Need help deciding on a lift

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been looking at getting a four post lift in my garage. I am going to be expanding my garage to a 4 car in the very near future and will get probably another four post and a 2 post in the future.

I have been looking at numerous threads and different lifts. I like the looks of the backyard buddy, but it looks kind of like it might be cheaply made, but on their website it looks pretty good. I kind of like the idea of having casters on the lift, if it was easy to roll around it might be nice to take it outside to pressure wsh stuff.

I have also been looking at the rotary revolution. It is a little bit more, but seems to be like a good lift.

I have heard that going with a 220v lift makes it go up and down faster.

Any thoughts?

lmcgrew79

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine is from directlift. Had it 2 years no problems, use it all the time. I have 3 more friends with the same exact lift. Again no problems.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 2 Revolution 4-post lifts in the garage. I have had them for several years and no issues. I would buy them again.

BigJag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Backyard Buddy. BB's are generally on the high end in quality and price compared with most lifts. Love mine, no problems. I have casters which makes it very easy to move around. My understanding was 220 wasn't that much faster then 110 but you will definitely limit the portability of it with 220. Who cares if it takes a few more seconds to raise up.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Direct Lift, 3 years no problems, 110V (it is slower going up versus 220V), use it weekly/biweekly, change oil and do maintance on all our vehicles with it.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found the quality to be highest on the Rotary and Bend Pak. I bought the Bend Pak because the Rotary was 2 inches too wide for my garage. I have 110V and it works just fine. If I was lifting everyday multiple times I would go with 220V.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been looking at getting a four post lift in my garage. I am going to be expanding my garage to a 4 car in the very near future and will get probably another four post and a 2 post in the future.

I have been looking at numerous threads and different lifts. I like the looks of the backyard buddy, but it looks kind of like it might be cheaply made, but on their website it looks pretty good. I kind of like the idea of having casters on the lift, if it was easy to roll around it might be nice to take it outside to pressure wsh stuff.

I have also been looking at the rotary revolution. It is a little bit more, but seems to be like a good lift.

I have heard that going with a 220v lift makes it go up and down faster.

Any thoughts?

I have a BYB and love it! No issues with it. Quality lift made right here in Ohio.

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Add me to the happy DirectLift crew. Got mine in April and set it up by myself. Not an easy solo DIY, but a tractor with forks made it possible. It really is fairly easy to set up and adjust, the only issue is the weight of the one runner, which is probably a 4 person lift.

Eh, hire it out.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a Rotary lift (asymetric) for 20 years and it has performed flawlessly. There is a reason Rotary has been in business so long. They build great lifts. I also have a Nusbaum (German) lift that is excellent and has dual controls - which is really nice but they are expensive now. The problem with 4 post lifts is that you can do oil changes and some other repairs easily but cannot work on wheels without picking the car up while on the lift. Also 4 post lifts take up a lot more space than a 2 post. 220v does not make a lift quicker but 220 electric motors seem to last longer. I would visit some shops and see what you like.

Don't skimp on a lift - some of the cheaper lifts made in China are junk and will not stand up to regular use. Look at controls and how much room the lifts take up. What is the installed height is an important question - 4 posts can be a bit lower and still offer good lift height. Also, open the doors on a car on the lift to get an idea of how much space you really need. Working on a car under the dash on an asymetric lift can be a pain depending on where the car needs to be spotted to be lifted - door clearance. This is not a problem with 4 post lifts but you cannot get under the car with the lift on the ground either. If you really like to work on a car, I think you will find a 4 post less than satisfactory.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You can get some great deals on used rotary lifts from lift installers. They often buy used lifts from shops that are closing down. I had several installed for $2500 in my area.

Shop around.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My head was spinning researching all the different lifts. I ended up buying a used Target 9000 110v four post. I wish I had it 14 years ago. What an awesome tool. I do wish it was faster lifting but I'd still stay with the 110 only because I'd want the ability to position the lift anywhere. I'd also get as large of lift as you can. The Viper will fit fine on any lift but my Chevy 1500 maxed it out.

And Dan is right. There are lotsa used lifts for sale.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BBV: Have you researched what lifts are sold, installed, and serviced locally? Parts & serviceability are two reasons I own a John Deere and Pella windows. Last thing you want is a lift that you can't get serviced.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rotary is the same price as the no name brands- get a rotary or bend pak

OP
OP
B

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I definitely have not checked for anything locally. Not quite sure what I would look for or where to look.

maxdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just order a bend pac threw metro lift. (found them on ebay) so far they have been helpful and kept me from ordering the wrong lift(bend pac makes a narrow one 2835.00shipped). I got the standard one 2890.00 with 110 so I can roll it around.The wheels were a option at 265.00 . My friend has this same lift and its nice. If you are going to install it where it will be bolted to the floor, then 220 will raise in 45 seconds. a 110 I heard takes a min. to min and half. Good Luck

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BBV: Rotary has three certified installers in the Raleigh Area:

C & A Equipment in Raleigh 919 231-8700

Quality Air Tool in Garner 919 329-9650

Superior Auto Lift in Franklinton 919 494-1225

Give 'em a call and tell them what you are looking to do and the fact that the lift needs to work with a Viper. Good shopping!

bross

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use challenger lifts, Not a single issue. You can buy really nice used ones from commercial repossession companies also.

OP
OP
B

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give 'em a call and tell them what you are looking to do and the fact that the lift needs to work with a Viper. Good shopping!

I might tell them that it needs to work with a broken down honda civic. I don't need any Viper tax.

VenomSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bigbadviper, You saw my other post so you know I when thru the same thing not too long ago. If possible, find someone near by that has one and see it in person to truly compare the quality. I can't comment on all make, but I have seen a few and I could have gone with either a Rotary or a BYB. Remember you will be under this thing from time to time, so this is not an item you want to be shopping based on cost. Goodluck and keep up posted on you decision. BTW the first car I put on the lift to test the unit was a Honda civic :D

OP
OP
B

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bigbadviper, You saw my other post so you know I when thru the same thing not too long ago. If possible, find someone near by that has one and see it in person to truly compare the quality. I can't comment on all make, but I have seen a few and I could have gone with either a Rotary or a BYB. Remember you will be under this thing from time to time, so this is not an item you want to be shopping based on cost. Goodluck and keep up posted on you decision. BTW the first car I put on the lift to test the unit was a Honda civic :D

Cost definitely isn't the issue. The way i figure it, at most you are looking at a $1000 or so difference in cost. If the lift lasts you 10 years that is like $8 a month.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21