NEED HELP QUICKLY!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!

viperbound

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WAS HAVING STEREO INSTALLED. INSTALLERS HAD KNOCKED OFF SOME WIRES ON TOP OF TRANSMISSION. DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY GO TO. ENGINE LIGHT KEEPS COMING ON, I MUST DRIVE CAR 1,000 MILES TOMORROW 4AM. IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT THESE WIRES ARE FOR PLEASE CALL ME IMMEDIATLY AT (707) 344-4354. ANY HELP WILL BE MUCHLY APPRECIATED.

THANK YOU,
NEW VIPER OWNER

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they are either the skip shift or the reverse lockout solenoid wires. They are on opposite sides of the transmision and the plugs are high up on the transmission. They are difficult to see with the belly pan attached.

The skip shift solenoid circuit will throw a code, however, it will not hurt anything. If it is the reverse lockout, I believe, you will not get it into reverse till you connect it.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can't get into reverse, turn the engine off and de-energize the solenoid. Put it in reverse and turn the engine on again.

Have a good trip.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom:

Isn't the solenoid alway in the lockout position and unlocks (energizes) when the car is under a certain rpm. If that is the case you cannot get into reverse unless it is reconnected. Probably doesn't matter I don't think the lockout solenoid will throw a hard code, it is probably the skip-shift.

OP
OP
V

viperbound

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can get into reverse just fine, seems to have somthing to do with skipshift. The light for skip comes on but I can still get into second. What is the skipshift for? Seems like care is running fine just have annoying engine light on.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack, you are right, and it's what the manual says, but I found when I rebuilt the T56 and forgot to reconnect the reverse solenoid that I couldn't get it in gear while engine running, but could when off. Just tried it again now, and I can engage reverse with engine off. Go figure.