New C6 looks like SRT 10 ! Spy pics!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks like a C5 that somebody is customizing. The fender peaks are no pronounced enough to match the other spy pics. And that picture with the open door and the pickup truck backed up and trees outside just doesn't look right for GM corporate. I looked around the site, does the guy say where he got the pics or what the story is, I could not find anything. The only thing that makes me think it MIGHT be real is that machine it's on, it looks like something to measure body panels, so it might be at some vendors shop who is going to build the body panels.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hahha, the C6 is copying the new Gen viper without a doubt. I guess they are trying to lure any potential viper buyers over while keeping their faithfull vette owners. Cmon GM be original!

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks like the real deal from the new pic GM released of the front fender/headlight last month.
Looks like there's some Viper influence for sure.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
11-11 Automotive Design and Production Magazine

" When Chevrolet rolls out the 6th gen Corvette at the North American Inter. Auto Show in January, the Gen 4 V8 will have a reported 405 hp, the same as the current Z06. Insiders at both GM and suppliers say the Z06 will have an even 500hp, but will not be the most powerful Corvette. That prize will belong to the limited production ZL1 twin turbo which is producing 625 hp in production trim. The Gen4 has thinner bore walls, stronger bulkheads, and retains the cast-in-place iron cylinder liners. The casting process includes a mechanically induced rapid chilling of the bulkheads to promote swift directional solidification of the aluminum and a fine grain structure , both of which improve dimensional stability. A composite barrel crank core replaces the current segmented barrel design, again for tighter and more consistant bore dimensions. The cores are screwed and glued together, the aluminum is pumped in rather than poured, and all the oil galleries are drilled and machined."

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look's like we won't have bragging rights much longer.

It's hard to beat GM when they really want to do something.

I wonder what the C6 will use for a rear and axles?

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look's like we won't have bragging rights much longer.

It's hard to beat GM when they really want to do something.

I wonder what the C6 will use for a rear and axles?

Dodge will up the anty with the coupe, and come out with a mid cycle "race version" like the GTS-R.

It is just a matter of personal and financial choice GM or Dodge, Viper or Corvette.

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Posted in the Pit too....

:cool: Remember one thing..... It's still ONLY a Corvette! :D

What do they make like 5,000 of these for every one of ours? (I just pulled that number out of my ear. I really don't have a clue, other than they make a whole bunch more of those toy cars than they do of our MONSTERS!)

Mopar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hahha, the C6 is copying the new Gen viper without a doubt. I guess they are trying to lure any potential viper buyers over while keeping their faithfull vette owners. Cmon GM be original!

Gerald, while I'm not 100% sold on the look, to say GM i s"Un-Original and copying the SRT-10" is absurd.

Look at the fender lines, it screams C3 Vette NOT Gen III Viper.

You must be registered for see images

Speaking of originallity, I wonder where Dodge stole the SRT-10 rims from???

Can you say Z06?? :D

556.jpg

OP
OP
M

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looks like a Viper to me...
The nose,hood and fenders are dead on!

WPG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope... still can't see the similarity. :p

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Imitation is the most serious form of flattery"

"If you can't beat them join them"

But mostly "second *****"

Guess they finally gave up and decided to come and play with the big boys.

Bill
(but it is still just a 'Vette; sell your Viper-buy one and YOU can list in you signature "one of 523,687,493"

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
11-11 Automotive Design and Production Magazine

" When Chevrolet rolls out the 6th gen Corvette at the North American Inter. Auto Show in January, the Gen 4 V8 will have a reported 405 hp, the same as the current Z06. Insiders at both GM and suppliers say the Z06 will have an even 500hp, but will not be the most powerful Corvette. That prize will belong to the limited production ZL1 twin turbo which is producing 625 hp in production trim. The Gen4 has thinner bore walls, stronger bulkheads, and retains the cast-in-place iron cylinder liners. The casting process includes a mechanically induced rapid chilling of the bulkheads to promote swift directional solidification of the aluminum and a fine grain structure , both of which improve dimensional stability. A composite barrel crank core replaces the current segmented barrel design, again for tighter and more consistant bore dimensions. The cores are screwed and glued together, the aluminum is pumped in rather than poured, and all the oil galleries are drilled and machined."

625 HP in production trim....... It sounds like The General is finally stepping up to the plate with this one. I am sure tuners will have all kinds of kits to up the boost on this ZL1 twin turbo!

All I can say is I hope Dodge is working on a twin turbo kit for the Viper! It would be a shame to let the GM crowd get a leg up on the Vipers!

I say Dodge should do a Hemi head, dual overhead cam, twin turbo.

Also there should be an AWD option for the Dodge Viper supercar!

Just my .02

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
production twin turbo vette from gm. forget about it. that is pure fantasy. it will never happen for just about any reason u can think of. the base vette will be upped to 405 hp and the Z06 will be offered as a 'na' motor making somewhere between 425 hp and 474 hp.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
production twin turbo vette from gm. forget about it. that is pure fantasy. it will never happen for just about any reason u can think of. the base vette will be upped to 405 hp and the Z06 will be offered as a 'na' motor making somewhere between 425 hp and 474 hp.

Your 100% correct. I mean comeon, When is the last time you saw a car company "really" step up to the plate with a "real" car over 500HP that passes current emmissions in CA. Dodge, with the viper. Period the end. GM does not have the balls.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No competition,cuz the SRT-10 comes with rims and tires, and it is obvious from the first picture that this is GMs new Hovercraft. So the new C6 will **** or is that blows, I just don't know my Hovercraft physics?

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of originallity, I wonder where Dodge stole the SRT-10 rims from???

Can you say Z06?? :D

Actually the concept coupe (later to become the Comp Coupe) had those rims and was touring the show circuit well before the Z06 was ever even shown, forget about released. So GM actually "stole" that design from Dodge.

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK...I know I will not win any popularity contests with this comment but...The SRT 10 looks like a Vette, so if the new Vette looks like an SRT 10, go figure.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bottom line here are that they are both recent-generation sports cars. Hence similarities in general. Slanted nose, upswept fenders, bulging scoops, blah, blah. To say that one copies the other is absurd. There are elements of style that are "popular" in general these days. And there are some that are necessitated by being sports coupes--did the Viper "steal" being a low-slung 2-door from GM? Or from Citroen? Of course not. They are just sports cars, and there will always be a lot of overlap in styling cues. If this is obvious when looking at a Citroen or an early StingRay, it should make even more sense for two cars competing in the same general class in production at the same time. My .02.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appeciate the 2 cents opinions, but does this C6 thingy look anything like your GenII? Nope. The fender shape, headlight shape, hood bulge, and side vents are all similar in design. It's kinda silly to clone ALL those cues. At least the taillights are different (on a flat back end) Sir Mix-a-lot said it best. Chevy likes big butts. Bill, Hovercrafts **** and blow.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=689842&page=5

"Well DUH. Where do you think they got the fender creases for the Viper? Perhaps from when Larry Shinoda and Co. put them on a Corvette back in 1960-something? How can you copy something you pioneered?
Trundle back over to vca.org and worry more about the back end than the front. That will be the more visible concern for most Viper owners.

If, as the track tests show a Z06 will dust a Viper and since it appears the base C6 coupe will outperform a C5 Z06, then the Germans who run Chrysler may be needing to explain why their customers are paying 40 grand more for a sports car with styling taken from LBJ era Corvettes...."

by: Bucky Threadkiller

WilBriK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As many have already mentioned in this and countless other posts, owning a Viper isn't exclusively for the performance, although admittedly that is a large part of the appeal.

My opinion can be classified as that of one of two types:

1) Clueless wannabe (I don't own a Viper)
2) Unbiased outsider (I don't own a Viper)

I like to think I'm the second type.

If I wanted ONLY performance, and still stay within my price window of $40K - $50K, I would buy a used C5, drop $20K worth of mods into the engine, and run circles around Vipers all day long.

But at the end of the day, it's still just a Corvette, albeit a fast one.

This same argument can be made for several cars: Mustangs, Camaros, Supras, etc. etc. etc. but at the end of the day, those other cars are mass produced for the general market, and they simply don't have the flair, style or "Holy [******]!" evoking coolness of the Viper, and that is a simple fact.

I'm not an auto snob who believes his make/model is the One True Sports Car. I like cars from all eras and all different types for different reasons. I'm in the market for a 1951 Jaguar XK150 Drophead, and that sure as hell isn't for the performance. It's the style and uniqueness of the car that is appealing, not that it can do the 1/4 mile in 8.x seconds. Slap a V8 on a go cart and it will do the 1/4 mile in under 8 seconds, but I don't want that vehicle, either.

I plan to get a Viper because it best fits my criteria:

1) American made
2) Upper echelon performer
3) Timeless styling
4) Unique
5) Convertible (getting an RT)

Compare and contrast a Corvette:

1) American made (Yes)
2) Upper echelon performer (Yes)
3) Timeless styling (Hah)
4) Unique (Hah hah)
5) Convertible (Yes)

This can be done with several other make/models and the Viper simply comes out on top, while still fitting my price window.

When the new Vettes come out, people will "ooh" and "ahh" for the first year - mayb less. I did when I first saw the C5 in 1997. Now I pay them about as much attention as I do a Civic.

I've no doubt that when the Jaguar XK150 came out in 1951 there were other cars which could outperform it. But I'll bet few of those cars could still turn the number of heads today that the Jag can, and 40 years from now, and all the time in between, which will be the car making jaws drop?

Supra? No.
Vette? No.
Mustang? No.

Viper? HELL YES!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960