BS, including calling me multiple times to deposition, calling my wife, investigating my financial history, debts, angry girlfriends and underwear color. Only after threatening to sue and reporting them to the state insurance commissioner did they agree to settle, and then tried to seriously low ball me.

Bottom line is, I finally got what I wanted but had to seriously fight for it. YOUR insurance carrier will be quick to pay on low $ claims, but lose a Viper completely and see how quick they send you a check. Also, and this is important, make sure you have a lien on your car even if you don’t want it. Legally, an insurer must play by a different set of rules regarding payouts and timeframes when a 3rd party is involved. By having a lienholder, your carrier must settle the claim completely IAW state sponsored guidelines whereas if you own your car outright, a 1st party claim usually is not as strenuously regulated and you could get screwed.

Take it from me. Full coverage is a joke if there is even anything out of the norm with your claim. You may finally win what you deserve, but odds are it will not be as easy as you think it should be.

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WOW I am glad you posted this and am sorry for the crap you had to go through. Maybe one moral is: don't f**k around. Just sue them. :eek:

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I was reading your post, I kept expecting you to say : "And then I woke up... it was all a bad dream..." :eek:

So did you or are you buying another Viper ?

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to know more about the fire. Did it burn just your car? Did it start at your car? Did the crack police force find an accelerant on your car, or anywhere?

OP
OP
G

grayman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, looking for another SRT. Fire apparently started at my car. I do know that fire dept/tow company never disconnected the battery after the accident because they could not locate it. The fire burned a car that was parked on either side of mine as well. I dont think police found accelerant but my insurance compnay apparently did after their thorough investigation. The car was so decimated after the fire that it was actually difficult to tell what kind of vehicle it was. Kinda funny that the insur. company would find something when noone else did since it strengthens their position of arson. Nevertheless, arson or electrical, your insurance should cover you for loss. In this case, they wanted to deny coverage because they basically said it was an intentional loss. Bunch of ******** I tell you.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Yes, looking for another SRT. Fire apparently started at my car. I do know that fire dept/tow company never disconnected the battery after the accident because they could not locate it. The fire burned a car that was parked on either side of mine as well. I dont think police found accelerant but my insurance compnay apparently did after their thorough investigation. The car was so decimated after the fire that it was actually difficult to tell what kind of vehicle it was. Kinda funny that the insur. company would find something when noone else did since it strengthens their position of arson. Nevertheless, arson or electrical, your insurance should cover you for loss. In this case, they wanted to deny coverage because they basically said it was an intentional loss. Bunch of ******** I tell you.

Duh...maybe the accelerant was gasoline. Insurance companies are all crooks. Hope you got 9 months of interest on the payout. Are you going to insure your new SRT with Nationwide? My GTS is insured by them too, however, it's only because State Farm(insure 3 other cars) won't insure Vipers. Good luck!

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats why I'm glad we don't have privitized insurance here....glad you got your money though! Hope you get yourself into a new snake soon.

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nationwide *****. I had to go through hell to get my car fixed with them. Leaving State Farm was a monumental mistake. As soon as State Farm takes me back(3 year cool off period), I am gone. The difference in treatment between the 2 companies is shocking.

I live in Austin, TX. State Farm does insure Vipers here.

Reaction score
Geico was on the wrong side of one of their policy holders, who hit my kid while he was riding his bike.
The driver got cited and received a traffic ticket.

I told Geico, I was taking my kid to the bike store and whatever bike he wanted, he was getting and I was going to send them the invoice. I said if you don't pay it, I will turn it over to my attorney and you can deal with him.

I never saw someone pay as quick as they did.
He picked out a Lance Armstrong type replacement bike and I sent them an invoice, they paid it ASAP.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow i just read your post and that really *****. im glad you at least got your money.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an insurance story. I've been with Allstate since I was 16 years old. Insured with them for nearly 16 years with a perfect record. I had full coverage for the Viper and was only paying about 700 per year. I was one day late on my payment and they cancelled my policy. I shopped and shopped around and still found Allstate to be the best and now it's nearly doubled in price. grrrrrrrr
G

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_