New Diamondback hood pics... in production very soon!! (PICS)

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: New Diamondback hood pics... in production very soon!!

I like it! Since you are working on the underside... is there any way you can "baffle" and add channels to the vents so that rainwater doesn't run directly into the engine compartment? It rains a lot out here, and my Viper is a mostly daily driver...
For those that want the speaker grills covered; isn't that the air inlet for the HVAC?

OP
OP
U

USexoticsLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I like it! Since you are working on the underside... is there any way you can "baffle" and add channels to the vents so that rainwater doesn't run directly into the engine compartment? It rains a lot out here, and my Viper is a mostly daily driver...
For those that want the speaker grills covered; isn't that the air inlet for the HVAC?
That's actually exactly what I'm working on, setting up the underside to channel the air properly and also to plumb the moisture to the front of the radiator and to the sides over the sills. As far as the covers for the rear cavities go, my plan is to plug it totally on the driver side, but on the passenger side, the rear of the plug (facing the driver)will be open like a functional cowl hood so it will still pull air into the AC, except it will now pull it from the rear instead of the top.

OP
OP
U

USexoticsLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would like to see one body color, how much? Give us a ballpark for a painted hood.

Hopefully it won't be too long until I'll have pics of it painted on a car, I'll definitely keep you all up to date on it. I know for sure that I won't be shipping any pre-painted hoods. I've done that with parts before and there is so much that can go wrong when it comes to matching paint codes and their alternates properly as well as the risk of scuffs and scratches that can take place during the transit. I will be finishing all of my parts off in a gloss black polyester paint. There will be no seam-lines or bodywork whatsoever. You can see an example of a finished hood by checking out my GTS factory replica hood pics, click here . As far as the price goes, I'm projecting a price of $6500 for the hood and ofcourse the shipping would be additional and depend on your location.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LOL... that viper ended up taking out 3 other cars in the rain (two of the other cars were totaled but everyone was fine)

Ouch. Well glad to hear that everyone is okay.

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I want one! I think it looks great. Price is little high (for me),

would like to see it painted in a brighter color to see what it really looks like.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Very nice! I dont usually care for aftermarket hoods, but this one looks great.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I knew you'd show up sooner or later. LOL! Work some of your magic and make this already impressive hood with some color.

:D

Jay K.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I knew you'd show up sooner or later. LOL! Work some of your magic and make this already impressive hood with some color.

:D

Jay K.

HAHA!! :D Let me see what I can doooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It was great to meet you in person Roger! I am also happy that you fed your 150lbs wolf hybrid before Ed and I arrived... and I thought my English Bulldog is a large dog, Hah, Haa!!!

What I can tell is that I am impressed of Roger's quality, he had several Firebird hoods stacked and ready to go, all mirrorlike finish. I dont think you would even have to paint these, since I was able to see my face on them!

The hood looks awesome! It was even better in person, than in pictures. It has great lines, without taking anything away from the round curvy lines of Viper. Vents are agressive looking and sitting behind the hood, you'll really see the 2" raise in middle and fenders. I bet if this hood was without vents, few of us would see that something looks changed, but what would be more difficult to say. For me thats a great custom feature!

I am also impressed of the quality of the fiberglass, most of the crap you see in stores are "hairy" looking with stuff allover. This hood was equally clean inside and outside. No crap anywhere. Roger even WETSANDS his molds! How many do that tobegin with?

I did leave an order for one already, looking at original and Diamondback next to each other, it was no brainer...
Heh, even Ed is stirred up now!!

Thanks for the invitation Roger and RedBull drinks! I'll talk to you on Monday.

OP
OP
U

USexoticsLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Lauri... I definitely enjoyed the visit. You an Ed were more than helpful with all of your input. If most of the VCA members are as fun and personable as you two guys, then I have a feeling that I'm really going to have a great time in this market. Don't worry, I'll soon be searching for my own viper in another few months so I can get involved in the cruises and events from an owners standpoint as well. Anybody and everybody is always welcome to come to my shop anytime as long as you don't mind the resin smell and the dust. Ofcourse, if my shop was clean and tidy, I don't think anybody could take me seriously..lol.

As far as Dakota, my wolf, goes... he loved the attention. As you could see, he's a pretty social animal. Ed... you'll have to post up some of those pics that you took with him if ya can, I wanna check them out.

Austin... I appreciate your interest in photoshopping the hood to color match it. I'd love to check that out myself. It will probably take another few weeks until I'll be able to have a pic of one painted, so if you have the ability to modify one of the pics with some color, that would be great.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Austin... I appreciate your interest in photoshopping the hood to color match it. I'd love to check that out myself. It will probably take another few weeks until I'll be able to have a pic of one painted, so if you have the ability to modify one of the pics with some color, that would be great.

I should have it done shortly.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Roger,

Hey man it was great meeting you and Dakota!! Lauri and myself could not stop talking about your hood design on the way home. Very sweet looking hood and I have to agree with every thing Lauri said, the quality was outstanding. I even talked to Dan about it and he is excited about doing Lauri's car with it. I know if the quality is bad, Dan won't hold back. I don't think Lauri needs to worry about that though.

I am definitely excited to see it on Lauri's car (Hopefully in Blue with white stripes). Now if I can just save more aluminum cans I will get one for the Old Gen I.

Looking forward to you getting your viper and hanging out with the local viper guys. Fun Times ! :2tu:

Lauri has the pics of Dakota, I will give him a shout and ask him to post them up. I was telling my wife about him, very beautiful dog. I was even amazed at how chill and layback he was. I am sure some of it has to do with him being 9 years old, but none the less cool dog, wolf beast or what ever he is :eek:

Take care,
Ed

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Now if I can just save more aluminum cans I will get one for the Old Gen I. Ed

Ed, I'll try to drink more beer..... Anything for you buddy! :2tu:

Here's the DACOTA, THE WOLF!
Good it did not smell your cat ED, it might have ripped your arm off!!!!

3114DSCN3924-med.JPG

3114DSCN3923-med.JPG

OP
OP
U

USexoticsLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Those are some awesome pics, Lauri... I really like Dakota's expression in the first one when ya caught him in mid-yawn.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok, sorry it took so long. This was kind of a challenge. :p I hope this helps. Its not the best, IMO.

5580diamondback_done.jpg

OP
OP
U

USexoticsLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Austin.... That looks great!!!! Thanks alot for your time. I didn't expect you to end up having to to a cut and paste on top of doing the color. I'm really liking how the pic came out... you can still see the high peak on the fender line, almost like the SRT-10 profile. Once again, thanks alot for all the time ya spent on that, it is definitely a big help.

OP
OP
U

USexoticsLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are the side vents open to the inside?

Mark

Hey Mark... yes, the side vents are openned up just like the center vents. Everything is fully-functional. When I started the design I made it a point to take it down to Baltimore for Jason Heffner to see (before he moved), and get his input. I wanted the hood to be as functional as possible especially with the TT and supercharged vipers. Jason was nice enough to help out with the placement and size fo the vents to optimize the heat extraction.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Austin.... That looks great!!!! Thanks alot for your time. I didn't expect you to end up having to to a cut and paste on top of doing the color. I'm really liking how the pic came out... you can still see the high peak on the fender line, almost like the SRT-10 profile. Once again, thanks alot for all the time ya spent on that, it is definitely a big help.

You're welcome. I really like this hood. It has such an aggressive stance. It reminds me of a TVR Sagaris hood.

You must be registered for see images

Mark Red GTS Cooper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What is the material and weight over the stock hood? How is the rigidity over the stock? The other hood supplier hood was like a flexy flier!

JoeViperRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would just like to have it.

OP
OP
U

USexoticsLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What is the material and weight over the stock hood? How is the rigidity over the stock? The other hood supplier hood was like a flexy flier!

I don't have an exact comparison on the weight versus the factory hood yet, but I'll definitely keep you posted on that. I should have an exact comparison within the next few days here. As far as the materials go, it's all hand-laid fiberglass. I don't have any employees so I hand-lay every layer of glass personally. I don't even own a chopper gun, so you can be assured that everything that comes out of my shop is 100% hand-laid. The rigidity of the hood is comparable to the factory hood, but it is just a bit stiffer. The factory hoods are built with the SMC method which notoriously leaves some of the dry material under-laminated and prone to breakage, making it a little more flexible. I can assure you that there will never be any "dry" areas when you hand lay a part correctly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960