Need feedback on Alarm system for my Viper

peakcompletions

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was hoping to get some feedback from the club on which is the best alarm system out there, or which one has everyone had the best luck with for their cars.

I have looked at the lojack which seems good for recovery..

any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

:2tu:

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend getting a Viper (the brand name, not the car) alarm. This happened to me TWICE as a result....

You must be registered for see images

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car alarm crapped out TWICE, and wouldn't let me start the car.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was hoping to get some feedback from the club on which is the best alarm system out there, or which one has everyone had the best luck with for their cars.

I have looked at the lojack which seems good for recovery..

any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

:2tu:

I keep hearing horror stories about alarms and Vipers. I'd love to get a proximity sensor for my gts, but not willing to go through what anaconda has gone through. Anyone have aftermarket alarms installed successfully?

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
I installed a Pager Alarm as a backup for the factory alarm. It has about a 1 mile range and it just sets off the pager if anyone opens the doors. They can be set up with glass breakage detectors, jacking detectors and a lot of other features. Very easy to install. I have one on all my vehicles including my bike.

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i had an audiovox prestige pager Alarm...worked great no issues and i loved the little LCD display that tells you if the shock sensor, doors trunk or if it was attempted to start.

The key to a good alarm is not really the alarm itself but the installer. good friend of mine owned a stereo shop and its all about the installer. buy a cheaper alarm if you have to and get a good installer!

venom1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Eric H to some degreee, I have been installing stereos, for 15 years and am also MECP certified, I have dealt with alpine, clifford, viper etc and they are all overpriced. In my opinion I would get a Ungo alarm ya it's a funny name but I think its the best alarm out there. The ungo alarm system has a shock/tilt sensor that is by far the best. No false alarms, But also needs to be installed by qualified installer. When I install a alarm system, I install them in places u would never know, I also solder and heat shrink all my connections. Yes it takes twice as long to install because of the soldering but well worth it in the long run, I have not had any come backs de to poor installation. A typical installer that wants to get in get out, he will install it under the dash of the driver's area, Why because all of the connections are right there. Very easy to disarm. JMO UNGO

venom1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car alarm crapped out TWICE, and wouldn't let me start the car.
Here is a perfect exampel of a poor installation, most likely the reason for all the head aches is a loos connection. The Previous installer most likely installed it under the driver's side under the dash, used Zip ties to hold the Brains of the alarm up to the steering comlum so it wouldnt fall down. and used scotch locks and butt connectors to make all his connections. All alarms come with a Bypass switch via a small red button, or toggle switch, with will disarm the alarm of all its functions and you should be able to start the car. Thiefs no this that is why the bypass button should be mounted some place only you will know. Venom1 2000gts

OP
OP
P

peakcompletions

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My buddy has a lotus elise with a factory alarm that goes off even if you place something on the seat (when the top is off). It works excellent! Anything comparable to that for our cars?

Question to Venom1 - where do you live? :) I would really like to put a decent system in my car. I drove down to Galveston in a 05 Viper SRT-10 and left it on the road while we were on the beach. Came back and the glove box was open! No alarm, no sensors, no nothing. Lucky I did not leave anything in the car! Couldn't someone hop in and take their sweet time disarming whatever the factory system has?

Also, again, has anyone installed the lojack system?

Thanks ALL!

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
re: lojack - i fear it. if someone takes my car, i don't want it back in pieces. sure, you are guaranteed a recovery... but in what condition? i'd rather have the total loss, methinks, than deal with that feeling of being violated when i see the car in shambles.

jut my .02...

JD

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
Vipers are not high on the list of stolen vehicles. I recall reading last year an insurance article that said 3 Vipers had been stolen in the last 3 years. 2 were totaled before they got 20 miles and the third one was recovered within an hour. I don't worry so much about it being stolen as I do about it being vandalized.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
Most folks would never leave them where they could be stolen, but for some it is needed. I never lock it or alarm it, but if it is out it is in sight. A GEN I RT/10 without real windows and the top off most of the time locking doesn't do much good.

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
That is why I don't generally set the factory alarm but I do use the pager. It only sets off the pager in my pocket if the doors are opened or the hood.