New Forum Member looking for Gen II GTS

MiaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I've wanted a Viper since I first saw one as a kid and added owning one to my bucket list. I bought the closest thing to a B&W viper I could afford in high school,
a 1996 IndyRam. Wish I still owned it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Anyways, I'm finally in the market for a Viper and could use some help. I would really like a 96/97 B&W but I'm open to other colors for the right deal. My budget is in the
mid 30s but I can go a little higher for the right car. My experience with Vipers is very limited but I've tried doing as much research as I can. I've searched through the
previous "looking to buy" threads and have gathered a lot of useful information. I'd like some help breaking down some of the cars I'm interested in. I'm in Miami and would
prefer to look within a 500 miles radius. I want the car to cruise on the weekends and track once in a while. Resale value is important but I'm not interested in just storing it in the garage and not driving it for the sake of preserving the mileage. Below are a couple of cars I'm interested in. What do you guys think:

Car #1 1997 Red GTS
I'm going to see this one today. Its on the higher of the budget but its local and it appears to be in great shape. Based on my conversation with the owner (owned it
for the past 14 years), it seems like it was meticulously cared for. The owner did say he rear ended someone at low speeds (no bags deployed) but there was no frame
damage. He warned me that it wold show up on the carfax. How big of a deal is this for resale?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...l?listingId=410519871&hideBackLink=true&Log=0

Car # 2 1996 B/W GTS

This one seems to be a decent deal based on the specs. Three owner car, stock powertrain, and 30k miles. I'm not a fan of the wing but I figured it wouldn't be a big deal to
remove. I'm assuming the holes will need to be filled and painted. Is this a big deal? Any idea on what the spoiler will fetch? I feel the same about the wheels but the owner has the original wheels so no big deal. This one has a clean carfax, is my first color choice, and more within my budget. Thoughts?

https://pensacola.craigslist.org/cto/5408000899.html

Car # 3 1996 B/W GTS

This one is not realistically in my budget but its the nicest one I've seen around my area. Not really one I am considering unless I can get a great deal on it. Thoughts on
what this one is worth?

http://www.blackhorsemotors.com/veh...r-gts-coupe-1e2a543ab021b94592ce1283f1633191/

Thanks,

Javi

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all Welcome to the forum, we are glad you are here. I promise you will find the help an answers to what you need. My advice on the price and right Viper are as follows. Always put your eyes on whatever you are planning to buy. You seem to have done your homework and know what you like. If you and the seller
Agree on a price you are comfortable with and you can't stop thinking about that Viper then purchase her. They are like family , least my car is. Life is to short
To not enjoy it. Good luck .:drive:

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Bill will find you one. And can probably give you the pro's & cons of the selections you posted. There is a lot of Viper knowledge here.

OP
OP
M

MiaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome and thank you Bill for taking the time to chat with me.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No problem, and once you get a Snake you will have to rename your handle MamamiaViper, as you be one very happy camper, ha. The cars are amazing , regardless of Generation, and even on South Beach , they never fail to turn heads!!

OP
OP
M

MiaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha I like that one! You're right about that. There are no shortages of exotics is Miami and South Beach but you rarely see Vipers. Without exaggerating I see more Lambos and Ferrari's than
Vipers around here. When you do see one, they definitely turn heads.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On car #2, others have done what you propose. i.e., remove a wing from a 96-97 B/W that is not to the new owner's taste. The only thing that I have read is that the blue paint color is hard to match in other paint manufacturer's formulations.
There are lots of posts online. example: http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...a-time-matching-my-Viper-Blue-paint!-Any-Info

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the first car red 97, but think the price is a little high for miles and carfax oops. Mid 30s is a realistic number. third car agree with AZTVR

OP
OP
M

MiaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the paint matching. I was already turned off at the idea of having to touch up the car right off the bat. The car is also kind of far so I'll probably pass on it.

I saw the red one today and it was gorgeous. You could tell the car was meticulously cared for. Based on what others have said though, the accident on the carfax is a big deal. The owner said he was going to send me pictures of the accident to show how minor it was. I'm just concerned with the resale value down the line. I'm not in a rush so I dont want to settle.

ViperVass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Funny, I went through all of this a few months ago.
I was also considering the B/W's you listed in your post... Talked to the person selling his in Pensacola, but we couldn't agree on the price.
Did not bother with the one from Blackhorse, but saw it pop up on eBay every week..
Both the B/W cars you are considering have been on the market for a while now.. I'm pretty sure you can try negotiating the price.
Make sure you drive them, and get them inspected.

Red one I have no idea :)

OP
OP
M

MiaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's great information ViperVass, thanks. I see that you ended up with a B/W after all. If you don't mind sharing what you bought it for and some specs, that would be helpful. PM me if you prefer.

There's a 97 out there as well around the Tampa area but I haven't heard back from the owner.

ViperVass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I noticed the Viper market is not that rigid at all. So my price and specs will not be of much use.
In the end it really all depends on how much you want it, and how much the seller is willing to work with you.

Here are the few things that helped me make my decision:
Find out what you want, there are a lot of Vipers out there and they will all be different to some extent. Drive as many as you can to get familiar with how they feel and how they are supposed to drive before you commit. Makes it easier to spot when there are problems.
Find out what is important to you: The color, the year, the stripes, dyno results? There are definitely differences between a 97 and a 96 and I'm sure you read all about it. If you plan to drive the car in the rain or don't have a garage: Forget the 96.
Find out if you want upgrades: If you decide to go for upgrades make sure you understand how the upgrades are done or supposed to be done. Talk with someone who did their own upgrades.
Find out who you plan to have service your car, and let them inspect it... this gets tricky when buying out of state. Try to schedule a pre-purchase inspection when you are there and ask the mechanic questions (leave them a tip if they let you be present for the inspection and ask questions).
Find out what you are willing to compromise on: The color, the year, the stripes, dyno results? :)
Find out how much repairs will cost if there is anything that needs to be worked on, be sure to add that to your price consideration or negotiation.

Make sure you're ready to drive it: For 97s and 96s there is no ABS and no TC, therefore it can get you sideways pretty quick if you are not familiar with the clues of traction loss.
Go drive some karts in the rain, play some iRacing. Learn to respect the throttle.

Be ready to buy tires :)

OP
OP
M

MiaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great tips and information, thank you. I would definitely like to be able to drive a few first to get a feel for them but unfortunately there aren't many for sale around my area. Any suggestions on getting some seat time on these. I rented an rt/10 and GTS back in the day but I doubt they are readily available to rent nowadays. I used to own a supercharged mustang gt that I tracked at the drag strip a decent anount. I know it's a totally different animal so I'll be cautious.

The car will be garage kept and not see rain...on purpose at least. Since I'm so early in the search I'd like to stick to the B/W combo but after seeing the red one in person yesterday I'm convinced I'd be just as happy with that color.

My plan is to leave the car fairly stock minus a few bolt ons. That's the plan anyways but I've never succeeded in leaving a car alone.

I spoke with the owner of the 97 B/W in Tampa, it sold right in my wheelhouse so I don't think I'm being too unrealistic if I'm a little patient.

Thanks again everyone

LadyCruzer

VCA Officer
VCA Officer
Reaction score
HI there! I just sent you a PM, MiaViper. Good luck in your quest to find a Viper and let us know when you find it! In the meantime, I 'll keep my eyes and ears open for you and will contact you if I hear of something in Florida that might be a good fit for you !

Badasp007

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Javi,

I have a 1996 blue with white stripes GTS coupe which I have owned for 19 years, since it was 1 year old. I have kept it garaged, no snow, very little rain, great condition, with 29000 miles. I am asking a very resonable $35,000 for my baby, clean car fax, no damage no accidents, ready to go. Yes, I realize that San Diego is a bit far, but transportation is available. The car was at Sebring for VOI 4 just prior to my purchase, so it knows the way to Florida (lol). I know everything about this car, if interested, give me a call at 619-990-7076. BTW, I too wanted a B&W coupe from the day that I first saw one. The car is basically stock with the exception of a Borla catback exhaust and some other minor items. I do have a set of OZ racing wheels and a set of 3.55 gears that I would sell as well. Gary

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Hello Javi,

I have a 1996 blue with white stripes GTS coupe which I have owned for 19 years, since it was 1 year old. I have kept it garaged, no snow, very little rain, great condition, with 29000 miles. I am asking a very resonable $35,000 for my baby, clean car fax, no damage no accidents, ready to go. Yes, I realize that San Diego is a bit far, but transportation is available. The car was at Sebring for VOI 4 just prior to my purchase, so it knows the way to Florida (lol). I know everything about this car, if interested, give me a call at 619-990-7076. BTW, I too wanted a B&W coupe from the day that I first saw one. The car is basically stock with the exception of a Borla catback exhaust and some other minor items. I do have a set of OZ racing wheels and a set of 3.55 gears that I would sell as well. Gary

And

Welcome to the Viper Club

OP
OP
M

MiaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow you guys are good! We just spoke and will be getting some pictures soon. I need to do some research on the cost to transport it to Miami from San Diego. Are there any viper techs in San Diego that you would recommend? It would be a little nerve wracking for me to buy a car without it seeing it first but this one sounds promising. Thanks a bunch for the lead!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two choices. I know an auto broker that does transfers for many of our local club members. He can help with inspection and send you pictures as well as handling all the paperwork, shipping and could even handle the transfer of funds, kind of an escrow thing so both buyer and seller can be protected. Ask Gary to give you the contact information for Richard Palkovic if you want to go in this directions.

Gary has been active in the SoCal club for over 15 years. I saw his car at an event in Escondido a few months back and it is stunning. Looks totally stock, but might have a few minor upgrades.

You could have the car inspected by Claude Short Dodge. They are close and have an experienced Viper Tech, or maybe even better have Todd Abrams look it over. Todd is an independent Viper mechanic with a tremendous reputation.

Please let Gary know what you would like done.

I would also be willing to check out the car personally and go over anything special you might want to have checked out, as he is only a few miles from me.

I was the past President of the SoCal club, and still like to help when possible.

OP
OP
M

MiaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the information and offer to help Paul. I'm waiting on the pictures from Gary and a quote from reliable carriers. Any other transport companies that you would recommend? I'll give Todd a call tomorrow as well to see what it would cost for an inspection and what it would include.

Once I see the pictures, I'll probably take you up on that offer. I really dont know enough about these cars to know what to look for in great detail. Gary mentioned having a rollbar installed. I'd like to make sure it could be removed without leaving any permanent modifications to interior panels or anything like that. I would also like to know how much life the fluids have and if there are any pending maintenance items that need to be done. Condition and age of the tires. Blemishes to the paint. Corrosion/Electrolysis damage on the rocker panels. Condition of interior trim. This would all help me feel better about buying a car sight unseen.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to check those things out for you.

My first Viper (have had 3) was a 96 B/W GTS. Fell in love with it when I first saw it at a autoshow. It was up on a turn table with a huge crowd gathered around, taking pictures.

It was the Shelby Cobra that I had always wanted, but with air conditioning, airbags and service at any Dodge dealership.

While not a professional mechanic I can easily check the condition of the brake fluid, smell the dipstick, look for corrosion and obvious wear. I can check for even wear and hardness of tires, as well as date of manufacturer.

I can even take it for a drive and make sure it shifts well, goes straight, brakes well and listen for any unusual noises.

One item I will expect to hear is a neutral gear rattle from the shifter area. This is normal, and a consequence of the firing order of the V-10 engine. I can check that the skip shift is working as well as the reverse lockout. Lots of little things that separate an average Viper from an exceptional one.

It is also not unusual to see scratches underneath the front bumper. The nose is pretty low, and sometimes getting too close to a curb will mark it up. Not a big deal, but something to check for.

Can let you know what is working well, and any areas you might need to address. This way you can know what to expect when it rolls off the trailer.

Reliable is one of the best transports. It is the one the club uses for transportation to National club events. They are not the cheapest however, but they have a great reputation and were also selected by Dodge to ship new cars from the plant in Detroit to all the dealerships.

If you buy the car, please let me know and I will put a club goodie bag inside for you.

OP
OP
M

MiaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul,

I can't thank you enough for your offer to help. I'm supposed to get the pictures from Gary tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think once I see them and get back to you on your generous offer to take a look at the car. I emailed reliable for a quote. I also requested quotes from Inter-City and United Routes. Have you heard anything good or bad about these two companies?

harley56

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Badasp007's '96 with 29,000 miles is a very, very fair deal, even after you add shipping. Paul Hawker has been around and his insights are spot on. Buy the '96, nothing as iconic as the '96. I know a guy selling his super clean '97 only because he wants a '96. However, I admit to being bias as I'm fortunate to have two....one I drive and enjoy and one in the wrapper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MiaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the information and reassurance Harley. I agree on getting the 96. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.

I received quotes from Reliable and Inter-city. Reliable was over $1,000 more!! I know you get what you pay for but I've read nothing but good reviews for Inter-City. Has anyone had any negative experiences with them?

OP
OP
M

MiaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got a call from United Routes and the rate was comparable to Inter-City. Anyone have experience with them?

harley56

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reliable has a fleet second to none, their transporters are spotless, and they charge accordingly. That being the case, Inter-City delivered two vipers to me, all went great and I would choose them again. I am not familiar with United Routes.

Last edited:

Badasp007

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, I am a past member; however, My membership is not current. Thanks for your comments and welcome.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used Reliable, from NJ to AZ they took 3 of my cars, they are the best. They carefully loaded the cars and covered them, and they stay in the truck that way until they get to your house and then unload them, Wess was the guy that moved my cars he is AWESOME.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper