Need some trouble shooting tips on a coolant leak

Viper Blade

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello,

This will be my first post hope it's clear. The car is a 2000 ACR all stock. I entered a driving clinic a couple weeks ago. :drive:During the skid pad portion of the class, the car developed a coolant leak onto the left side exhaust resulting in a steam cloud, occasionaly, but mostly just a burning coolant smell after each run. I have been looking for the culprit ever since and cannot find trails of a leak.
  • There is no coolant in the oil.
  • No oil in the coolant.
  • Thermostat appears to have no leaks.
  • Temperature is fine.
  • No loss of coolant measurable-though it must be.
  • What I can see of the timing cover shows clean.
  • No wet spots on the floor.
  • Driving around town doesn't cause the steam or smell. Flinging the car around on the track does.
  • I don't see any wet spots on the driver side head, though I haven't lifted the car to inspect yet.
Anything I'm missing? I tried to be thorough but I'm totally capable of making mistakes, though I don't like to admit it.
If it's a head gasket how do I check it?
Just looking for some more troubleshooting techniques and areas to look.
Puzzling problem...
VB

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are you sure that it was coolant and not windshield cleaner puking from the tank due to a combination of G forces, overfill and poor sealing cap?

luc 00GTS

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting thought on the washer fluid, although burning glycol (OP said coolant smell) and burning washer fluid do not have the same smell. But I could see how in a moment of confusion or duress, that you could call one the other.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know you said left side exhaust, but...

The overflow bottle is in the front fascia on the right side (behind the foglight.) If it overflows, the fluid has an unobstructed run inside the fascia to the other side. Is this overflow container cap on tight? Is it still at the full mark? You can look at the level with a flashlight in the passenger front wheel well. You can touch it by removing the big rubber plug ahead of the RF tire. But filling it is another post....

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heck, maybe it was just some water sitting in the valley left over from a wash or something and you just sloshed it out on the skid pad? :dunno: But here goes...
Use a cooling system pressure tester. Pump it up to 15# while cold and wait for a drip/leak to appear. If no leak or pressure drop in 30+/- min. start the engine and watch the pressure gage on the tester. Jumping gage means blown headgasket. If no problem found, keep a close eye on all the fluid levels... How's the brake fluid level???... Clutch fluid level?? (both can smell a bit like coolant if they splash on a hot exhaustpipe) Any strange odors after shutdown??
- J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Call me some after-noon when you are at your car, prefer cool / cold motor. NOT hot. We are gonna expand on FlogorTom's theory, and also talk about the heater core. JonB.

Hello,

This will be my first post hope it's clear. The car is a 2000 ACR all stock. I entered a driving clinic a couple weeks ago. :drive:During the skid pad portion of the class, the car developed a coolant leak onto the left side exhaust resulting in a steam cloud, occasionaly, but mostly just a burning coolant smell after each run. I have been looking for the culprit ever since and cannot find trails of a leak.
  • There is no coolant in the oil.
  • No oil in the coolant.
  • Thermostat appears to have no leaks.
  • Temperature is fine.
  • No loss of coolant measurable-though it must be.
  • What I can see of the timing cover shows clean.
  • No wet spots on the floor.
  • Driving around town doesn't cause the steam or smell. Flinging the car around on the track does.
  • I don't see any wet spots on the driver side head, though I haven't lifted the car to inspect yet.
Anything I'm missing? I tried to be thorough but I'm totally capable of making mistakes, though I don't like to admit it.
If it's a head gasket how do I check it?
Just looking for some more troubleshooting techniques and areas to look.
Puzzling problem...
VB

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And ... if everything else fails use some food coloring in the rad (Red?) and see where the color is since the coloring won't evaporate you should be able to see where the color comes from.

Ted

OP
OP
V

Viper Blade

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know you said left side exhaust, but...

The overflow bottle is in the front fascia on the right side (behind the foglight.) If it overflows, the fluid has an unobstructed run inside the fascia to the other side. Is this overflow container cap on tight? Is it still at the full mark? You can look at the level with a flashlight in the passenger front wheel well. You can touch it by removing the big rubber plug ahead of the RF tire. But filling it is another post....

Hmm I didn't lose much but I will look for traces. I could see the fluid siting on the left side valve cover.

OP
OP
V

Viper Blade

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Heck, maybe it was just some water sitting in the valley left over from a wash or something and you just sloshed it out on the skid pad? :dunno: But here goes...
Use a cooling system pressure tester. Pump it up to 15# while cold and wait for a drip/leak to appear. If no leak or pressure drop in 30+/- min. start the engine and watch the pressure gage on the tester. Jumping gage means blown headgasket. If no problem found, keep a close eye on all the fluid levels... How's the brake fluid level???... Clutch fluid level?? (both can smell a bit like coolant if they splash on a hot exhaustpipe) Any strange odors after shutdown??
- J
Didn't wash it first and more than one person noticed the coolant smell. The car was not running hot. I'll check both fluids as recommended and try to get a pressure tester. The only strange odor smells to me exactly like coolant on a hot exhaust.
VB

OP
OP
V

Viper Blade

Viper Owner
Reaction score
are you sure that it was coolant and not windshield cleaner puking from the tank due to a combination of G forces, overfill and poor sealing cap?

luc 00GTS
How about power steering fluid? The power steering pump appears grimy from fluid as does the area around it and the cap does not have an o-ring to seal it to the tank.
VB

OP
OP
V

Viper Blade

Viper Owner
Reaction score

luc 00GTS

I first thought it was but I've smelled burning coolant too many times on too many vehicles. I am curious if power steering fluid might have the same smell as the power steering reservoir doesn't appear to seal well.
Track officials noticed the coolant smell too.
VB

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4