Need advice from you audiophiles on replacement door speakers

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Took the Viper out tonight for a drive and noticed a fart/rattle sound when I turned up the music, I thought that was strange since I have never heard it before and I play music every time I'm in it. Anyway I thought maybe something was just loose so when I got home and shut everything off so I could hear, the front passenger side definitely sounds blown to me (and no I don't listen to the music on 11 lol). I guess just being old she finally let go. So I went around and listened to the driver's side and it is sounding bad, not blown, but definitely distorting and I am assuming going to blow like the passenger side soon. The blown one sounds so bad tonight I turned off the radio/ipod so I need to get a replacement asap. Can anyone recommend a decent speaker for the doors? I'm looking at some Alpines from Crutchfield with good reviews and a pretty slick look, link is below:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SPS500/Alpine-SPS-500.html?tp=97

Oh and BTW, size wise what am I looking at? I put a tape measure on the grill and it measured 6", but from searching old threads it seems my only sizing options seem to be 5.25 or 6.5" what do I go with on my 94? I don't want to trim the door panels so is 5.25 stock?

Last edited:

blackandblue01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On my 01 I put 6.5 in but with the recess of the door i have no way to secure a grill, If I put a grill on it sticks way out. If you go with 5.25 the grills will fit in the recess nicely.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try searching. There are TONS Of threads on here about this. The most popular replacement speaker by far is the Kicker KS-600.

ront/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just put kicker 6" in my 94' doors. They fit right in and I used the stock speaker grilles. Big improvement over stock, but I'm not really an audiophile either.

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you have an RT/10, as do I, you may want to think marine speakers. I put in Polk Audio Marine that have the crossover and the tweeters in the tweeter holes, (for lack of a better description). The price and freq. response are the same as the non-marine version. My previous speakers were non-marine and I'm sure the sun and occasional stormy drive lead to their demise.
Just a thought.
Todd

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pull your existing speakers and check the foam edge on them. Most likely the foam has turned into dust.

My subwoofer (2001 RT/10) had a bad foam band on the speaker cone, and a local stereo repair place (http://creativeacoustics.com/) put on a new foam edge for $25. Sounds fine, and it was an easy fix.

Maybe an option for you to consider...

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have replaced car speakers for years and years, and I have never heard so much rich sound out of the set of speakers I recently put in my Gen 3 doors. They are named "Hertz". The best car speaker I have ever heard. High end sound without the high end price. Check out their website. I have had just about everything--even high-line imports like "Canton", but nothing touches the Hertz. Hopefully someone in your area sells them. These things blow Kicker/Aplines/RF's/and all the other popular speakers away.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang