Need feedback from guys with both Vipers and Corvettes!!

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh boy this looks bad...Just bought the Viper. It is being touched up and I pick it up in 2 days. The problem is my driveway, there is a slope. I drag the front of the Vette (1980) if I take it straight on, but I am o.k. at an angle. Is the Viper even lower? The Vette is in storage so I can't measure it for another 2 weeks! Tell me I don't have to move... :(

Anybody who is an owner of each? Please let me know.

thanks,
Michael

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is definitely lower. It's lower than everything. You'll need to take this **** in the driveway at a fairly severe angle. Just takes a little practice. The only driveway I have seen that was unworksable was one that went up severely, leveled off for a sidewalk, then down severely. Car would high center and get stuck...

Have someone guide you in the first few times so you can get a feel for the angle.

jackson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My driveway is ridiculously steep (upwards). We have funky curbing that is almost "S" shaped up from the level of the roadway to the level of the driveway. I had to mix and pour cement to make it an even transition up to the level of the drive. I still have to take it at about the steepest angle possible - but, it works. No scraping unless I get careless and take a more shallow angle. Good luck!

OP
OP
M

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks Janny and Jackson, I have a 2 car entrance, so if I start at one side I should be o.k. to come across?...I hope...

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just think Michael, maybe your car will have white stripes on the front fascia only in a few weeks, nice!!!

kidding, see you on the May 24 buddy........

show that vid around the office or what? your hooked!

OP
OP
M

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Joe, what would you guess the difference is? 1-2 inches? I am going to measure the Viper and the Vette tonight. I won't be able to sleep unless I know the outcome. I can't believe I could be stuck with the car in the street! :mad:

As for you Ryan, well you are already a super-star in my office. Everyone was howling in the office after the video. It was a real party; everyone gathered around to watch you "light'em up". One of the girls asked if you were single?? LOL!

Michael

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Sean Roe now and order the bumper guards. They are cheap and just stick on and save scrapes.

OP
OP
M

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TobyT, how is that? I was sure that driving in would be the best way.

How do you do this? Is it backup and the steepest angle possible like driving in? Well I already feel better knowing that I can get a couple of more inches by backing up. Thanks TobyT!!

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually my Vette hits where my Viper doesn't. Both are lowered but I think the Vette is lowered even more. The Vette only scrapes the plastic replaceable piece so I don't worry about it. The Viper's front end looks lower but it doesn't scrape where the Vette does :confused:

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
M

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
95VIPER, done...just ordered em' thanks.

ZX1100, your Viper looks amazing! Thanks for the info.

Michael

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is much lower than the 80 Vette, I too have both. Anything that would scrape the Vette will take a chunk out of the Viper. I wish the Viper had the rubber piece on the bottom that the Vette has so the scraping would be of little consequence.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 01 Z06 and a 99 GTS and a steep driveway. Both cars have stock suspension and both cars scrape. The Vette scrapes the flat black plastic air dam thingy under the front of the car and the Viper scrapes the painted air dam.

I worried about it for awhile, but every single Viper and Corvette have scrapes on those parts of the car.

Jim

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '94 Vette didn't scrape, but I installed the Northwind lowering coil caps and dropped the Viper 5/8" and if I enter or exit my driveway quickly (straight-on)it will scrape slightly.

It's no problem if you come in at a slight angle, and I had already gotten used to entering unknown driveways in the Corvette at an angle anyway to avoid scraping before, so it's habit now with the Viper.

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '93Vette and a '02GTS. No question, you'll scrape. I find that pulling in slowly and on an angle works for me--apparently (many) others too. In a way you're lucky because you have previous experience in your low-riding Vette. Therefore, you already know where most of your problem areas are around town and near your home. Besides, you're going to love the Viper no matter how many scrapes you get. Anyway, "forget the Vette," and just drive the Viper! Good luck. ;)

OP
OP
M

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the great responses. This is exactly what I needed. Everybody was right. I went to see the vette last night I got the guy to open the garage.

Here is what I found

Corvette
Front Bumper height: 10 inches
Air dam height : 5 1/2 inches
Distance from bumper to wheel (touching the road) : 34 inches

Viper
Front bumper height: 5 1/2 inches
Air dam height : 3 3/4 inches !!!! :(
Distance from bumper to wheel (touching the road) : 28 inches

I think I might be o.k. I basically have reduced my margin by only 1 3/4 inches. I have ordered the bumper guards already.

Thanks again for the responses!

Michael

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michael better toss up a thread about getting this thing home!!

I strongly recommend pulling the front fascia bolt that lies directly under the front fascia coolant bottle, think I sent you a pic of it. One good whack on a driveway or speedbumb, whatever, and that bottle is toast. Fascia off the car to replace, not good!

Feeling zany, pull a half inch of the bolt and put it back, although I pulled mine altogether.

I am going to measure my car again, I swear it the lowest part of the dam was in the 2.5-2.75 inch range......

talk to ya later,

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a C5 and find the viper only modeately lower. The C5 did have a spring loaded piece that hang down and if you scraped the spring loaded piece took the hit. I just had my front fascia off of the Viper. This screw people talk about is not that close to the bottle. I powerslid into a curb on the passenger front side going about 30mph and didnt puncture the bottle. The screw isnt very sharp either. If you hit something hard enough to force a big dull screw through the a tough plastic bottle, the bottle would be the least of your worries. I hit the curb, broke a wheel, and had grass/concrete in my front facia right where the bottle is. I thought sure I put a hole in the bottle based on how people described it. If it makes you feel better take it off. I left mine off just for fun. ( It's the curb jumper mod. ) The first thing to scrap is a lip on the front facia that hangs down about 1 inch. The 2nd thing to scrape is a couple of wedge shaped pieces on the front of frame. I am 100% confident that it takes some serious effort to do serious damage from scraping. Dont let your driveway deter you from taking delivery on such a fun car.

OP
OP
M

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan, I did not get that e-mail. This is what I found on fascia bolt by Ulysses (good thread). Link for Fascia Bottle puncture

Except the picture does not show up anymore. :(

Anybody have a good picture of this? Ryan?

I definately want to check this before tonight...

AJT, perhaps yours does not have it? Apparently it is a well known problem??

Michael