New cooling system mod possible?

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to post this a while back to the end of another thread but...I don't think it ever showed up.

Anyway, back when I used to drive a DeLorean (Hi Andy), the procedure for removing trapped air from the cooling system was fairly elaborate and time consuming, much like the Viper. Someone came up with a solution for the DeLorean that I think would work much better than the "schraeder valve on the hose" solutions I've seen for the Viper.

You could buy a kit for the DeLorean that would replace the bleeder screw with a straight-through tap. Onto that tap you attached a length of hose which ran to a T fitting connected into one of the return lines attached to the header bottle. Trapped air would be forced into the header bottle where it would be forced out of the system (on the Viper, it would then be replaced with coolant since we have an overflow bottle) This bled all of the air out of the system very effectively and was completely automatic. Is it possible to make a similar setup for the Viper? Is there a technical reason not to? If no one can think of a reason not to do it, I'd be happy to try it out on my '94 RT/10 and then list the parts needed with some instructions. I'd also sell a kit for little or no real profit as a service to Viper owners unless partsrack wanted to do it instead.

The kit on the Viper would have to look like the current kits but the schraeder valves would be replaced with regular taps. I'm assuming that the current kits require you to open the hood and depress the valves until water comes out instead of air, right? I'd much rather have a completely automatic one. Thoughts?

--Rob Hook

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This looks like a good idea, but how are you going to tap into the pressure bottle with another hose? This original reason for the pressure bottle was to have an automatic air bleeding system and a fill point for the system, but the automatic bleeder does not seem to work. Let us know how your idea works out. Jerry Scott

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob,

What you suggest is easy! The schrader insert can be easily unscrewed - one of the caps doubles as the tool. Then you can attach a hose to the fitting easily. That's exactly how I top off the cooing system.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine