Need advice PLEASE - considering Gen 2 purchase

SR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Need advice PLEASE - considering Gen 2 purchase
Hello everyone,

I own a '08 roadster which I enjoy. I am looking to purchase a '01-02 GTS ACR as well. I love the body style of Gen 2's but I have never driven one and I don't know how it drives. I am not using it as a daily driver and I understand that changing the tires is a must. I need some input from any members who have or had both gens who can give me some constructive advice. I have a few questions:

- How is the ride?
- Are the brakes as good as gen 4?
- Is there a lot more cabin noise?
- How does it handle compared to gen 4?
- Does the car feel solid when you drive it?
- How much hotter is the cabin?
- How is the transmission? Does it shift as smooth as gen 4?

Feel free to give me any more input about the similarities or differences. I need to make my decision by tomorrow. Thank you in advance.

sr

(I have posted on Gen 2 and Gen 4 forums)

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ride is good, cabin has more room. Seats are more comfortable on long rides.
Brakes not as good but I am sure you can upgrade if not up to par with your expectations
No more cabin noise with factory exhaust. Corsa exhaust only if you upgrade so no drone in cabin.
Still handles great but the gen 4 is more refined.
Car does feel solid.
Cabin is hotter than gen 4. Keep a/c in tip top shape and you will be ok. Most heat noticeable when idling in traffic.
Transmission is solid, don't force 3/4 shift, let it glide in by itself.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The simple answer to your question is: The Gen. IV is better in almost every category you listed (also has a better cooling and AC system). No noticeable difference in shifting and cabin noise is about the same but that depends on the upgrades (exhaust, etc.), if any. No nanny gadgets like TPMS on the Gen. 2. '01 was the first year for ABS. Some '01's had cooling issues due to the use of non-metallic (plastic) water pump impeller.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 4 is a better overall car in almost every way. Still, the only way I'd own a G4 over a G2 is if the G4 was an ACR.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mind you I have only driven a Gen 1 once, but the pedals are all pushed over to the side. I'm sure you get use to it, but that was certainly a big difference I noticed between the 1 and 2 compared to the 3 and 4. Also, the lay out of the guages takes some getting use to.

OP
OP
S

SR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I placed an offer and we will see what happens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery