Need Help!! Viper has Blisters in Factory Paint !

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled my Silver 99 r/t 10 out of the garage today and noticed that there are tiny little blisters in the factory paint that were never there before. Yes the car is 10 years old now but is always garaged and I am meticulous with keeping the car clean and polished. These bumby paint blisters are more towards the rear of the car on the trunk deck, rear quarters, and in some spots on both doors. It appears the blisters are under the original clear coat and are not on the surface. However these blisters coming up through the bottom of the paint create a rough suface on top of the clear coat. Has anyone seen this before and what the cause might be? Is there any remedy besides re-painting the entire car? Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That blistering is "normal". It is very common on Gen 1's and 2's. I had it happened on my '98 pretty bad in places and there really isn't anything that can be done to stop it. Fortunately, the blisters can only be seen if you are close to the car.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have them too. Same area. They seem to come and go. I don't pay any attention.

My understanding as to the cause was that the resin in the body wasn't allowed enough time to dry and the solution is to sand all the paint off and then apply a heat lamp to it for a few days, then repaint. Dunno if that's true or not, but I remember reading it years ago.

Just drive and enjoy. Nobody is gonna care. In a couple hundred thousand miles you'll wanna repaint anyway and then you can fix the problem.

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same thing on the hood of my 94. Little raised spots the size of pin heads. Repaint is the only way to fix but not worth doing. Nobody seems to see them but me.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Charlie, give Tator a call and ask for the name of the painter he uses near him. Maybe they can look it over and give you some recommendations.

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tiger, I get my Nikon back on Monday and I'll take some pics.

Chuck 98 viper guru thanks for your help as always and shedding some light on this .

Wow! Someones trying to get a time out. :nono:

it was not too long ago the moderators would have jumped in on that kind of comment. :dunno: Was this in joking?

Now, about the original subject. On my Silver '99, the leading edge of the hood has had these same small paint blisters. They've never gotten larger, so I've just been careful when I clean the car. You really have to look hard to see them, but if I were to stripe the car, they would show up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! Someones trying to get a time out. :nono:

it was not too long ago the moderators would have jumped in on that kind of comment. :dunno: Was this in joking?

sometimes things just work themselves out all on their own:lmao:

back to paint-my GTS has the same bubbles, I just do what Chuck said...stop looking at them haha!

someday I will wet sand

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is much worse and since it is a dark color, it shows as whitish circles. When the blister breaks, the dull color shows and it retains a whitish circle around it as the clearcoat continues to come off.

I found that once the blister is broken, an air gun blows the clearcoat that has become unstuck off. It leaves less or no white edge and maybe that's when you can sand/paint/polish.

Here is my thread - near the end are some interesting technical explanations.

http://forums.viperclub.org/viper-detailing-tips-tricks/621015-how-bad-paint-can-get.html

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's just the clear coat blistering, and not the paint, how can that be atributed to the resin not being set up? On mine, the paint is what is blistering, and being along the edge, it makes sense that it has something to do with the paint prep. Did Dodge ever acknowledge they had this problem, and repaint cars?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did Dodge ever acknowledge they had this problem, and repaint cars?

I do believe so. I was looking at a GTS many years ago and ENTIRE LH quarter panel was ate up with more "pimples" than a 7th grade classroom. The salesman told me if I bought the car, they could easily get the car repainted under warranty.

I also remember talking to a female Viper owner in FL one day and she told me that she was taking her car to be repainted under warranty the next week due to the paint problem.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sometimes things just work themselves out all on their own:lmao:

Yeah, if you think I need my mommy or daddy after someone says I'm a Texas ASS...

Well, actually, I need a napkin to wipe the cake and ice cream up from the celebration! :rolaugh:

:famous:

Some people just don't think I'm funny, and the adopted terminology for them is Dave haters.

Welcome! :D

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, if you think I need my mommy or daddy after someone says I'm a Texas ASS...

Well, actually, I need a napkin to wipe the cake and ice cream up from the celebration! :rolaugh:

Some people just don't think I'm funny, and the adopted terminology for them is Dave haters.

on this post-nope:lmao:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have them too on both sides of the hood on my '98.
Took them 9 years to surface!
Bothered the heck out of me at first..but no one ever notices them but me.
You start to live with stuff like that as these cars age.

OP
OP
V

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dave, Glad you were heavily entertained and loose the ***** mouth, you can get kicked off the VCA and banned for life like past user BackNBlack for that kind of shxt.

Here's the latest, stopped by a reputable body shop and they told me there is no easy fix. The tiny blisters are under the paint and there is nothing wrong with the clear coat. The car's fiberglass would have to be stripped, primed and painted correctly. Something that wasn't done correctly at the factory back in 99. Everyone including Dave thanks for the collectivity and insight on this.

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, Glad you were heavily entertained and loose the ***** mouth, you can get kicked off the VCA and banned for life like past user BackNBlack for that kind of shxt.

Here's the latest, stopped by a reputable body shop and they told me there is no easy fix. The tiny blisters are under the paint and there is nothing wrong with the clear coat. The car's fiberglass would have to be stripped, primed and painted correctly. Something that wasn't done correctly at the factory back in 99. Everyone including Dave thanks for the collectivity and insight on this.

So if this means we're pals now, I really have other people in mind to upgrade my holiday greeting card list with.

Can I just send you a six-pack of empties and you'll make friends somewhere besides Texas?

Seriously though, if you think the VCA forums are strictly devoted to your problems with a team of labcoat wearing pocket protector nerds standing by at attention...

No, there are the jokers like me that litter the posts every now and then. My Disneyland here, hit the block Dave button to prevent further disruptions to your issues.

Take some of my pills. The stress at Dave's house adds years! :rolaugh:

OP
OP
V

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep the empties, you need the return deposit money to paint those crappy looking hood vents. The car is starting to look like its from Disneyland. Now go get my damn Holiday card, I know your going to need time picking it out.

Last edited by a moderator: