Need help Transmission/Clutch noise

Tomas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Åland Islands (Baltic Sea Hawaii), FINLAND
Hello everyone.

Today I noticed that I have noise from my transmission. I hear noise when Im driving at any speed. And also when the car stand still at idle, but if I push the clutch pedal to the bottom the noise stops. What can be wrong? What can I check? Or can I have big failure in my clutch or transmission?

regards

Tomas

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And also when the car stand still at idle, but if I push the clutch pedal to the bottom the noise stops.

This particular sound is NGR (neutral gear rattle) and in perfectly normal for this tranny (Corvettes have the same noise as they also have the same tranny) Nature of the beast.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it something that has developed or just something you noticed (ie, is the car new to you?).

COuld just be NGR as noticed, perfecting normal, mine is so bad at a light I usually put the clutch in, the rattle drives me nuts.

Price you pay for having a rumbly kick-asp cam I guess!!

OP
OP
T

Tomas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Åland Islands (Baltic Sea Hawaii), FINLAND
Hello

Thanks for all reply. The sound is a whirring and scraping not rattling. The car is new to me, I bought it 3 months ago. I will change the transmission oil this weekend and see whats happend then. If the throw out bearing and spring have seperated, what about that?

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tomas, it sounds like you have a similar problem.

I also have a metalic scraping noise when you are moving and put a little peddle into it. I really notice it between 1500-3000RPM. The clutch seems grab with no problems but the noise is annoying. :confused: I brought the car to the dealer and they said they could not hear anything and it is fine. I really dont think it is. I thought it could be a throwout bearing. How can I tell other than pulling the trans down? Thanks.

Bandit400

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tomas,

There is a transmission oil modifier that should be added if the problem is NGR. It is always hard to diagnose when trying to describe a concern, but please feel free to send an email to our Service Dept., as we do alot of business overseas, and we can assist with the parts and assist you concerning your worries also. Ask for a VCA discount, and send your notes about your problem to Nancy Shanno at......

[email protected]

Good Luck and I hope we can help.

Bill Pemberton
4-2=426-4127
Woodhouse Viper

Mazman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re-opening an old thread - hopefully folks have more information on this.
My car seemed to have developed this clutch noise problem recently and it goes away when the clutch is pressed in. I had a short shifter adapter put in and the diff serviced a couple of weeks ago. They lowered the tranny to swap the shifter adapter. Also about a month ago the 15k mile service was done and all fluids were changed but I will have to check if the tranny modifier oil was used or not.
Any ideas? Maybe something not tightened properly?
thanks. Maz

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a rattling in my transmission. I took it back to Dodge. It took them three days just to hear the noise. It would only do it when the car was cold, so basically it would only do it once per day. The mechanic heard the grinding sound in neutral and in first gear with the clutch pedal depressed fully in. DC told him to replace the entire transmission. They sent out a new one, he swapped it, now I don't have any more noises.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
"Transmission oil modifier"...???

Thought the TSB on NGR for Gen I (94 and above) and early Gen II (96, 97, 98) which had factory fill of Dexron II-E and later Dexron III for 97 and 98) just called for Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant 75W-85 (which became the factory fill for 99 and later Vipers)...is there something else?
I know that the friction modifier has to be added to the diff fluid...didn't realize that there may be another use...guess that I'm getting senile at a faster rate than I thought !!!

tommygun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YOUR NOISE DOES SOUND LIKE A THROWOUT BEARING, FIND OUT IF THE CLUTCH HAS BEEN REPLACED, IF SO THEY MAY HAVE USED A "LUK" REPLACEMENT SET WHICH COMES WITH A THROWOUT BEARING. WE HAVE HAD NO LUCK USING THESE, IN FACT HAVE HAD ONE TRANS OUT THREE TIMES TRYING TO FIX THE NOISE, NOT BELIEVING A BRAND NEW BEARING COULD BE THE CUPLRIT, TURNS OUT THE REPLACEMENT BEARING DOES NOT SIT EXACTLY TE SAME IN THE SLAVE CYLINDER AND IS ACTUALLY A ***** HAIR OR TWO SHORTER THAN FACTORY. THERE IS USUALLY A GOOD IF NOT LOGICALLY REASON WHEN THE FACTORY DOES NOT SERVICE A COMPONENT THAT IS USUALLY REPLACED DURING A REPAIR. THE FACTORY SLAVE CYLINDER AND BEARING ASSEMBLEY IS THE ONLY WAY TO REPAIR THIS NOISE. IT IS ALSO POSSIBLE, NOT PROBABLE, THAT WHEN THEY LOWERED THE TRANS TO SERVICE FLUID THEY MAY HAVE DISTURBED THE BEARING. IN WHICH CASE SIMPLEY REINSTALLING THE BEARING PROPERLY MAY ADDRESS THE ISSUE. A SLAVE IS MUCH CHEAPER THAN COMPLETE REPLACEMENT.

Mazman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks - taking it in next week. Will post the findings.
BTW, is it OK to drive it around if its the bearing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian R