New Clutch???

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I did my clutch in this weekend, so I was looking at doing one that will hold up a little better. Centerforce, Spec??? What do you guys recommend??

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big Carrot, thats a $64,000.00 question.

RPS setups are great, and you will have drivability issues, such as occasional mild clutch chatter, less of a fluid like engagement that the oem unit has, somewhat shorter life on the friction surfaces, expensive,(around $975.00 with the RPS segmented flywheel.

The good thing about this setup, is they are very strong, inexpensive to rebuild, pedel pressure is still very mild.
Tried and proven.

The Centerforce has good clamping force due to it's centrifugal weight design, slightly more durable than oem, just as expensive as the RPS. Very streatable, no chatter, fluid like engagement.

The down side is they are very heavy, several pounds over an oem unit, big cost in labor if you have to replace it. It just won't hold up to aggressive driving as the RPS will.

OEM unit is somewhat weak, but inexpensive.

Carbon-Carbon, absolutely best choice, no drivability issues, cost is great for what you get, and this is one very strong setup. The only real drawback is the one I'm wanting is not available yet. I don't really want to take a chance and go through anyone but Carolina Clutch. Tom is really an expert on clutches. I've learned much from him.

Spec, no way. I don't like to much about them at all, and I'm not alone on that. They may have some products that are ok, but mine was not right from the start.

Skip White

What ever you go with, give me call and I know I can save you money, and give you good advice, as I've been through a lot when it comes to clutches.

Skip White 423-288-3881

OP
OP
B

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tried calling, but didn't get ya. Give me a shout when you get a chance. 469-222-5096

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Heffner at 410-766-2800.

He has a few different levels of clutches. Mine that stood behind 1400rwhp without a hiccup drove like a stocker.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I am continuing to go through this, mostly pressure plate issues so far. Most of the so called "performance clutch and pp's are just OE units with some mods. Some of the OE weak points are just being transferred or aggravated by the mods. I will wait on the new carbon / carbon myself.

Call Skip, he helped me with my issues and we're all learning together.

Good luck,

Dan

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer Franko question on how much will an oem clutch hold with street tires, well the street tires do give way on launch unless you slip and over heat the clutch trying to modulate your take off. It is when you hit second gear that the oem unit slips somewhat.

As to the question, is the SRT clutch different from the GTS, no they are the same. It was back around 96 that a more durable clutch was offered.

Most of my education on clutches came from experiance and talking to the LS1 guys. They have 1000 times more experiance on clutches than the Viper cummunity has.
I'm speaking of the highly modified LS1's and there brutal driving habits.

I'm really interested in a what else is out there that offers drivability and durability, last but not least, VALUE!

Skip White

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

He has a few different levels of clutches. Mine that stood behind 1400rwhp without a hiccup drove like a stocker.

so THATS what that beast is pushin

OP
OP
B

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

so THATS what that beast is pushin
Was.

Chad, I had Eric call Heffner, but he said he was too busy loading up some super duper high hp bumblebee. Who knows!

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had the RPS.Didn't like it. The factory is one of the best clutches out there!

OP
OP
B

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine wasn't! ;) I ordered a Spec Stage3F yesterday. The Spec guy said I could have my cake and eat it too with that one. Hopefully it will be just what the Dr. ordered!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas