Need some Help: 2001 GTS drivers door will not open.

Peter K.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Help me get the door opened. We have several Vipers, the door button on my 01 GTS won't open the drivers door. Won't open with the regular door handle from the inside. Won't open with the upper rear emergency handle. Putting my ear up to the outside button I do hear the button click. My mechanic and I think we went thru everything we could. Passenger side operates as normal. Window is down as well.

BoondocSaint

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luckily I've never had to deal with this, but have read a surprising number of people on various Viper forums that have. Sounds like it's common to have wire breakage at the harness where it enters the door. I've also read that the broken wire may not be obvious, because the breakage could be inside the coating. Couldn't hurt to focus in that area and see if it turns up something new.

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Had to destroy the door panel on my first Viper (1993 RT/10) to get the door to open.

Luckily, found another one from a wrecked Viper.

Hate to think this is what you might have to do ...

Can't understand the emergency lever not working .. drat!!!!

ninetyninegts

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Luckily I've never had to deal with this, but have read a surprising number of people on various Viper forums that have. Sounds like it's common to have wire breakage at the harness where it enters the door. I've also read that the broken wire may not be obvious, because the breakage could be inside the coating. Couldn't hurt to focus in that area and see if it turns up something new.

It will be the wires inside the rubber boot. You will see wear on the boot that will corresponds to the area of the wires that need inspection. I had to repair several. Also modified curtain cover that caused wear, a little filing.

OP
OP
Peter K.

Peter K.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pretty self explanatory. 5mins to open. Maybe this week we'll put the latch on the bench and test, clean and repair if possible.

You must be registered for see images attach

BoondocSaint

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely looking forward to the final diagnosis. Hopefully it's nothing I ever have to deal with, but if the moment arises...

OP
OP
Peter K.

Peter K.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The car got me......The ole broken wire in the door trick. Made several preventative repairs while in there. And reconnected the emergency latch. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235