Need Advise on Viper Purchase

Plucky Purcell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First post guys...be gentle. :)

I've been looking for a Viper and came accross a '94 RT/10 at the Lowe's Autofair in Charlotte last weekend that looked really nice. Very clean, 8300 miles, and the seller said his son owned it before him and it was always babied, never pressure washed, etc... I call and agree to make the purchase a couple days later and I get the VIN. Carfax says it was in an accident in '95, there's been a total of 7 title transfers, and the odometer had been as high as 27,620 miles and was apparently rolled back. It was last sold at auction in Alabama in 6/06. He's only asking 38K, but considering the history I think I should pass.

What do you think?

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Run away from that one. The accident might be enough to scare you but if its not, the speedo rollback definately should. Take the time to shop around, there's some good deals out there if you're willing to wait. I shopped for 6 months, although I had a specific car in mind and had to wait for one of the 324 to go up for sale, but I'm glad I took the time. While shopping I looked at quite a few nice cars in the low 30s. Also, broaden your search. These cars are rare so you might have to travel a bit to get a deal, but it's worth it. Besides, what better way to enjoy your new car than a cross country trip home in it. The trip back home for me was the best road trip of my life. Good luck.

Lake Murray Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First post guys...be gentle. :)

I've been looking for a Viper and came accross a '94 RT/10 at the Lowe's Autofair in Charlotte last weekend that looked really nice. Very clean, 8300 miles, and the seller said his son owned it before him and it was always babied, never pressure washed, etc... I call and agree to make the purchase a couple days later and I get the VIN. Carfax says it was in an accident in '95, there's been a total of 7 title transfers, and the odometer had been as high as 27,620 miles and was apparently rolled back. It was last sold at auction in Alabama in 6/06. He's only asking 38K, but considering the history I think I should pass.

What do you think?

I don't think this is even a question...run as fast as you can:D . This guy seems to have done a lot more than failing to disclose a few things

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe your even asking that as a question. Never pressure washed! Your best bet, would be to find a local Viper club and show up at one of their events. Let the guys with real knowledge show you the potential problem areas with the cars and what to look for. You might get some leads as well. Good luck, but don't jump into anything right away. Also depending on where you live, have the car checked out by a reputable Viper tech, the guys at the club should be able to steer you in the right direction. Parts on these cars are anywhere from 2X to 20X more expensive than parts on a Vette, the $200 you spend on a proper inspection could save you on a 20K motor rebuild.

Last edited:

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like a fleet car. Let me put things into perspective for you, I bought my B/W 97 GTS for $38k back in January, and it had 29k miles on it. Tell that guy no thanks, and post the VIN on here so we all know to either stay away from it or offer low to buy it.

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just spent 8 months looking for mine and finally purchased just recently.

My advice is to take your time. There are amazing deals out there (much, much better than quoted above) and opportunites can come from anywhere. Have the funds ready when the right deal comes your way.

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you kidding? I would definitely walk away from that car, too many inconsistencies to believe anything they tell you. With so many owners, either a fleet rental car or just an abused Viper IMO.
PAvenom:nono:

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wouldn't even think about that one...I have a 94 rt/10 I'll sell for the above price...38k...I sent you a PM...let me know

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a very clean 99' RT that I will give a great deal on. I have a clean car fax also.

OP
OP
P

Plucky Purcell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the great advice. Like I said, I thought I should pass on this one and I will. Taking time to find the right car and getting club advise before the purchase are great suggestions. Actually, just from what I've learned recently I think I'll be better off with a Generation II.

BTW. The VIN on this particular Viper is 1B3BR65E7RV100202. Approach with caution.

Silver_Snake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Report Run Date: 04/20/2007 Vehicle Description: 1B3BR65E7RV100202 TitleCheck: No Record Reported to AutoCheck Problem Check: No Record Reported to AutoCheck Odometer Check: Record(s) Reported to AutoCheck Vehicle Information: Record(s) Reported to AutoCheck Full History: Record(s) Reported to AutoCheck
You must be registered for see images

https://www.autocheck.com/consumers/reportSubmitAction.do#topVIN: 1B3BR65E7RV100202 Year: 1994 Make: Dodge Model: Viper Style/Body: Roadster 2D Engine: 8.0L V10 MPI Country of Assembly: United States https://www.autocheck.com/consumers/reportSubmitAction.do#top

Your Vehicle Checks Out! AutoCheck's database for this 1994 Dodge Viper (1B3BR65E7RV100202) show no significant Title events. When found, events often indicate past automotive damage or warnings associated with the vehicle title.
Problems Checked Results Found Abandoned No Abandoned Record Reported to AutoCheck Damaged No Damaged Record Reported to AutoCheck Fire Damage No Fire Damage Record Reported to AutoCheck Grey Market No Grey Market Record Reported to AutoCheck Hail Damage No Hail Damage Record Reported to AutoCheck Insurance Loss No Insurance Loss Record Reported to AutoCheck Junk No Junk Record Reported to AutoCheck Rebuilt/Rebuildable No Rebuilt/Rebuildable Record Reported to AutoCheck Salvage No Salvage Record Reported to AutoCheck
https://www.autocheck.com/consumers/reportSubmitAction.do#top

Your Vehicle Checks Out! AutoCheck's database for this 1994 Dodge Viper (1B3BR65E7RV100202) shows no historical events that indicate a significant automotive problem. These problems can indicate previous car damage, theft, or other significant problem.
Problems Checked Results Found NHTSA Crash Test Vehicle No NHTSA Crash Test Record Reported to AutoCheck Frame Damage No Frame Damage Record Reported to AutoCheck Major Damage Incident No Major Damage Record Reported to AutoCheck Manufacturer Buyback/Lemon No Manufacturer Buyback/Lemon Record Reported to AutoCheck Odometer Problem No Odometer Problem Record Reported to AutoCheck Recycled No Recycled Record Reported to AutoCheck Salvage Auction No Salvage Auction Record Reported to AutoCheck Water Damage No Water Damage Record Reported to AutoCheck

A possible odometer rollback/rollover detected! We determine odometer rollbacks on your 1994 Dodge Viper (1B3BR65E7RV100202) by searching for records that indicate an odometer reading less than a previously reported value.
Report Date: 04/20/2007 Date Reported Odometer Reading 12/13/1993 32 05/16/1995 27,620 08/03/1999 5,832 Possible Odometer Rollback/Rollover
09/27/2000 6,240 04/13/2006 7,500

Information Found! AutoCheck found additional information on this vehicle. These records will provide you with more past history for this 1994 Dodge Viper (1B3BR65E7RV100202).
Problems Checked Results Found Accident Data
Accident Data Record(s) Reported to AutoCheck Corrected Title
Corrected Title Record(s) Reported to AutoCheck Driver Education No Driver Education Record Reported to AutoCheck Duplicate Title No Duplicate Title Record Reported to AutoCheck Emission/Safety Inspection No Emission/Safety Inspection Record Reported to AutoCheck Fire Damage Incident No Fire Damage Incident Record Reported to AutoCheck Lease No Lease Record Reported to AutoCheck Lien
Lien Record(s) Reported to AutoCheck Livery Use No Livery Use Record Reported to AutoCheck Government Use No Government Use Record Reported to AutoCheck Police Use No Police Use Record Reported to AutoCheck Fleet No Fleet Record Reported to AutoCheck Fleet and/or Rental No Fleet and/or Rental Record Reported to AutoCheck Rental No Rental Record Reported to AutoCheck Fleet and/or Lease No Fleet and/or Lease Record Reported to AutoCheck Repossessed No Repossessed Record Reported to AutoCheck Storm Area Registration/Title No Storm Area Registration/Title Indicated Taxi Use No Taxi Use Record Reported to AutoCheck Theft No Theft Record Reported to AutoCheck
https://www.autocheck.com/consumers/reportSubmitAction.do#top Below are the historical events for this vehicle listed in chronological order. Any discrepancies will be in bold text.

Report Run Date: 04/20/2007
VIN: 1B3BR65E7RV100202 1994 Dodge Viper

Event Date Event Location Odometer Reading Data Source Event Detail 12/13/1993 MIDLAND CITY, AL 32 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:15824234) 05/16/1995 NEWTON, AL 27,620 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:21133411) (Lien Reported) 05/16/1995 NEWTON, AL Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:22308164) (Lien Reported) 11/18/1995 AL State Agency FRONT IMPACT WITH ANOTHER VEHICLE (Case #:5120394) 12/13/1995 NEWTON, AL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL 08/30/1996 NEWTON, AL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL 08/21/1997 NEWTON, AL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL 08/17/1998 NEWTON, AL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL 08/03/1999 NEWTON, AL 5,832 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:24692253)
CORRECTED TITLE 08/26/1999 NEWTON, AL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL 08/23/2000 DOTHAN, AL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL 09/14/2000 DOTHAN, AL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL 09/27/2000 DOTHAN, AL 6,240 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:26660966) 08/22/2001 DOTHAN, AL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL 08/21/2002 DOTHAN, AL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL 08/27/2003 DOTHAN, AL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL 08/12/2004 DOTHAN, AL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL 08/22/2005 DOTHAN, AL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL 04/13/2006 GA 7,500 Auto Auction REPORTED AT AUTO AUCTION AS DEALER VEHICLE

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a gen 2 car.Superior mechanicals to gen 1.Go for an 01 or 02 with abs brakes.Superior looks to the 3'rd generation toyota designer cars.Can be upgraded to equal or superior performance to gen 3-4 cars. GTS Bruce

97fatboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a red 1997 GTS with 17K miles. It has upgraded 18 wheels, tubes/filters, chrome gas cap and badges. Very clean car and $45k will buy it.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unless it's a typo by an idiot dealer or DMV, that's alot of miles in just 1.5 years. I wouldn't care about the front impact as long as everything lines up. I've seen clean Viper have messed up facia alignments. I'll sell you my 94' with 8k miles for $37k so I can get a Gen2. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21