Need Daytime Running Lights module

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After a few weeks of owning a US spec car in Canada, I just checked if I had daytime running lights and I don't or they don't work. I have searched the forums and people have given good descriptions of where the DRL module is located but they reference other things that I haven't a clue were they are either.

Does anyone in the US want to swap my non-DRL module (jumper plug from what I hear)for your working DRL module? If you know where it is, can someone tell me how to find it? A picture would be ultimate.

I'm going to go to a dealer today to find out how much it costs to get it done and I'm sure I will be unpleasantly surprised.

Thanks,
Santo

P.S. If someone has a metric speedo that's taking up space in their garage after doing a conversion, I would be interested. I'm just not sure I will do anything with it because I hear there are problems with changing out the speedo.

Scorch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
US Vipers don't have DRL's. To the best of my knowledge they have never been available as standard equipment or as an option.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my US-config car in Canada for over 1.5 years and nobody mentioned anything about me not having daytime running lights. Not even the cops. Even when I didn't have any lights on.
So my advise is to just turn the lights on manually untill you (maybe) one day might be pulled over where you can explain you didn't know and save the money until then.

Erik

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Santo:

Don't know about Gen 1, but every Gen 2 (like your car) come pre-wired for DRL and it is just a matter of pluging the module.

The plug is located on the passenger side next to the hood spring on the car frame and the module mount on the aluminum cross member (already pre-drilled with 2 holes) ,just in front of the alternator pulley and slightly offset to the passenger side.

Module part # is : 4672271 and cost about $90

Luc.00GTS

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is Saskatchewan really so flat that when your wife leaves you, you can watch her walking away for 5 days?

If you want to renew the license plate on that American Viper in a year and expect to get a Canadian one, then
day time running lights will have to be on the car for the
federal inspection.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it can be done with a gen one. Someone here was kind enough to explain how to me. I moved a wire in the fuse block and the fogs became DRL. was very easy but it has been years and I don't remember which wire it was. maybe a search will help.

OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oddly enough, I have an Ontario license plate and Ontario ownership. It passed inspection or I would not have this. It's actually amusing to say that "I need my headlights on to NOT stand out" :) It's probably just a bad module so I'll find out what one costs at a dealership.

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is Saskatchewan really so flat that when your wife leaves you, you can watch her walking away for 5 days?

If you want to renew the license plate on that American Viper in a year and expect to get a Canadian one, then
day time running lights will have to be on the car for the
federal inspection.

Yes, that is true.. and if you stand on a newspaper you can see her run away for an additional 5 days!

I have Canadian plates on my car and it passed the inspection with no problem. So if it will cost anything to install daytime running lights.. Wait! Why use the money for something that already passed inspection?

Erik

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an ex-Canadian '94 and disabled the DRL by disconnecting the feed wire at the battery post (left side cowl.) If you find out the DRL plug is same for Gen 2, I'll swap. Otherwise, it is also located just where luc says, pointing down, I think.

Changing the speedo is easy; it's an electrical plug (three wire, I think) and two screws that hold the gauge in place. For that matter, changing the oil pressure gauge (bar) and the temperature gauge (celcius) was just as easy.

An '01 meets the occupant safety rules by having floor to floor seatbelts? My Canadian car had "Gen 2" belts and had to put the roll-up types in the door to import into the US.

If you PM me, it automatically sends me an email notice.

OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Tom.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I'm going to put the car in storage this weekend and it would be a great time to find and remove the DRL module. I'll let you know how I make out.

I just got back from the dealer who had one in stock. They must fit on Neons too or something because when I drove by the showroom, all salespeople looked like they stopped in mid-sentence and strained to have a look. I don't think they see too many Vipers at that dealership :) The Canadian DRL module has a rectangular plug with rounded edges of maybe an inch or so wide. The module itself has a male connector and has two banks for 5 pins for a total of 10 pins sticking out. The two left most and two right most pins look a little thicker (from what I saw). The whole module was black and maybe 4x3x1.5 inches, roughly. I will remove mine and make sure it's the same size but you may want to check yours.

PM me and we'll figure this out.

Thanks,
Santo

OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
FYI,

Here's what the US DRL module looks like attached to the DRL module connector. It looks like a simple terminator of sorts, as opposed to a bigger rectangular DRL module. It's about four or five inches long and approximately the size of the connector. It definitely looks different than the one I saw that was Canadian spec.

9722US_DRL_module.jpg

I'll send you a PM Tom.

Thanks,
Santo