Need input on a 1994 RT/10 I just looked at.

papabear

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for input on a 1994 RT/10 I just looked at. I am looking for prices on what needs replaced on the car. Here is a rundown of the car.
Red with gray interior.
17000 miles
Has factory soft top and side windows that are in need of replacement. How much?
Rubber door seal around drivers door is ripped up with places missing along the bottom edge. New door seal price?
Tires look fairly new
Exhaust cover on passenger side is dented in about 1 inch deep by 4 inches long right at exhaust outlet. Price for repair or replacement?
All of the body seams are nice and even.
Could not see signs on a head gasket problem but have not had the car on a rack yet.
I would have to have a seat lowering kit as my head is hitting the soft top while in the car. The interior looks pretty worn for only 17000 miles. The drivers seat has had some type of leather repair done to it. It is very noticable. And the carpet on the drivers door is worn and pulled. I have pretty much ruled this car out for myself as I have been told a GTS has a little bit more room inside. But my friend that went with me is interested in knowing how much it would take to fix all the little problems. Any help is greatly appreciated.

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, great color & year :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

Top & windows I had to replace on mine also. A decent used soft top will run you at least $500. They can be much more, obviously depending on condition.
You'll probably want to get aftermarket windows as the OEMs sucked anyway. A nice set of Vipermanias are about $1100 new. (worth every penny)

As far as the door seal, exhaust cover, and carpet, I'd say call Chuck Tator.

Make sure you're positive about the head gaskets...if bad, anticipate around another 2K.

If you're a DIYer, most of the interior work and wear can be replaced/restored rather inexpensively.

I replaced/repainted my dash for around $80. Made the car look a zillion times better. If I knew how to post pics I would.

Post pics if you can

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have pictures, you can upload them from your computer on www.uploadit.org for free. And link them to the site.
Anyway, if you don't want to, send the pics to me, I can upload them for you.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there something in particular about this car that you want? You may just want to steer clear. Why bother with uncertainty when there are plenty of mint Gen Is to be had at very fair prices?

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have a reputable viper tech go over the car from top to bottom if your friend is serious about buying it. Sounds abused.

NatRT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is there something in particular about this car that you want? You may just want to steer clear. Why bother with uncertainty when there are plenty of mint Gen Is to be had at very fair prices?

I agree. The condition of the car you describe sounds 100 times worse than the '95 I bought with 29,000 miles. There are plenty of Gen 1's out there in excellent condition for very fair prices.

OP
OP
P

papabear

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have ruled the car out for myself. My friend I think is under the impression he can get some kind of deal on this car because of it's condition. I have tried to tell him that I doubt there is any deal to be had on this car. Asking price in the condition I have stated is 36000.00 and I doubt the dealership is going to come down enough to make this car a prospect for anyone. I have tried to explain that Viper parts are not cheap and that a new top and windows alone could run several thousand dollars. But I do appreciate the replys.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Asking price in the condition I have stated is 36000.00

HA! I feel sorry for the sap that ends up paying that.

If you're willing to pay in that ballpark, you can get a mint Gen I with that many miles, with both tops and windows, in flawless condition.

You are doing the right thing- Wait till the right one comes along, then never look back.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No disparaging but my 96 RT with both VMania tops and windows is for sale for a tick north of that price. My car isnt' mint but has three plus years left on a DC service plan.

Sorry for shameless plug.

OP
OP
P

papabear

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Papabear I`m 6'3" have no problem in the RT10.My knee hits the dash in the GTS when I shift.

Height is not a real problem as I am only 6'1". But my head was hitting right against the RT/10's top. For a RT/10 I would need the seat lowered a little to be comfortable. My real problem is width. I have really wide shoulders and torso so with the door shut I was pretty much door to console.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have ruled the car out for myself........ . Asking price in the condition I have stated is 36000.00.......

Ruling this one out is the best move you could have made.
If the price for this particular car begins with a 3 its too high...

But PARTSRACK has all the parts, and The V-mania New Windows at $125 less than the quote above..... and we are 22-27% off new parts.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How is the paint on the car and fascia? With only 17k miles it doesn't sound like it is worth quite that.

I have to disagree with JohnB.

The car needs a soft top/windows, side sill, new seat, some carpet and weather stripping and it should sell for under $30k? I have seen some Gen I's that fetch south of $30k and they have had far more issues than this one reads.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll bet the dealer sells it for more than $30k.

Aside from that, I'd advise against buying a Viper that need's much fixing up.
You can find a very good one for $36k. I wouldn't pay more than that for any gen1.