Need Supercharger Advice for Hennessey Venom 550

96ViperCS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all. I apologize if there is an existing thread out there that answers this question but I have been looking for a while and haven't seen the complete answer.

I have a 1995 RT/10 with the Hennessey Venom 550 kit installed. I am not 100% sure what the Venom enhancements entail but I do not believe that the stock pistons were replaced. I am considering a supercharger and am looking for opinions/experience. My instinct is to go with the Roe System (like the looks, ease of installation, and I hear it is best for the 1/4 mile) but am open to Paxton or others if the forum advises.

Appreciate recommendations or answers to some of the following questions?

+Anyone out there that put a Roe on top of their Hennessey enhancements?

+What PSI would you recommend (I was leaning towards 6.5 or 8 if the engine will take it). If I go that aggressive what are the downsides? I assume I would need the Methanol Injection. Would the car be able to run regular premium fuel? Would it pass emissions? Other down sides? Not looking to blow up the engine or make standard driving impossible but would love to add some more HP for track days.

+Anyone have any idea what the RWP would be if I started with the Venom 550 and added the supercharger?

+I am at altitude in Denver. Anything I should consider?

+As long as I am doing this would you recommend the piston upgrade? I am concerned about reliability but another $1500 bucks! Looks cheap compared to a screwed engine though.

Can anybody tell that I am a little nervous about this??? Sorry guys. Don't want to mess up my new baby! BTW, these Viper forums are great! Thanks to all in advance for the opinions and help!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
first find out what the mods are to your engine...

what compression ratio, rockers...etc

Da1cop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a custom Paxton kit for a Gen I that I will be selling. It is complete with high end fuel system and vec III. The kit produced 800HP but you can use less boost if you wish. You are fine with your setup as you already have forged slugs. Installation is avaliable too through PBJ.

OP
OP

96ViperCS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is what I was able to find out about the Hennessey 550 kit based on some promotional literature that came with the car. I'm assuming all of this is done already:

Includes: HMS 3 inch stainless steel exhaust and 1.75 inch header system, HMS competition air induction system, HMS throttle bodies, HMS hi-flow intake manifold, valvetrain upgrade, 1.7 ratioshaft roller rockerarms, HMS 550 Camshaft upgrade, Venom Cyliner heads (3-angle valve job, extreme duty valve springs, bronze valve guides, titanium retainers, porting and polishing of intake and exhaust runners and special preparation of the combustion chamber, 10:1 compression), HMS Venom 550 PCM (computer) upgrade, silicone spark plug wires.

Reported 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. 11.7 second 1/4 mile @ 121 mph. Top speed 187 mph.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd call Sean Roe and talk to him. He will tell you if there are incompatibilities with his SC. I think your car will clearly need a custom tune, regardless of which SC you choose. Roe will probably help you with that.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10.0:1 CR and a ROE. Not an ideal combo for HIGH HP but it will make some solid power. Try a 6.5 PSI or 8psi with W/M. If it detonates you either have too much timing, not enough W/M (make sure you mix 50/50) or run race gas. Or you can switch to a lower boost pulley.

Definitely doable if you aren't looking to go crazy.

JD

Venom-US

Enthusiast
Reaction score
96ViperCS,

It was nice meeting you at Bandimere. Did you win the best of show? If not, you should have. Very nice car you have there. Did you talk with Bob David @ the track? He installed a Roe supercharger on Berry's car that has the Venom 500. He's on this site sometimes so he may chime in. If not, send me a PM and I will give you his number. Hope to see you at the next rally.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have 10:1 pistons I wouldn't go with anything higher than the 5 or 6 lb. pulley.

Although with Mr. H you never know what you REALLY have. Did anyone actually see him installing these pistons? I wouldn't trust anything with his name on it but that's another thread.

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is that other than smooth tubes and exhaust, you really don't know what you have. JH was notorious for taking clients money and only installing what can be seen. Your heads might not have ever come off your motor. You can look inside your valve cover and see if you have the stamped rockers or some type of roller rocker. If you do have roller rockers, make sure they are shaft mount as he use to use a bad rocker that wouldn't ride on the valve stems correctly and eventually ruin the valve. It happened to me. I would say if you really want to do it right, pull the heads. This way you can freshen them up, have a head shop tell you what compression you are actually running and also have new head gaskets to handle whatever you are blowing. As for the cam, you probably would just want to leave whatever is in there, stock or not.