Need help installing new shifter

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This seems like a really stupid question so I'm embarrassed to ask but after putting some force on the nuts and them not moving I wanted to ask. I snapped a pic below and illustrated what seems logical to me I just didn't want to keep pushing if they are "reverse" threaded or something, can someone help verify I'm doing it correctly. Do you have to really put a lot of muscle into this to break it loose? Thanks guys.

Attachments

• DSC01178.jpg
    DSC01178.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 66

SR 27

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Turn the shift knob counter clockwise and the nut clockwise at the same time.

Reaction score
This seems like a really stupid question so I'm embarrassed to ask but after putting some force on the nuts and them not moving I wanted to ask. I snapped a pic below and illustrated what seems logical to me I just didn't want to keep pushing if they are "reverse" threaded or something, can someone help verify I'm doing it correctly. Do you have to really put a lot of muscle into this to break it loose? Thanks guys.

Hold the knob and turn the nut clockwise from the top down.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK, so I'm doing it right then i'm just using a wrench on the shifter shaft as well instead of just holding the knob, I'll go try that real quick.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Judging by the color that appears to be rust. You may need some long pattern wrenches and a Popeye boost kit.

Normal threads = right hand

Reverse threads = left hand

Tip of the day.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ha! Got it. Thanks guys! You verified I was going the right way which gave me the confidence to put a little more muscle into it and it popped right off. My First Strike knob will be here in a few minutes thanks to the guys in brown...Mods, feel free to delete the thread if need be, thanks again!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it takes serious torque...and, consequently, some folks have indeed reported hitting themselves with the wrenches as the finally loosen the nut. You might try a drop or two of penetrating oil on the nut, try again after it sits awhile.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The real secret for me in dealing with jam nuts like that is to put the wrenches on so that you can squeeze the two wrenches together. I'm not sure how to better describe this...but with both wrenches slightly apart...being able to squeeze them towards each other gives very nice leverage.

Urhuckleberry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The real secret for me in dealing with jam nuts like that is to put the wrenches on so that you can squeeze the two wrenches together. I'm not sure how to better describe this...but with both wrenches slightly apart...being able to squeeze them towards each other gives very nice leverage.

And so you don't wack yourself upside the noggin! Good pointer!:2tu: