New Corvette engine to be smaller, heavier, and also used in trucks

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whatever bone head evan thought of a tt v6,needs to be strangled

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the new Vette engine isn't really meant to be a Viper competition. I'm sure a new Z06 or ZR1 will be on the way to do that. But you have to give GM credit for producing great engines. I've had two Vettes, and the engines in those were as smooth as a baby's bottom. So I'm sure the new one will be great as well :)
And Corvette small blocks have always been used in trucks. My Hummer H2 has the 6.0 LS block (LS2 in Corvettes).

PS: F1 will change to Turbo V6s in 2014 instead of the V8, so that seems to be the future trend :rolleyes:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they better all go turbo v-6 at the same time,unless someone wants to stand alone till the rest come along

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cylinder deactivation....good bye true manual transmissions....

Wonder how that will settle with Vette owners...

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They added direct injection, variable valve timing, cylinder deactivation and only got +20hp and +30 ft lb torque? Hope the low end grunt, fuel economy and emissions are much improved because it seems like a lot of pain for very little gain.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A sports car with a truck engine...

Why must they always copy the Viper:lmao: Next thing you know they'll be setting up shop in a toolshed:lmao:

slowfrc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Title of thread is dumb. The new motor is the same size as the outgoing one. Vette motors have always been related to the truck motors. The only valid complaint that you have is the weight which is negligible and to be expected given the new hardware.

Cylinder deactivation....good bye true manual transmissions....

Wonder how that will settle with Vette owners...

What do you mean good bye true manuals?

They added direct injection, variable valve timing, cylinder deactivation and only got +20hp and +30 ft lb torque? Hope the low end grunt, fuel economy and emissions are much improved because it seems like a lot of pain for very little gain.

The low end power went up a lot over the ls3, as much as 50 is some areas. There's an overlay online of the new and old motors, I don't have the graph on hand but it's easily googe-able.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome upgrade to the legendary small block chevy.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Title of thread is dumb. The new motor is the same size as the outgoing one. Vette motors have always been related to the truck motors. The only valid complaint that you have is the weight which is negligible and to be expected given the new hardware.

What do you mean good bye true manuals?

The low end power went up a lot over the ls3, as much as 50 is some areas. There's an overlay online of the new and old motors, I don't have the graph on hand but it's easily googe-able.

Cylinder deactivation will not operate without a automated transmission.

Vital Velocity

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From what i remember, the peak power is not going over that much but the power curve is really impressive and is meant to have a curve similar to that of the current z06 up to a certain rpm.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious how you know this to be a fact on the new engine?

I guess I don't know it to be a for sure fact, but manual transmissions are not being used on vehicles with cylinder deactivation because there is no torque converter to mitigate the reactivation sequence as it is supposedly a semi-violent engagement. So as long as a human is controlling the engagement, I don't see cylinder deactivation being an option. A computer will have to be involved in the clutch engagement somehow, so how would that ever be a true manual? It is what the magazines are excusing for a manual. They call it an automated manual transmission. I.E. a flappy paddle gear box.

slowfrc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cylinder deactivation will not operate without a automated transmission.

This is the first time I've heard anything about this. So what then, only autos? I find that hard to believe. Edit: did a little research, maybe they'll copy what they did on the 5th gen camaros with the ls3 and l99. I can't see a c7 without a third pedal option.

Last edited:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I don't know it to be a for sure fact, but manual transmissions are not being used on vehicles with cylinder deactivation because there is no torque converter to mitigate the reactivation sequence as it is supposedly a semi-violent engagement. So as long as a human is controlling the engagement, I don't see cylinder deactivation being an option. A computer will have to be involved in the clutch engagement somehow, so how would that ever be a true manual? It is what the magazines are excusing for a manual. They call it an automated manual transmission. I.E. a flappy paddle gear box.

If this is indeed the case on the new engine, I suppose it's possible that this will be only available for the auto vettes. My guess is that all the auto makers are doing whatever they can to mitigate the ever restrictive cafe standards. My Chevy truck has the cylinder deactivation and it seems to work quite seemlessly. One thing is for sure I don't abuse my truck, but I'm curious about cylinder wear down the road.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who really cares about cylinder deactivation on Vettes? I would buy the manual, and not worry about a bit of gas saved. I've had two C5s, and both were great on gas. I got about 24 mpg on average (it's metric here in Canada, my average was always around 10L/100km). Newer LS2/LS3 blacks were just as good, if not better. The Viper is worse on gas, but do I really care? It's not like I drive it 20k miles a year. :D

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who really cares about cylinder deactivation on Vettes? I would buy the manual, and not worry about a bit of gas saved. I've had two C5s, and both were great on gas. I got about 24 mpg on average (it's metric here in Canada, my average was always around 10L/100km). Newer LS2/LS3 blacks were just as good, if not better. The Viper is worse on gas, but do I really care? It's not like I drive it 20k miles a year. :D

I think your missing the point. The OEM's aren't doing this to make us happy, it's all about CAFE standards that use a weighted average across the board of all products sold. I do agree with you that Vettes get amazing mileage for what they deliver.