New 08 Viper or a Ford GT

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Subject line pretty much sums it up.

I am just debating on either getting a Ford GT or wait til the new O8 comes out and make it an addition to my current SRT-10.

The cost will be a lot less but I really think the GT prices should start coming down to the point that they might just be comparable to the 08 Viper prices.

Problem is that I have been reading some posts on the GT forum and it seems like this car is not without problems, especially half shaft problems. ..Hmmm. This problem in particular seems to be common in this car at low mileage and has actually happened to some owners more then once.

What do you guys think? What would you do?
If you own both the Viper and the GT , I would really like to hear from you.

Thanks
Patrick
:2tu:

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My buddy owns a GT and the car gets a lot of looks and rides equally as well. However, like my Gen 1 Viper he has had it in the shop 3+ times for random check engine lights, broken suspension pieces and something else with the transmission (popping out of gear I think). The cause and faults I am not totally sure, but it is clear that Ford dealer doesn't want to service the car.

I think that they are fantastic and will be great collector's pieces one day. Wish my purview was more than a couple of years or I might have bought one myself.

Viper is bullet proof...

OP
OP
W

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My buddy owns a GT and the car gets a lot of looks and rides equally as well. However, like my Gen 1 Viper he has had it in the shop 3+ times for random check engine lights, broken suspension pieces and something else with the transmission (popping out of gear I think). The cause and faults I am not totally sure, but it is clear that Ford dealer doesn't want to service the car.

I think that they are fantastic and will be great collector's pieces one day. Wish my purview was more than a couple of years or I might have bought one myself.

Viper is bullet proof...

Yes I have read about the suspension and tranny issues as well........

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If money was not an issue, I would get the GT. When they're gone, they're gone.

04mystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think a GT is a great collector car, just because of what it represents. But I cannot get myself to like the looks of that car. We saw one going down the road the other day and my fiance said, "eww that car is ugly". LOL and she is one of those girls that doesnt put too much thought into vehicles. The 08 is 100% better in my opinion

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I find myself in the same predicament. I am trying to sell my Vipers to get a GT but it's slow right now. The GT's are drying up fast. 2 weeks ago, I couold choose from 10 in the color and options I wanted. Of those 10, only two are left to my knowledge. The car will not go down in price, limited production, supercar performance, awesome styling, huge success for FORD! If I could pull the trigger on a GT right now, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The 08' Viper will be nice and you can't go wrong with it. I'd just like something else.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew there were a few problems, but that many? I had no idea about that. Thanks for the info guys. As for the GT, I am not a huge fan, nice car for others but not my cup of tea. Either way you will be happy but I would hate to have a GT out of warranty with all those types of problems occuring.

bigmike32172

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jst look at it this way, if you want a car that's overpriced to keep it a rarity on the road, then buy the GT.
If you want somehting that is almost as rare, but will blow away pretty much anything ever made then choose the viper.
I honestly wouldn't buy anything that ford made after owning several of their vehicles, not even if hey came out with a 1000HP car for under $100K, but that's just the backyard mechanics point of view. ;-)

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Ford GT is probably the better long term investment, if one could consider a car an investment. (at this stage in its life, they are both 2 new)

The new 08 will most likely beat the GT in all performance numbers, so no longer is it "get the GT cuz its faster"

Fords **** for reliability and this Ford GT is proving the point well.

I love Vipers, but I think the Ford GT is more exotic and its a cooler beast (mid engine, super charged from the factory, etc)

So depends rarity = Ford GT, Performance is New Viper. (Funny, in 06 the ford gt meant rarity AND best performance... no longer.. way to go Dodge!!)

So thats my vote. Show piece, Ford GT it will hold its value better then the new 08 Viper (which will get a sticker premium but then will start falling in price) eventually the Ford GT will go up in price. All out performance and value, 08 Viper.

Simple answer, you cant go wrong with either !! GO AMERICAN !!

Jon

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offense to any Viper owners for I've had six and currently own a 2006 VOI car. The GT runs circles around the Viper, case closed. All this crap about problems is ridiculous, of course it has issues for it was only 18 months from the drawing board to production. The Viper has been around since 1992 and they still have quirks. The early suspension problems were resolved quickly and some cars are having axle bolt problems. My 2006 GT has 2700 miles on it and so far it has been bullet proof. The car is so much more well balanced then the Viper and has a few legs up in the handling dept. The 0-60 and 1/4 times are close but the GT still excels. No more are being built so it already is a classic and once all the new cars are sold shortly the value will flatten out and then start to rise. Like I said I love the Viper but it's triple A baseball compared to the major leagues with the GT. Again read that I have both so no offense is meant here.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No offense to any Viper owners for I've had six and currently own a 2006 VOI car. The GT runs circles around the Viper, case closed. All this crap about problems is ridiculous, of course it has issues for it was only 18 months from the drawing board to production. The Viper has been around since 1992 and they still have quirks. The early suspension problems were resolved quickly and some cars are having axle bolt problems. My 2006 GT has 2700 miles on it and so far it has been bullet proof. The car is so much more well balanced then the Viper and has a few legs up in the handling dept. The 0-60 and 1/4 times are close but the GT still excels. No more are being built so it already is a classic and once all the new cars are sold shortly the value will flatten out and then start to rise. Like I said I love the Viper but it's triple A baseball compared to the major leagues with the GT. Again read that I have both so no offense is meant here.

How dare you!!!! When can I come up and see those car? :2tu:

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll go with the 2008 Viper. I like the Ford GT, but to me, the styling is old. The other thing is, we drive our Viper on trips. If you want to pack more than your lunch, the Ford GT is the wrong car. I guess it's all personal taste, and how you want to use, (or not use) the car. :2tu:

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy, Viper, if you have to have the GT look, get a kit, they're far more solid than the ones ford makes..

Why anyone pays $150k for a car that's been out for 30 years, with copies/kits all over the place for 40k, I'll never know...

I thought about the GT, just isn't worth it IMO, and my wife hates the way they look, go figure, I think they're cool.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of these present day supercars are great. You can not go wrong with any of them. Hell I will even throw the Vette in this group as well.

Buy what excites you and makes, begs and pushes you to get into it to drive it every chance you get. Only you can make the decision as to what to buy.

I was looking recently and settled on the 06' Viper coupe. Got a great deal where as the Ford (Saleen manufacturered) GT was NOT coming down on price any time soon. The Vette Z06 just did not excite me as much as the Viper. I did not even look at the performance numbers. Just looks, passion and price. The Z06s also have varying **** stickers. Been ***** before so I must grow from it.

Call it a phobia but I have owned over 6 Saleen vehicles in my time and just will not go there again. I still have my 95' S351R Speedster which was the best of the bunch that I owned, but shelling out $150K+ for a GT or $500K+ god forbid for an S7, knowing Saleen quality???? I just can do it no matter how much praise they get.

The two guys I know with GTs have not had a single problem, but they do not drive them hard or as much. The three guys I know with Z06s also have not had problems.

it is the same as all the bd magazine articles on how bad the Viper was and were false. It is just rumor.

Any of these present day supercars are great. Buy what excites you, and what you can afford.

Don't count on the collectibility of these present day supercars. There are just way to many variables now that can kill the collectibility status. Complete change to alternate fuels where we can't even fill it with gas to drive it because all current config. gas gets phased out in 30 years? That would do it. Drive it, enjoy it for what it is.

Just my opinion! I would get the new 08' Viper because it will be $50K less than the Ford GT. Is the Ford GT $50K more exciting than the Viper? No! Is it a better car? Absolutely it is and should be. Will somethign else come along that will get you hard all over again and you will be happy you have that extra $50K to purchase the new eye candy. Yes you will be very happy at that point.

Rick

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Pat D, I think you are wrong about "prices coming down." It'd be nice to have a SRT -AND- a FordGT, 'ay?

Jdoc, I GOTTA agree with you.

Coupe - You are certainly correct about GT vs Viper...I had 2-track days in a GT last fall... AMAZING ! But ANY Viper is waaay more practical (!!) than a GT !

BillH, I chuckle at the 'old styling' comment, but you are correct: Feed your Passion.

OP
OP
W

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find myself in the same predicament. I am trying to sell my Vipers to get a GT but it's slow right now. The GT's are drying up fast. 2 weeks ago, I couold choose from 10 in the color and options I wanted. Of those 10, only two are left to my knowledge. The car will not go down in price, limited production, supercar performance, awesome styling, huge success for FORD! If I could pull the trigger on a GT right now, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The 08' Viper will be nice and you can't go wrong with it. I'd just like something else.

I don;t know about them drying up quickly. I still see quite a few around for sale.
Here's some examples.........Keep in mind the prices are in CDN dollars. You need to add at least 20% for taxes and gas guzzler....bla bla bla...

http://www.trader.ca/search/Results.asp?...gory=&CAT=1

Thanks for all your responses.

Patrick

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say a used Gallardo. The prices are decent on Gallardos out of warranty, and you have the Lambo cache. I might add that if you want to **** with 50 year old guys at the local car show then the Viper or GT are the way to go, but if you like to go out and maybe like a younger crowd, then American is not the answer - BUT - what it really comes down to is what YOU would have the most fun driving in a vacuum. Perhaps your body does not fit as well in a GT as in another and you would be uncomfortable. Maybe you cannot live with the side sill heat of the Viper and rear placement of the engine is a big benefit. Perhaps you will tire of a plain interior. Sounds like you need to beg/borrow some seat time in each car on your list and re-decide after driving them.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phoenix:

Good point. The Gallardo is a great idea and they are pretty cheap maintence wise, as long as something does not break which is rare because they are built so well.

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on the GT and in an "either/or" situation, I would stick with the GT. Bone stock these cars are putting out 520-550 RWHP and with an inexpensive pulley change, it is unbelievable.

I may pick up the 2008 Viper to sit right along side of it but it could not take it's place. The GT is out of production and here to stay.

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gallardo is beautiful but with all wheel drive and a high revving engine, it gets boring quick according to Big Carrot.

No torque and no rear wheels pushing the fun.

If you liked the way the big torque felt in the Viper, you will not enjoy the Gallardo as much once the shine of owning a Lambo wears off...

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with the GT , you can always come back to a Viper. I think the GT will keep it's value from here on out and you might even make money if you hang on to it long enough. Do the pulley and tune for some easy HP. I don't like Fords , but that is one Ford worth the money.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21