New Best MPH with a Bone Stock GTS

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Please share the details. Launch technique, RPM, Shift points, tires (brand and psi), power shifting (no lift off of the throttle at all?), etc.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a 50 degree day, that's about right for a stock car with a good driver. A little better, but not too much. These cars are fast fellas! Magazines that rate them at 12.4's don't know how to drive!

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have put mine on the track 3 times and the results are below. Even on a cool day it will take one hell of a driver to see those times. Congrats and you obviously have a very strong car.

My times were on drag radials with tubes/filters, muffler delete and rr's. Dang creampuffs.

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
97 GTS , was the fastest from the factory.

I hear that repeated a lot, but never anyone saying what makes 97's different from any other GENII pre-2000. This bugs me, not sure why, but it does. This site lists the cam specs. It shows slightly diff cam by .001 less lift for 1996 and 1997. I have to believe that is a misprint because .001 difference in lift can't amount to much of anything.

The 1996 - 1999 GTS and the 1997 - 1999 RT/10 have the same cam, engine, trans, rear end, gears, tires, etc. Even the frame is basically the same (not sure if it is identitcal). The weights of these cars are even all basically the same (except for the no option ACR). I have heard of the computers being slightly different in programming for throttle response, but at WOT I would think they are the same. How can a 1997 possibly be faster than any others? I don't think it is. If it is then why?

GRAPE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard that some late 97 production cars had a different camshaft due to a shortage at the factory????? My dad's 97 was built in december of 97 and has a noticeable lump at idle. It also ran a [email protected] in the fall of 2000 on the original tires with a 1.97 60'.