Nearly a 10 In My Mildy Modified 06 Viper - 11.19 @123.80 - A Heartbreaker Read On

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Nearly a 10 In My Mildy Modified 06 Viper - 11.19 @123.80 - A Heartbreaker Read

Nice run! Question: Have you ever had any issues caused by the use of an Underdrive Pulley?

No problems with my UD pulley. Was worth a .10 on my other cars. Not sure on the viper but 10HP seems realistic with the PS and water pump slowdown.

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Nearly a 10 In My Mildy Modified 06 Viper - 11.19 @123.80 - A Heartbreaker Read

The plot thickens on my power loss. Talked to Roe today and I may have created this problem myself. I disconnected the lower 02 sensors as they were disabled in the program but I was told today that is a no no as the computer still reads the voltage off the sensors and this effectively puts it in some form of open loop setting and overrides the custom tune. My check engine light has been on since I did this but I discounted it as I thought it didn't matter as the AF was being read on the upstream sensors. Reconnecting tommorow and clearing the codes and then will see what happens. Hope to get on the dyno tomorrow or wednesday but may head to the track and take a pass or two and see if the magic power has returned. Is this consistent with what others understand about the downstream 02s on a custom tune?

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No idea but Seans a viper genius.

I predict a 125.7 mph pass and 11.08 et on yournext outting with a 1.77 60 foot

Ghoust

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Great times. Any secrets you want to share on how to drag race the car? I just had a test n tune and my paxton viper could only muster up a 12.7 at 122. slipping all the way through 3rd gear. I have almost brand new PS2s as well ad it was sunny at about 55 at the track. Any ideas?

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great times. Any secrets you want to share on how to drag race the car? I just had a test n tune and my paxton viper could only muster up a 12.7 at 122. slipping all the way through 3rd gear. I have almost brand new PS2s as well ad it was sunny at about 55 at the track. Any ideas?
Drag Radials are the answer. Come up to Infineion for test and tune on the 16th and get it dialed in I will be out there.

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Have a few but have to get that 10 before I share. Lol.

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score

O.K. the moment of truth is drawing near. Got the car on the dyno after the o2 sensor issues resolved and the power came back with a fury. The even better news is the car is still lean and really needs a custom tune. Power AF is 13.5 to 13.7. A fattening up will surely add more power. With the current tune and everything working right she laid down and SAE 516 HP and 544 lb ft. of torque. Torque jumped nearly 25 ft. lbs with a cool down in the midrange but top end remained the same due to the lean out. So I REALLY need a fatter fuel curve to make use of the cold weather. I am furiously trying to get a new sct scanner by tomorrow so we can fatten her fuel curve up before I go to the track tomorrow night. I have been blessed with good, but not great weather tomorrow night. Low around 50, so maybe mid 50s track time. I lost the scanner for the car which was a BIG mistake and is not only costing me alot of money but a lot of hassle too as I have to unlock the computer, etc. If all cooperates I should have the car custom tuned by tomorrow afternoon. I wont' be surprised at 20 HP or more out of the tune and anything near 530 SAE will be more than enough with the good weather. I pray to god the track is prepped like last time. That could be the spoiler. Will need all the traction I can get.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ironically my car leaked koolant all over the road today while doing timed 60-130 mph runs against a lambo lp570.

Car overheated the the underdrive crank pulley came off?

First time having a problem with it and had it two years

Cars revs a lil quicker with it

Gee Twister, didn't mean to jinx ya... Hope it is an easy fix. I'll have to be more careful in the future when I ask someone if they ever had trouble with _____ on there car.;)

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a little experience, what is it that you want to know?

For starters, the PS2 needs to have the tire pressure in the low 20's (24 psi, and work your way down if you need to). I know some friends with Invo's that run in the teens (18 psi). If your tires start to cup in the middle, you have gone too low.

Secondly, you want to get some good heat in the tires. I typically drive around the waterbox, and back up into the water. if you have street tires, when you drive through the box, the water will get stuck in the grooves, and leave a trail of water all the way to the launching area. This will cause you to spin. For the burnout, I usually put the car in 2nd, and drop the clutch at around 5,000 rpm to get the tires spinning at a very high speed to build heat quickly, while the car is rolling forward. You WILL have to steer the car if you do this, and remember to lift throttle and stab the clutch when the car starts to move a little faster. You don't want it to grip and snap something in your driveline (or worse, lose control of the car and wreck...and yes, I've seen that happen in person). If you have a line-lock, or can get from the clutch pedal to the brake pedal pretty fast, you can just break the tires loose and sit while they spin, until you have a decent amount of heat in the tires (smoke coming out). I know a LOT of people will tell you that with a street tire, you just want to wipe the tires to get road dirt off, but I've made enough passes in my car to know better. This should hopefully solve your spinning issue.

Most people on street tires will run a 2.0+ 60' when launching. The biggest change you can make in your 1/4 mile E.T., will be in that first 60'. If you are shooting for a certain time slip, disregard the person in the lane next to you, and the tree. When the light goes green, focus on lifting the clutch and giving enough throttle, to maximize power at the wheel, without overpowering the tire, and also making sure you have enough throttle to keep the car from bogging. THAT, is a very hard thing to do, as it requires you to hold the clutch at a certain point when the car starts to move pretty good. You lift the clutch too fast, and you either spin, or the engine bogs. Not enough throttle, car bogs, and too much throttle, car spins. Fun, isn't it? :D The timer doesn't start until you actually trip the beam, so don't worry if you sit there for 5 seconds after the light goes green. If the car does roll a little forward though, the clock is ticking!

Let me know if you have anything specific you want to know, and good luck!

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Had the same problem with my car. 550 rwhp a d 560 rwt and the nitto invois down to 18 psi and still just spinnin

g down the quarter mile. 12.0s at 120ish

Speedfreak.

What type of dyno is this?

516 sae is probally a recird for such minimal mods. But your afr worries me a little. 13.7 isgetting just a little dangerous. 13.7 on the dyno is probally 14.2 on the street.

Really you want 13.0 on the dyno and 13.5 on the street. Id think by fattenning the afr down to 13.0 youd likely lose a rew rwhp and gain a few rwt.

Perhaps 510 rwhp and 550 rwt.

This is all thats needed for your 10.99 with good weather. Very excited and wish you the best!

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Had the same problem with my car. 550 rwhp a d 560 rwt and the nitto invois down to 18 psi and still just spinning down the quarter mile. 12.0s at 120ish

: sigh :

You have to realize that track prep is different from the street where you are using your G-tech to measure your 1/4mi times. What these guys are doing vs. what you are doing, is an apples to oranges comparison. They will be able to put down more power than you will, because the track surface is very sticky. In fact, my friend was putting down 860rwhp in his TT built motor Viper GTS, with 20" Invo tires, running 10's at 146+ mph on the same track I raced at. I'm not telling you this to put you down, but simply so these guys know what they are up against.

Also, for you guys running at the track, make sure that you stay in "the groove". This should be visible when looking down the track, as that is typically where the race cars run, and that is very sticky. To the sides and in the middle, is much more slick, and you can spin the tires easily there. When I was first racing my turbo bike, I would be past the 1/8th mile, spinning at 100+ mph on a drag radial tire, because I was out of the groove. This is also important for when you line up for the launch. If one tire is in the groove, and another in the slick, you might break a half-shaft (traction between both wheels would be different). If you guys ever go to a track and can walk on the track (if no cars are there), it's very easy for your shoe to get stuck to the floor (much like flypaper). THAT's how sticky a well prepped track is.

In fact, you are in luck that I actually recorded this at my last outing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD390PIwNe0

Tip, if you can make a pass after a big tire car runs, you can get a little better traction. Street tires tend to ruin the track prep and lift up the rubber laid down by the big tire cars. Hope these tips further help!

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know its pathetic. But hey our one drag strip closed 6 years ago and Ive been useing the fx2 timer for ten years. The days the track wasnt open I was useing it.

Thing is. I found that a nice burn out prerun with tire pressure at 24 and lower allowed me to somewhat mimick the drag strip conditions.

I would never try to submit my times for records ect and its merely a tool for me to keep improving until we have another drag strip built.

But yes you are correct. A well prepped track can allow even stock tires to hook.

Speedfreak any new news?

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I didn't say it was pathetic, just saying that you can't compare the two because they are different.

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Well guys, remind me to never to drag race on friday the 13th. I should have known better. Virtually nothing went right. I spent all day trying to get the car tuned which I managed to accomplish by about 8 pm. Picked up some major torque in the midrange (3-5k) at the expense of a couple of horsepower up top (514 hp) by fattening the fuel curve. The car felt like and animal and I was very optimistic. The track is only open until 11 pm. so I drove like a madman to get there by about 9.30 coming from ft. lauderdale. The first problem was the check engine light came on again. This was after 2 hours of tuning and 1.5 hours on the phone with SCT trying to unlock and override my ecu from me loosing my tuner. I attempted to clear the code but the scanner would not communicate with the car so something got missed in the programming. This should have been my cue things were not going to go well.

The temperature was about 60 degrees, really not enough but worth a shot. I lined up and took a pass. Track prep was not near as good but I still managed an 11.30 with a 1.79 short time but at the same old lame 123.5. I was furious. Same old problem. 99 mph in the 1/8th and nothing in the quarter. I could not imagine why as I watched the numbers on the dyno and witnessed the dramatic power improvement. Must have picked up and average 15-20 HP at the wheels from 3-5k in addition to the strong peak number of 515ish after correcting the 02 sensor issues and dialing in the fuel curve. This does not equate to 123 trap in 60 degree weather, period. Then to make matters worse on my second pass my clutch pulled the same crap it did a year ago and would not hold the car still. Only 10k on it and maybe 8 drag passes. What a piece of crap. That finished the racing for the night and the season unless I get another clutch put in. This wil be my 4th oem clutch in 65k miles. Unbelievable.

The only good news is I think I have finally solved the power mystery. I thought it was fuel delivery as the dyno only loads the car a few seconds but a drag pull applies lots of Gs and full throttle and load for 11 seconds. A weak fuel pump, plugged fuel filter etc. seemed a likley issue. Took it back to the dyno today and we figured we would pull some hard passes in 5th gear to load the motor longer and see what happened. Well guess what did, around 5k the power dropped like a rock and the fuel curve when way rich. Apparently, my aggressive tune was too much for 93 octane and the heat and load put the car in detonation on that 4th gear pull at the big end of the track and the car was dumping gas and pulling timing. We not went back to scratch and retuned the car for maximum power hot in 5th gear. By playing with the fuel curve down low and the timing up top we were able to alleviate nearly all the detonation issues up top and actually improve the midrange. Many cudos to Nemo at Rage Technologies - he really knows what he is doing. Final numbers were 558 torque and 508 HP. Next week I will go back and we will give it the ultimate tune for race gas and with that she should post the mph numbers I expect in the quarter mile.

This has all been very expensive and I am trying to scrape together the money to get a clutch in her before the good weather ends in february. If so, we could still see that 10 this year. I'll keep you posted.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice write up.

Yes my friend. The back and fourth dyno tunes drive my wallet crazy!

Man an 11.3 at 123.5 is still really good.

The gen4s are 50 pounds heavier and seem to average 550 rwhp and 520 rwt.
They average 126-128 mph in the quarter but more than a few have sqeezed 129-131 mph from them.

What Im trying to get at is with 510 rwhp... Well we just cant expect a crazy high mph.

Stockers at 445 rwhp average 119-121 mph. Truth be told 122 is excellent and 123 mph from a stocker has only been acieved by very few.

If a well driven stocker around 450 rwhp averages 121 mph and a well driven stock 08 around 550 rwhp averages 128 mph...

Then I think its safe to assume a well driven 500 rwhp srt will average 124.5 mph. 510 rwhp and perhaps a 125 mph trap.

Actually come to think of it heres what mine did sae

457=119-121
476=120-122
486=120.5-122. 5
515=122.5-124.5

If you want to go to extremes and say the best driver in the best weather run 123.5 mph in a gen3 and the best driver in the best weather runs a 130.5 mph in a gen 4 then a 127 mph pass is conceivable in a 500 rwhp srt. Perhaps 127.5 with 510 rwhp.

But I feel thats really grasping.

I want you to suceed and prove me wrong but I dont see more than a 124-126 mph pass.

Rootin for you speedfreak

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Nice write up.

Yes my friend. The back and fourth dyno tunes drive my wallet crazy!

Man an 11.3 at 123.5 is still really good.

The gen4s are 50 pounds heavier and seem to average 550 rwhp and 520 rwt.
They average 126-128 mph in the quarter but more than a few have sqeezed 129-131 mph from them.

What Im trying to get at is with 510 rwhp... Well we just cant expect a crazy high mph.

Stockers at 445 rwhp average 119-121 mph. Truth be told 122 is excellent and 123 mph from a stocker has only been acieved by very few.

If a well driven stocker around 450 rwhp averages 121 mph and a well driven stock 08 around 550 rwhp averages 128 mph...

Then I think its safe to assume a well driven 500 rwhp srt will average 124.5 mph. 510 rwhp and perhaps a 125 mph trap.

Actually come to think of it heres what mine did sae

457=119-121
476=120-122
486=120.5-122. 5
515=122.5-124.5

If you want to go to extremes and say the best driver in the best weather run 123.5 mph in a gen3 and the best driver in the best weather runs a 130.5 mph in a gen 4 then a 127 mph pass is conceivable in a 500 rwhp srt. Perhaps 127.5 with 510 rwhp.

But I feel thats really grasping.

I want you to suceed and prove me wrong but I dont see more than a 124-126 mph pass.

Rootin for you speedfreak

You make some valid points here twister but given what I have seen this car can do when running right I think a 126-128 mph pass is entirely realistic with the right weather. Remember I ran 124.3 in 80 degree weather with the car running right. Moreover that was with 2 mph LESS in the 1/8th than I am getting now. If we simply extrapolate the expected mph gain from my current 1/8 mile speed 126+ is entirely within reach. If you add to that a 2500 ft. reduction in density altitude (which is HUGE) from the 124.3 pass the number is going to move up alot. In addition, my gen 3 is about as light as you can get and definitely lighter than a gen 4. I am near 3200 lbs without driver. Also, don't forget that I am making 30 to 40 foot pounds more torque than a gen 4 in the 3-5 k range (557 - me to 520 for a 4). Average horsepower and torque are what matter most over the entire rpm range and I suspect that while my peak number is 30 hp light from a gen 4 my midrange horsepower is actually considerably higher. I actually turned and 11.27 on the second pass last friday also with a 1.78 60 foot. I can run in the 11.20 to 11.30 range all day long now with only a 123 trap. With that future 1.70 60 foot I can deliver and the top end power where it should be it will hit the number. Working on getting a clutch in her now and then I just need the weather god to cooperate. Keep the faith. Lol.

08ViperCoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Speedfreak, I'd like to meet up with you sometime. I live in Wellington and noticed your profile shows the same. I have an 08 Coupe with headers and a K&N (drop in) filter. I hate our track (PBIR) because it seems like they never prep it well (at least not when I go) and as you know, here in South Florida we *rarely* get cold weather... (and *cold* for us is 50-60degrees)

I'd like to get the intake manifold (plenum?) modification next but am skeptical if it's worth the $$.

I've only taken the car to the track twice. First time ran a best of 11.40 @ 130. The last time out got a best ET of 11.1 and best MPH of 131.9. I believe my 60 foot was a 1.8x but would need to double check my time slip. (I have them here). Perhaps we can meet up some time and go run the cars at the track. Send me a PM sometime. I read your entire thread...awesome times man, sounds like your Gen3 is making good power.

Take Care,
Rick
08ViperCoupe
Viper Red (no stripes), H-Spoke wheels, Two tone (red/black) interior, factory NAV, full Moton Suspension.

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Speedfreak, I'd like to meet up with you sometime. I live in Wellington and noticed your profile shows the same. I have an 08 Coupe with headers and a K&N (drop in) filter. I hate our track (PBIR) because it seems like they never prep it well (at least not when I go) and as you know, here in South Florida we *rarely* get cold weather... (and *cold* for us is 50-60degrees)

I'd like to get the intake manifold (plenum?) modification next but am skeptical if it's worth the $$.

I've only taken the car to the track twice. First time ran a best of 11.40 @ 130. The last time out got a best ET of 11.1 and best MPH of 131.9. I believe my 60 foot was a 1.8x but would need to double check my time slip. (I have them here). Perhaps we can meet up some time and go run the cars at the track. Send me a PM sometime. I read your entire thread...awesome times man, sounds like your Gen3 is making good power.

Take Care,
Rick
08ViperCoupe
Viper Red (no stripes), H-Spoke wheels, Two tone (red/black) interior, factory NAV, full Moton Suspension.

Sent you a PM. Would love to hook up with you at the track.

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Take Care,
Rick
08ViperCoupe

Nice times and killer trap speed. A ten is in your future!!!!!

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Im very joulous of that 131 mph trapp. Cars what.... 575 rwhp?

I know what you mean Speedfreak. Mines at 3200 ish pounds as well. So perhaps being 200 pounds lighter plus the trq advantage and a 128 mph pass is possible.

08 viper coupe. Do you remember your 1/8 mph? Interested in how it stacks up against Speedfreaks 99 mph 1/8