New ACR. How to tie it down on a trailer?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Took delivery of a new graphite, black center, red driver's stripe ACR yesterday. First impressions are very positive.

Got a good look under it today. Hard to believe that SRT wouldn't think about this for a track car, but the rear of the slick new CF front splitter extends over / past the oblong holes in the front of the frame that I've been inserting R-hooks into to tie down the front of my GTS and SRT-10s while trailering for the past 4 years. Can't get an R-hook into the frame at this point.

So, you guys that are trailering your ACR's to the track, how are you tying down the front of your cars? I'm thinking I'll just wrap a couple of tie down straps - one on each side - around the front of the lower control arms and connect my straps to them, but don't really like this idea. I guess I could use a Dremel and cut out the CF where it's in the way, but don't really want to do that either.

Suggestions / ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used the wheels with a pad around the wheel under the strap to protect the finish on the wheels, before I bought the "r" hook straps! I dont like the lower control arm either!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The control arm method is the only reasonable choice. I faced this same situation round trip to VOI. When loading with Gary Almond we discovered the same situation. Talked to Woodhouse and using the control arms was the solution. That's the way they deliver an ACR.
Using the wheels on an ACR can lead to the paint rubbing off as the wheels are painted. Unlike other Viper models.
Two way trip to Detroit went fine. I'm always fine with whatever Woodhouse says is the right way.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would you please post some pictures of the "R" hooks? I use my tie down straps with the "J" hooks, but if there is a safer way, I'll do it. Thanks.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Suggestion, when straping down the car, I use the "X ing" method, and by using this method, the axle strap actually slides up to the bracket area where the control arm is attached to the body, so when I winch down the strap it is actually pulling more on the bracket at the frame then only on the control arm, and by the X method I feel that the car won't hop around on/in the trailer....my $.02 best of luck

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I'll try the control arms in the front and continue with the R-hooks at the rear.

I'll likely cross the fronts; we'll see how that works out. I don't really want to touch the CF splitter parts if I can avoid it.

I always cross the rears. Never had a car move in my trailer - so far.

Perhaps AW direct makes a smaller hook that will fit into the frame hole up front. I'll check.

Bandit,

Go to the AW direct site. You'll find R hooks and many other tie down products on their website. All first quality.

Dan

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can always lay down e track & use an etrack method...Holds great, car does not move.