New here, few questions

berneto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I have a few questions, trying to figure out if this is the car for me.

I own a 2006 lotus elise atm, and after driving it for a while, i finally came to my senses and decided it was defiantly not a daily driver. Also, everytime i drive it I feel like one small hit it will just break in half. So this is why I feel like it is time to move on.

Would you guys recommend a dodge viper? I sat in one at the dealer and thought it was perfect, it was alot more roomy than the lotus and seemed comfortable, that is what im looking into for the daily driver.

I was wondering if I should just get the convertible for around 53K, or step it up to the 06 coupe for around 68K, I just cant decide if price increase would be worth it, but I beleive the coupe looks alot better. Anyways, Ive been researching this for about 2 weeks now and feel it is the car for me. Can you give me some guidance on what to do?

And, is a used Blue/white stripe 06 dodge viper with 486 miles on it for 68,900 a good deal? Seems like retail is around 75K on the kbb. Thanks

Great place here btw.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dealer I bought my GTS from had an Elise in the showroom. You're comparing a beer can to a tank. Yeah, step out of the beer can. But be careful of the power of a tank...

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i used mine as a daily driver except when it rained.....As long as u don't mind using a stick all day then i'd say go for it.... changing out the run flats will smooth out the ride

My main concern when using as a daily driver was vandalism but i had secured parking and most of the other times i parked it where i could see it

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I could not imagine getting in and out of this car everyday (especially not on errand day!).

My main reason not wanting this car for a daily driver would be gas mileage and potential for dings, scrapes, etc etc.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Get the coupe if you are at all interested in tracking the car.

Hard to belived some people report having trouble getting into and out of this car.

Be careful where you park it.

You will look forward to your drive to and from work every day.

Dan:usa:

Obsidian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn't imagine a Viper as a daily drive. That would get old quick. Maybe an '06 is good, but the '01 would have me suicidal.

wartornwarhorse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 2 cents, I got one (an 03) back in Jan, and it is my daily driver. Gas mileage is terrible in stop and go, though, on longer highway drives, I believe I topped 25 mpg. What is the mileage from SF to Santa Barbara ? its about 300 or so miles, I did the drive on one tank, I was very impressed. The only thing that is not enjoyable is stop and go driving... Otherwise, I have a great time driving this car, when you get into other cars, you really feel the dif, and can't wait to get back into the viper. It sounds like your a sports car nut, the Lotus is one of the greats to be sure.. If you liked the lotus, you'll love the viper.

PS, the coupe looks fantastic, though, the vert is a supreme tanning machine! ;)

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Berneto: LOVE the Lotus Elise myself...but yeah, not a daily driver. Well, where are you located--that is the question...up here in the North/snow, the Viper is NOT a daily driver.
In the South, probably could be. We'd prefer a Coupe now that we have had the Vert, but to each their own preference. Good Luck in your decision, you've decided on THE best driving experience you could ever ask for!!! ~juli

OP
OP
B

berneto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, thanks alot for your feedback everyone. Once I sell this lotus im buying the viper right away:p

I have been reading, and is the cabin heat issue that bad with AC on in an 06 coupe?

OP
OP
B

berneto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm Gen2 ('01 GTS) so somebody else better pipe in on the '06, but what's the climate like where you live? That can be important no matter what you drive.

Well I live in Austin, Texas, So it does get pretty hot, mid 80's to mid 90's. I heard that you can get corsa to kill the heat, but if I spend so much on the car already, I dont want to be kicked out of it due to cabin heat. The AC works, does it not?

funky977

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"And, is a used Blue/white stripe 06 dodge viper with 486 miles on it for 68,900 a good deal? Seems like retail is around 75K on the kbb. Thanks"

That is a pretty good deal for a B/W 2006 Coupe.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I live in Austin, Texas, So it does get pretty hot, mid 80's to mid 90's. I heard that you can get corsa to kill the heat, but if I spend so much on the car already, I dont want to be kicked out of it due to cabin heat. The AC works, does it not?

AC works, but you'll find your feet get REALLY hot...Corsa Track exhaust is best...crossovers are beautiful...but are not feasible...yep--heat issues! A/C works, but in Texas, you'd want to be cooler, I'd imagine...juli

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go w/ the Vert, you can still track the car w/ an Autoform rollbar and you get the open air experience plus stupid speed. But if you like the Coupe better, get what you like. There is no car anywhere in the world like a Viper....once bitten....look out.

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go w/ the Vert, you can still track the car w/ an Autoform rollbar and you get the open air experience plus stupid speed. But if you like the Coupe better, get what you like. There is no car anywhere in the world like a Viper....once bitten....look out.

Agreed, I love the speed plus 'vert perks

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get the Viper :headbang: And a piece of dung to drive daily..........Keep the Viper clean and drive the snot out of it for fun.........Or do what you want.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've driven the Elise a fair bit (but only on the race track) and it's a fabulous car (the Exige S is MUCH better). The Viper does not have the steering precision of the Lotus - not even close but the Viper has WAY more power.

I was having s motor replaced in my '04 Viper this spring and was seriously considering getting rid of the car - it just pissed me off to be without a cool ride for more than 3 months waiting for parts and service. But what to get? I'd decided on an Exige S. I love the car except that I'm 6'2" tall and about 250lbs. I fit in the Exige (Elise is the same fit) but it was embarrassing getting in and out. This delayed me long enough that my car was fixed and just one tap on the throttle and I was in love again.

Get the Viper! I drive mine daily, almost always with the top down.

OP
OP
B

berneto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've driven the Elise a fair bit (but only on the race track) and it's a fabulous car (the Exige S is MUCH better). The Viper does not have the steering precision of the Lotus - not even close but the Viper has WAY more power.

I was having s motor replaced in my '04 Viper this spring and was seriously considering getting rid of the car - it just pissed me off to be without a cool ride for more than 3 months waiting for parts and service. But what to get? I'd decided on an Exige S. I love the car except that I'm 6'2" tall and about 250lbs. I fit in the Exige (Elise is the same fit) but it was embarrassing getting in and out. This delayed me long enough that my car was fixed and just one tap on the throttle and I was in love again.

Get the Viper! I drive mine daily, almost always with the top down.

I wish they had 03-04 in blue, I am also having the hardest time picking between vert or coupe.....

Also, is it possible to go to the dodge dealer to put the white stripes on a blue coupe? And would it look close to factory, how much? The reason is because they sold the viper i was looking at, and the next thing is a blue w/o stripes coupe.

ssviperfl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got an '05 SRT-10 convertible, and it is now my only ride (wifey has SUV). It will take some getting used to, hard to park and feel safe about the spot. Some of the creature comforts, like trunk release, auto top, lack of glove box, lack of interior storage seem like a pain sometimes, but my commutes are short, and not with heavy traffic. It is also difficult to be on a cell phone (hands free of course) due to the noise.

If I had a regular 9-5 job with long commute, I'd leave the Vipe for off hours only.

I do love the car however, there's nothing like it.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in Vegas (105+)and the A/C works great. When it's hot out (85+) driving without the A/C and some stop and go you will notice cabin heat. I'm the right size so it's a great daily driver for me. Not on long commutes?! It can be just the excuse to drive it! It depends on the kind of commute - heavy stop and go is not fun but no vehicle is in those conditions. If the gas will bother you, get a second vehicle - maybe a motorcycle?! If you have any appreciation for open air motoring, get the vert.

Cabin heat - I know everybody talks about the exhaust and it is a major contributor but another significant heat path is the heat extractors from the hood for verts - some of that heat (just put your hand over it when you park!) dumps into your lap when cruising down; that's why some say to put up your windows with the top down. I prefer not to do this and it's only a problem, again, in warm (85+) weather.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Austin huh...I can set you up with a ride/drive with just about any type of viper you want...We are getting together Saturday for Breakfast...come on out and meet some of the folks...some of my lotus friends will be there as well ;)

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got an '05 SRT-10 convertible, and it is now my only ride (wifey has SUV). It will take some getting used to, hard to park and feel safe about the spot. Some of the creature comforts, like trunk release, auto top, lack of glove box, lack of interior storage seem like a pain sometimes, but my commutes are short, and not with heavy traffic. It is also difficult to be on a cell phone (hands free of course) due to the noise.
If I had a regular 9-5 job with long commute, I'd leave the Vipe for off hours only.

Congratulations on your purchase of an '05 SRT Vert...it's what we also have...what color do you have, any mods? Yes, it's a 'drivers' car, so it takes getting used to for sure.
There is NOTHING LIKE THE BEAST!~! Totally ENJOY!!!! :2tu: ~juli

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Enjoy your new Snake! I could not believe how hard it was to hear on the cell phone when I was driving my car home on the highway either!!

My wife got mad because I'm like:

"I'm driving I have to go"

she says "You NEVER used to hang up when you were driving the other car"

I say "Yeah the other car was a BMW 7series, its just a wee bit quieter than a VIPER!" lol

OP
OP
B

berneto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your inputs, thinking about the copperhead viper now, but there are only like 4 on autotrader? Tried to contact the lowest offer but the guy wont pick up, guess ill keep looking, I think I am now going to go with the vert

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Berneto,

That looks like a nice deal, I hope you find exactly what you're looking for. I had a co-worker take me for a short ride in his Lotus Elise....it's a VERY opposite car to the Viper and when I took him for a spin in my Viper we both agreed the engineers obviously never met each other or had any schooling in common.

I'd personally have a problem driving in light, efficient engineering marvel such as the Elise as I know if I got hit in by someone driving an average SUV.....I'd be finished. If however I wanted a pure track car for some limited hp class, then the Elise might garner some real consideration (light weight = less tire, brake wear, etc.)....then again, if I'm going racing, I'd ensure I had plenty of budget for those things....so I'd probably still track a Viper.

Regards,
Aaron

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog