never buy a viper from ebay with out a personal inspection

MIKE-HKS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i went to see this viper, and oh my god, the car had been repainted on the front, rear, hood , riped driver seat, wax all over the lines between the panels , and it still had scratches, the int looked so worn out and old , the rims had been polish and they looked like they where done in the 80s, they could'nt afford viper tires so they put on corvette 315's on it
big gap in the lights and hood , you could tell it had been damaged before and a sorry repair was done ,,, the car just plain looked like crap..
and under item discription a perfect gts acr with new tires wow
they didn't even say anything about the rip drivers seat on the auction incredible lucky i went to see it in person.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2489764645&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The seller's description under Vehicle Condition, is "Excelent". It's funny how different people percieve that one word... Glad you didn't bid on that car. Be patient and find the "right" car, you'll know it when you see it. (in person)

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pics do look very impressive. Black color is tough to hide paint blemishes. The 315's might have been just put on the front rims as there does look to be some sidewall extending out past the rim edges. Stock sized 275's if you lay the rim down it will touch the pavement before the tire sidewall will.

CMilViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Hood/Headlight gaps don't look big at all in the pics........I've seen much more noticeable gaps on many accident free Vipers.

Good luck on your search.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure looks good in the pics! I flew to Florida to buy a red ACR a couple of years ago. It was a repainted piece of CRAP! When I read your decription, I figured it was the same car!!!

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd recant the 315/covette thing if I was you, as no new vette even comes with 315's, even the z06 is 295's. Anyway, he bought what seems to be 315's up front and POSSIBLY 345's in the rear. But DEFINETLY those are NOT 315's in the rear. Other then that I must concur the pics look good, but you saw it in person, so I trust a human eye over a camera any day.

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd recant the 315/covette thing if I was you, as no new vette even comes with 315's, even the z06 is 295's. Anyway, he bought what seems to be 315's up front and POSSIBLY 345's in the rear. But DEFINETLY those are NOT 315's in the rear. Other then that I must concur the pics look good, but you saw it in person, so I trust a human eye over a camera any day.

The ZR1 came with 315's.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The ZR1 came with 315's.

oh is the ZR1 new ?? I guess I missed where I said "no new vette", thats why I avoided saying "NO VETTE HAS EVER." and to even futher cover my ***, I bet the zr1 didnt have 18 inch rims like the viper. ;-)

You caught me though. :D

When the hell we gonna get the local guys together ? You, your cousin, and the two Jo(h)ns and anyone else willing to hang out with us?

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, THINK. He just doesn't want us to bid so he can get the car cheaply. I'm jumping in! (That car is a creampuff.)

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What did the seller say when you pointed out all of those flaws and basically told him that it was a NOT in excellent shape?

Obviously the previous owner was not a typical ********* derranged Viper owner!

OP
OP
M

MIKE-HKS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
he said yes the parts where repainted but he didn't know if it had been previously damaged...
excellent is not the same for everybody.
i didn't expect a perfect car it has 30k miles on it and its a 2000, but it's just from the pictures to real life that car was a long way from excellent .
its so hard to find a clean viper for a good price here in florida.

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
car is def nice, i mean it's a used 30k miles car, it's not a brand new, plus most vipers got their front bumper repaint due to the scratches....so...

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The ZR1 came with 315's.

oh is the ZR1 new ?? I guess I missed where I said "no new vette", thats why I avoided saying "NO VETTE HAS EVER." and to even futher cover my ***, I bet the zr1 didnt have 18 inch rims like the viper. ;-)

When the hell we gonna get the local guys together ? You, your cousin, and the two Jo(h)ns and anyone else willing to hang out with us?

ERDOC told me he won't hang out with anyone who doesn't have an "h" in their name, so you're SOL :)

DR VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i find e-bay being a great tool for shopping for some things...but when it comes to cars,I would definitely want to see it before making any decisions!
I've never bought a car off e-bay....so I can't speak from experience...

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been collecting some records on ACR's for quite a while and I had that one in my radar. That car was offered by a dealer in NV in March of 2003. At that time it had 29k miles. The car came from Cali and the front was repainted. The previous sellers Ebay ID was gemesis.

OP
OP
M

MIKE-HKS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been collecting some records on ACR's for quite a while and I had that one in my radar. That car was offered by a dealer in NV in March of 2003. At that time it had 29k miles. The car came from Cali and the front was repainted. The previous sellers Ebay ID was gemesis.

in the pic it looks so good, when you see all the details in person damnnnnn looks so beat up and raged out, half of the gas cap was even sanded down like they wet sanded the car with 2000 grit to buff it, and they hit the gas cap to and left it like that, insted of polishing it.

another friend had test drove it a couple of months back when they where trying to sell it and he says it was running on 9cyl
i dont know cause i didn't bother driving it.

tarfungo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wondered about this issue myself.

I recently purchased a snake that I originally found on Ebay. Like you have mentioned, I would NEVER buy a car sight unseen no matter what guarantees are made or what condition the current owner ‘thinks’ his or her vehicle is in.

In my case, I waited out the auction - no sale was completed - and then made arrangements with the owner to see the car. I had to make two air flights to view and then have an inspection before I made an offer. All along the guy I was dealing with was pleasant and forthcoming. Over the week or so it took to finalize my deal, it was apparent the seller was looking for someone who would take care of this snake as much as he was looking for a qualified buyer. It almost felt like I was adopting my snake as much as making a purchase! When all was said and done, the car I ended up purchasing was as advertised and the guy I purchased from was very cool. Knowing what I knew AFTER viewing and inspecting, I would have had no problem pulling the Ebay trigger for my snake as it was offered on Ebay, but not before a personal look-see. Everything about my sale was positive, as any car sale should be.

Has anyone here ever bought a car off of Ebay sight-unseen? Short of actually seeing and inspecting any vehicle – especially a fairly expensive vehicle - I’m thinking that clicking that ‘Make a bid’ or “Purchase Now’ button take a guy or gal with huge ka-honies!

Cheers!

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is amazing how good a car looks with digital photos. So forgiving, even in black.

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My business partner bought a 1964 Morgan on e-bay recently. He bought it sight unseen. We flew to New York to get it and what a surprise! The car was EVEN BETTER than the pictures indicated. The shop we bought it from sent someone to pick us up at the airport and were very nice people.

There are some bad people on e-bay but there are also some resonable ones. These guys were more than reasonable.

--Rob

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a car on eBay described "just like new". I knew it couldn't be because new is new and used is used. I bid on a used car, not a new one. Most cars are over-described.

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The ZR1 came with 315's.

ERDOC told me he won't hang out with anyone who doesn't have an "h" in their name, so you're SOL :)
I'm having some people over to watch the Ohio State/ NC State game Saturday. Come over around 2pm. PM if you are interested.

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my viper has similar hood-headlights gap and has never been in an accident...

but yes, the car looks good on the pics...

alex
few cars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960