New header/ exhaust install problems

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problems I encountered.CDI headers/3" stainless/3"corsa.The header tubes are a tight fit.Passenger side air box must be removed.Not all suppplied header bolts (allen head type) would fit.Not enough clearance.Had to reuse some of the stock head bolts.Had to cut down an allen wrench to tighten some bolts.Had to use vise grips on two bolts.Heat shields will not fit(More later).Tubes are stressed and difficult to fit into the collector.One header tube on the drivers side was jammed solid against a frame gusset.This needed to have a shallow semi-circle cut out of it for clearance and then of course it was painted.The rest was easy.Collector is clamped to the straight pipe using welded on flanges and clamps supplied by CDI.Pipe supplied by CDI.The necked down end of the 3" corsa(to fit a stock system) was cut off and flared to accept the 3" straight pipe.Apex syms work perfectly. I am looking for comments/suggestions concerning the necessity of some type of heat shielding especialy the brake lines and starter on the drivers side of the car.Thanks. WHAT? Bruce

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce-
Happy to hear our sims are working out for you.
We use different hardware than are supplied when we install these headers. Special small size head to get into those 'hard to reach areas'. If you use their hardware you probably had to grind/cut off some of the threads on a couple bolts to clear the primary. You are correct in that the fit is definitely snug.
I am in the shop today if you want to chat more about heat shielding options.
Regards,
Wayne (LTHL VPR)

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can try a header blanket p/n 893-14003 from jegs.com $76 (pair) I've use them for almost a year now and 15,000 miles, no problems. Just don't use header wrap, not good.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey MES,
I am going to wrap my headers, and don't understand why it is not good to do so? I will be using the mufflers you sold me
supergrin.gif
I've got the Borla's and 3" stainless with no cats. I was going ot wrap all the way to the 6" round Ultra flow.

Mike

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wilddude DO NOT wrap anything inside the side sills IT MAY catch on fire. There are a couple reasons not to wrap the headers. Biggest being it may destroy your finish, stick to the headers, can't be removed, may cause your headers to crack from excessive heat retention, and after a while it looks like s#$%. Maybe there are some good wraps out there, but I've not seen any. A wrap is not needed, just use a heat shield. All you want to do is keep heat from under the hood, not keep the heat inside the exhaust.

OP
OP
G

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a lot of trouble really.You got to expect some problems.Hopefuly minor of course like mine.These headers are built by the people that won le mans etc when the factory was backing the effort.Heat might not be a problem since they are jet hot coated inside and out.Supposed to run 300 deg cooler than steel.Apex has been running around for a couple of years w/o shielding on their car and have had no problems.Nothing melting or boiling on mine yet.Have to see what happens at a track event. Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine