Need MXX3 Front Tires

JGarrett

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not trying to abuse anybody here; but I sincerely don't understand? Weren't these last made 9 years ago? Why does anyone want these tires? It would seem tires this old long ago would have lost their maximum grip and be well past their shelf-life (safety margin). A new set of Pilot Sports would seem in order. Discussion?

Cheers,
Jim

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They were making the MXX3's in Europe as late as 3 years ago. I bought some from John Purner. They were very nice since they came in shaved. I believe Porsch was using 2.85 and 3.25's as their race package.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't want to mix styles, so if he has MXX3 rears and doesn't want to upgrade, these are his only option.

Michelin states that 6 years from date of manufacture is still considered new, properly stored of course. These tires were last produced mid 1998. Optimal traction? Perhaps not. Safe? I'd use them, in fact I have a complete set of new MXX3's that I'll install in the spring. Some say that these are still better track tires than the replacements.

Then again, I don't run 150 MPH on a daily basis either.

Jim Peffers

Viper Owner
Reaction score
New tires will store quite well without deterioration if a few precautions are taken.
1) Store them in a relatively cool location (less than 75F if possible - I store my extra tires in the basement).
2) Keep them away from sunlight - elastomers and most plastics are very sensitive to ultaviolet radiation. This is the reason that garden hoses and plastic items left in the sun for extended lenghts of time become very brittle.
3) Keep them away from electrical appliances which produce ozone (anything with large electric motors, welders, transformers, etc.). Ozone reacts with rubber and breaks it down VERY rapidly. I was once playing around with an ozone generator in the lab and completely destroyed a piece of rubber vacuum line within 10min.
Hope this helps. Maybe I should have posted this in a different location.
:usa:

OP
OP
J

John Johns

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, guys. Looks like new MXX3 will be hard to find and too old anyway. I know not to mix and match, so I guess I'll go with Pilot Sports all around. I'll have some nice 335 rears with 5k miles on them for burnouts!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim:

good points with one possible exception, ozone, when discussed relative to electrical equipment, only happens when associated with VERY high electrical stress (corona). Corona is relegated to greater than 5,000 volt systems and if it was an issue the very conductors supplying the power would be failing since conductor insulation itself is extremely prone to ozone degradation - food for thought IMHO.

A more commercially available source of ozone would be the by-products of copy machines and any process using high levels of ultraviolet light.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can mix and match. I do it all the time. If you're tracking you gradually increase speed each lap and find out where the new limits are.

If you're driving on the street it's a moot point.