new flash for 08 viper

viperpat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just got my 08 viper back from the dealer, they flashed the computer with the new program, car has more power can't wait to get it back on the dyno and see what the dyno says. thanks SRT

SteveT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like they finally got a handle on your Viper problems.

My '08 went in for a reflash on Monday but a problem came up and the computer has been sent back to Dodge. Supposed to be back today...

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like they finally got a handle on your Viper problems.

My '08 went in for a reflash on Monday but a problem came up and the computer has been sent back to Dodge. Supposed to be back today...

Is this for all 2008 Vipers or just certain VIN ranges or production dates? Or just cars that displayed strange behavior? Thanks.

/Rich

SteveT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure on the build month, it was delivered on 3-9 to the dealer. I will check the build month tomorrow, supposed to have it back together for me to pick up then.

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, 800 miles and the check engine light came on today. I read the code and it came up as P2610 (ECM/PSM Internal Engine Off-Timer Performance). Any ideas if this is related? I was going to clear it and see if it comes back..

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, 800 miles and the check engine light came on today. I read the code and it came up as P2610 (ECM/PSM Internal Engine Off-Timer Performance). Any ideas if this is related? I was going to clear it and see if it comes back..
please keep us posted,any drivabity concerns?

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
please keep us posted,any drivabity concerns?

No, none yet. Actually I had disconnected the battery to see if the tire sensor light would clear, and I have a feeling that's what triggered the CE light. I'm going to take it out today and see if it comes back on.

Frank17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just received new SSG, car was reflashed at dealer.
Drove about a mile and went into limp mode, check engine light on and another light in the lower left circle on the dash, looks like two redlines with a lighting bolt in it..

Any body help

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just received new SSG, car was reflashed at dealer.
Drove about a mile and went into limp mode, check engine light on and another light in the lower left circle on the dash, looks like two redlines with a lighting bolt in it..

Any body help
whats the build date of your car from the drivers door date?

Frank17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
build date 2/08.

electrical symbol went off, drove car about 4 miles, check enging light went off, runs normal...

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
840 miles thus far - build date was 1/08. No problems yet, except for this pesky TPMS light. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up my 2008 blue and white convertible the first week in March. I do not know what the build date was but I think January. I have 2500 miles on the car with no problems but had my viper tech reflash it yesterday according to the wishes of Chysler.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are all 08s gonna need to be reflashed even if they dont exhibit a ck eng light?how could some have diffrent programs than others?

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will have to check you VIN number with your dealer and see if it is one of the cars that needs the reflash and I think (and I could be wrong) that to be on the safe side, Chrysler may reflash all the cars that have been released so far.

Reaction score
If your car has not acted up and you have a few hundred miles on it, it will more than likely be fine with out the re flash. The key to insuring the car runs well is to drive it through the first and second tanks of fuel quickly. DO NOT let it sit. The new engine needs to be driven at moderate loads to run in the VVT system.

I spent over an hour today on the phone with Chrysler engineers having them explain how important it is to drive the car and not let it sit or just take short hops in it especially when it is new. DRIVE them, change the oil and drive them some more! They have cars that have over 80K on and they are just as good as new when torn down so don't hurt your car by letting it sit you are not doing it any favors.

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your car has not acted up and you have a few hundred miles on it, it will more than likely be fine with out the re flash. The key to insuring the car runs well is to drive it through the first and second tanks of fuel quickly. DO NOT let it sit. The new engine needs to be driven at moderate loads to run in the VVT system.

I spent over an hour today on the phone with Chrysler engineers having them explain how important it is to drive the car and not let it sit or just take short hops in it especially when it is new. DRIVE them, change the oil and drive them some more! They have cars that have over 80K on and they are just as good as new when torn down so don't hurt your car by letting it sit you are not doing it any favors.

I'll definitely be pounding the pavement this weekend, after my oil change. Received the filters today - thanks, Mark!

Justyn

Last edited:

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i changed the oil,filter yesterdat at 459 miles,and went through 3 tank full of gas,.letting them sit is bad for them,i drive my diablo 4-6 xs a month and have put 25000 miles in the last three years yes my value went down but i purchased them to enjoy them.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for buying them guys and keeping your happy thought while they work the bugs out.:headbang::usa:

I guess that's the price you pay for being the big dics on the road now.:rolaugh::2tu:

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
P2610 code can be caused by disconnecting the battery.

If you just disconnect, and then reconnect once and drive it, the fault will not mature. But if you are playing around with the cables, two disconnects matures the fault.

This is a bit of a departure from the JTEC boxes of the GEN III cars, they would actually clear all codes after a disconnect. Due to new regulations, P-codes are no longer allowed to clear from a disconnect. They must either "de-mature" from good trips, or have a scan tool force a clear.

With that in mind, battery tenders will be a better idea for GEN IV's than battery disconnects...

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
P2610 code can be caused by disconnecting the battery.

If you just disconnect, and then reconnect once and drive it, the fault will not mature. But if you are playing around with the cables, two disconnects matures the fault.

This is a bit of a departure from the JTEC boxes of the GEN III cars, they would actually clear all codes after a disconnect. Due to new regulations, P-codes are no longer allowed to clear from a disconnect. They must either "de-mature" from good trips, or have a scan tool force a clear.

With that in mind, battery tenders will be a better idea for GEN IV's than battery disconnects...

Interesting. I did clear the code and it did not come back, so I'm assuming it had to be from the battery disconnect. The new ECU's are sounding more fun by the moment. :rolleyes:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Despite the issues with the PCM, you have to admit that it's pretty incredible the SRT gang was able to build an incredibly sophisticated controller from the ground up, in a short period of time and not to mention one that has to deal with the extremely tight EPA requirements. I'm happy to read that they're quickly responding to the issue. I think this controller was an amazing feat and I do envy all you '08 owners. Drive it like you stole it.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car went into the limp mode and needed the flash ... i picked it up on a friday evening and early saturday morning had already put 75 miles on it just driving around town....My vin is 740 , build date march/08.... flash took a couple of days...... i don't think there is anyway to predict which car is going to have problems even if you drive it early on...

i was suprised that my car had the problem considering it passed j status(final inspection) in early april

Well it is fixed now but will be sitting in the showroom until i get home next week although my wife my drive it home sooner

Frank17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did it yesterday with 9 miles on it, cleared by itself, after 10 more miles of driving. Did it today with 112 miles on it and would not clear. Showed both electrical problem and check engine light, shut down to 2500 rpm max. Limped to dealer, read 5 codes, cleared them and car runs fine again. They said let us see what happens next week.
Picture how embarrasing it is doing 30mph on a highway that every one else doing 65 to 75...

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car was built in December 2007 and I currently have about 1,600 miles on it with no problems thus far (knock on wood). Per Mark Jorgensen, my assumption is to not do the reflash in these circumstances.

/Rich