Need advice on washing microfibers and storage techniques.

BARONESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New here, so go easy on me;)

I dont have a viper yet;however, i have always been a huge viper fan and plan to have one one day (dream: 2006 srt with a '08 hood) ...still looking. You guys are the best of the best on detailing (the junkman is awesome, i always always use your techniques and advice). So here is my question, I spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars (yikes) on detailing supplies, border less blondes, cobra, hex logic, etc. but how would you wash these? By wash I mean... I have my microfiber restoration wash, but how do you group them when you wash them? Do you wash lower body together, upper body together, do you wash your interior together?

Right now I have a color system: yellow for exterior upper paint, red for wheels, green for windows, etc. but I feel like I do a million loads of laundry when I have to do wash because I wash them separately. How do you group your microfibers when it's time to wash them?

21bubba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I dont have a viper yet;however, i have always been a huge viper fan and plan to have one one day (dream: 2006 srt with a '08 hood) ...still looking. You guys are the best of the best on detailing (the junkman is awesome, i always always use your techniques and advice). So here is my question, I spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars (yikes) on detailing supplies, border less blondes, cobra, hex logic, etc. but how would you wash these? By wash I mean... I have my microfiber restoration wash, but how do you group them when you wash them? Do you wash lower body together, upper body together, do you wash your interior together?

Right now I have a color system: yellow for exterior upper paint, red for wheels, green for windows, etc. but I feel like I do a million loads of laundry when I have to do wash because I wash them separately. How do you group your microfibers when it's time to wash them?

I'm simply speechless.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have different color towels too, but I don't segregate them to different parts of the car.
I wash all of mine together at once.

I run the wash cycle about 4 times per load though, until they are way clean.
-does that make me as crazy and obsessed as you?

-I do fold them and stack them in piles arranged by color, but just so I don't have rainbow stacks.
My car doesn't care what color the towels are, so neither do I.
And my car doesn't care what color the Porsche is that we are passing, so neither do I. ;)

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have different color towels too, but I don't segregate them to different parts of the car.
I wash all of mine together at once.

I run the wash cycle about 4 times per load though, until they are way clean.
-does that make me as crazy and obsessed as you?

-I do fold them and stack them in piles arranged by color, but just so I don't have rainbow stacks.
My car doesn't care what color the towels are, so neither do I.
And my car doesn't care what color the Porsche is that we are passing, so neither do I. ;)

hahahaa! that's funny!

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always group like towels together when I wash. That means, only borderless blonds get washed together and only waffle weave towels get washed together. I do this for two reasons. One, I don't want any lint from a long nap towel to get mixed onto my waffle weave towels. Two, I don't want any dirt from the waffle weave towels to be sharing the same water as my borderless blond towels. Mixing the towels together can cause some cross contamination if the towels don't get truly clean. Linting is the main reason a lot of guys have issues when they mix all the towels together so I tell them not to do that.

That's my .02.

Torquemonster06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Junkman, you are the man when it comes to detailing, oh and buy the way, your .02 cents is actually worth $37.80. LOL You are deff a great investment.:headbang:

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Micro fiber towels are sooo CHEAP. This is pure madness and thread about NOTHING. Go to pepboys and buy a truck load of new ones. Or have your wife wash them and separate them when she does kids laundry for crying outloud.:mad:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Junkman, you are the man when it comes to detailing, oh and buy the way, your .02 cents is actually worth $37.80. LOL You are deff a great investment.:headbang:

lol! Thanks man. :)

Micro fiber towels are sooo CHEAP. This is pure madness and thread about NOTHING. Go to pepboys and buy a truck load of new ones. Or have your wife wash them and separate them when she does kids laundry for crying outloud.:mad:

... and that is EXACTLY how to destroy your paint. Of all the worthless (and destructive) stuff that you can use on your paint, those crappy, made in China towels are at the top of the list. I use those things to check my oil and clean off my water hose. I would never advise anyone to use them on their paint. All microfiber is NOT good microfiber. Those towels would be equivalent to someone claiming that their Dodge Charger is the same thing as a Viper, only cheaper.

I think everyone here would say, "Yea... Viper... right!"

Viper Garage Elite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the Junkman knows best I use his advice and have never been disappointed thank you! All towels are not created equal and quality will easily not resemble china made lol

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree, spend the extra money and buy quality towels.

Also, use a Microfiber specific detergent when cleaning the towels. Never mix microfiber with cotton. I typically put all my white towels in together and all of my colored towels in together. I use Adam's towels and don't have a problem with bleeding. I can't attest for other manufacturers, but be cautious the first time you wash colored towels.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Me personally I wash everything seperately. How crazy is that! I wash all four of my wash mitts seperately. I use Free and Clear Detergent. Extra rinse. Then I wash all my color coded cloths in groups. Whites together etc.

Try griots towels all their products are really nice!

Second this! I use griots and love their stuff!

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric, what detergents work well on microfiber? Are the cleaners made to be used in a washing machine?

Woolite is what I use on not only my microfiber towels, but all my fine washables (I don't know why that sounds like underwear...). Available over the counter at any grocery store.

jman2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
junkman does this apply to all types of MF towels including the extra soft n fluffly like a puppy MF towels used especially for polishing??

:)

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
junkman does this apply to all types of MF towels including the extra soft n fluffly like a puppy MF towels used especially for polishing??

:)

Definitely. There is no need to buy these special "microfiber soaps" being sold when they have over the counter products that have been on the market for years and have proven themselves. I have been using Woolite since the 70's, when I use to wear silk shirts (quit laughing, they were in back then). All you need to buy is the plain version of Woolite with no fabric softeners. You can find that stuff everywhere. Add to that, you ONLY use a very small amount of Woolite as it is very concentrated. Make sure you read the label. A cap full goes a LONG way.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Junkman, I'll try some woolite.

Silk...spelled r-a-y-o-n back in the '70s. ;-)

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Junkman is the expert, but my solution is simple for me. Upper body MicroFibers become a lower body after four uses, then they become an interior cloth, and finally make their way to the rims and wheel-wells. After that they get tossed in the trash. Costs me $15 for a pack of 12 for a season. I don't bother washing any of them. I also never wash my Vipers and I claybar where needed, as needed. Anything that doesn't come off within three or four light passes with the MF cloth and spray gets the clay bar, which is so much easier and saves time and eliminates possible swirl marks. I never get swirl marks using this method.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Definitely. There is no need to buy these special "microfiber soaps" being sold when they have over the counter products that have been on the market for years and have proven themselves. I have been using Woolite since the 70's, when I use to wear silk shirts (quit laughing, they were in back then). All you need to buy is the plain version of Woolite with no fabric softeners. You can find that stuff everywhere. Add to that, you ONLY use a very small amount of Woolite as it is very concentrated. Make sure you read the label. A cap full goes a LONG way.

This is not necessarily true. The microfiber detergents are formulated specifically for microfiber. I have used Woolite in the past, but it does not do as nice a job as the Revitalizer. The towels are looser and softer after using the Revitalizer.

I typically add 1-2 oz of Revitalizer when washing towels, depending on the load size.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is not necessarily true. The microfiber detergents are formulated specifically for microfiber. I have used Woolite in the past, but it does not do as nice a job as the Revitalizer. The towels are looser and softer after using the Revitalizer.

I typically add 1-2 oz of Revitalizer when washing towels, depending on the load size.

I've been washing with Woolite for years, since the mid 1970''s and have had NO issues whatsoever. I'll stick with the tried and true.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been washing with Woolite for years, since the mid 1970''s and have had NO issues whatsoever. I'll stick with the tried and true.

That's not the approach I take. Sure, there are products which have been the standard for years, but if there is a better product on the market, you should use it.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The operative word here is BETTER. I've used a few microfiber soaps and I haven't seen anything BETTER about them. They are BETTER for the people selling them because they are overpriced. But BETTER in quality I definitely haven't seen.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do not intend on getting into a bickering match over the internet, so I'll leave it at this.

Microfiber Revitalizer is a new, improved, better product. It is formulated specifically for waxes, oils and other contaminants, as well as being gentle on the microfibers. I have seen a difference in my towels since using it. I promote the product because it works better. People are looking for a better product than off the shelf products. You could buy a Corvette if you want an off-the shelf product, but these guys bought Vipers.

You would be promoting Microfiber Revitalizer too, if you were not fired from Adam's. Your arguement simply sounds like a disgruntled former employee.

My two brothers and I are simply Adam's customers who bought so much we became a dealer. Anyone who has been to our shop understands we sell Adam's because we believe the products work. This is not a source of income for us. It is tough to have a bias when money is not a factor.

I want to stay on track for the original poster, it is great to see you have a system. I keep my dark towels together and wash all my white towels together. If some are more soiled than others, I pre-rinse them and hand scrub them. There are multiple options on the market for microfiber detergents. Good luck!

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hold on... Wait a minute. OP dreams of getting a viper someday and opens an account and his first question is about laundering microfiber towels...

I hate to say it but...

You must be registered for see images attach

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... You would be promoting Microfiber Revitalizer too, if you were not fired from Adam's. Your arguement simply sounds like a disgruntled former employee.

Okay, stop what you're doing and give Adam a call. I know you have his personal cell number. Ask him if I EVER was a employee of his. What you will find out is that I was never employed by Adam's, nor did I ever accept his offer to become one. So get your facts straight as you are completely in the dark on that subject. I have never supported everything sold by any ONE company because no ONE company has the best of everything. Since Adam's doesn't MANUFACTURE anything that they sell, for all you know the stuff that you are promoting could very well be Woolite.

You have your opinion and I have mine, although I have been doing this longer than you have been on this planet. I also don't have a dog in this fight. I neither work for Adam's or Woolite (unlike YOU), I just promote what works for me. Oh, the Corvette slam was weak. Kinda shows your age but hey, I expected no less. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper