New here

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post.... I am picking up a GTS and ran across a comment on Ebay that I would like some feedback on from you guys.... my GTS has a 2002 engine and I do plan to SC.... here's the comment the seller made about his car, which was very nice by the way... just wanted some comments on it.... Thanks guys

-Ebay Seller for a 99' Supercharged GTS
"If you know your vipers you know a 99 is by far the best to supercharge. It is the last year to have forged pistons, 2000 and newer are called "creampuffs" by the viper community due to their weaker cast pistons."

VIPER52USA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, your not buying a creampuff. Supercharge away. You might want to PM Sean Roe, all I can say is he is DA MAN!

OP
OP
G

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks man, I've already tentatively agreed on buying.... so I wouldn't back out either way, just trying to get an idea of what I'll be sitting in.... it's actually a 1997GTS w/a 2002 engine and tranny swap that I'm getting.... just waiting to hear back from the seller if I'll have any Smog issues coming from AZ to CA. He's talking to his Mech. (Has timing slightly advanced w/cats off) we'll obviously throw the cats back on for smog... hope he has good news, can't wait to get it!

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Careful now, a 1999 GTS has forged pistons, but if they swapped in a 2002 engine then it won't. Did they put the '99 pistons in a '02 block? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
G

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope, he said it was a stock crate 2002 engine and tranny swap... engine is stock 2002 with 20K on it.... so engine to engine.... did the GTS lose some muscle when it hit 2K?

VIPER52USA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait a second, your buying a Viper that has a new engine put into it? If so, do you know why he had to put a new one in? Maybe it was wrecked? Hmmmm sounds fishy to me.

OP
OP
G

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking but, it has a clean car fax and title... he kinda lost me with the explanation but, he said one of the lines to the block blew and seperated or something to that matter... and the Dodge dealer suggested a new engine was needed.... and at the time of the install they put a new trans in also... the trans was popping out of gear.... he has all the receipts for the work.... I figured clean car fax and new equipment! can't go wrong.... is the 2002 engine still a nice kicker though?

VIPER52USA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it has a clear carfax then you know something might be wrong. I mean if the new engine and tranny did not show up on the car fax then who knows what else didn't show up. And you say he lost you in the conversation, that might be a problem. I have learned that if you get confused during a purchase, especially one this big, then you need to make sure you know what is going on 100% before making a decision.

OP
OP
G

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shawn if your reading this, not that I don't trust you buddy... but I'm just trying to cover all my bases... you've been awesome to deal with so far :) Hey guys, I just purchased a Carfax of my own.... from what I see, there is no mention of an engine or tranny swap in the history.... can someone else put a second set of eyes on this? and if there is no record of the swap, I'm gathering this is a bad thing?

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/FSBO.cfm?report=CFX000007831628

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Car Fax is useless!

If this was a warranty replacment, then they would have not swaped it out for a 2002 engine.

I would run from this deal. There's too many "if's".

Why did this person tell you that 1999 were a great year to supercharge when he stuck a 2002 engine in it. He is hiding something in my opinion...it's your money...but I wouldn't buy it.

OP
OP
G

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guy who commented on the 1999 was a diffent person, but I agree with you on the "If" part of it all, especially when I'm paying cash. Thx Great guy, but yeah the If's are killing me now.

"If this was a warranty replacment, then they would have not swaped it out for a 2002 engine."

-your right.

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car Fax is useless!

If this was a warranty replacment, then they would have not swaped it out for a 2002 engine.

I would run from this deal. There's too many "if's".

Why did this person tell you that 1999 were a great year to supercharge when he stuck a 2002 engine in it. He is hiding something in my opinion...it's your money...but I wouldn't buy it.

Iv'e got to agree with ab on this one...WHOA! There is nothing wrong with having to replace an engine, but 2/3 of the driveline, sounds like the car has been abused. I would definitely look and ask a bunch of more questions before I would buy this car, especially if you don't completely understand "why" the engine was replaced. There are plenty of good cars out there to be found. Be careful.

Reaction score
Whoa is right!! Don't get all bent out of shape over a new motor!! Maybe, just maybe, he didn't KNOW how to fight the fight (like mepop is doing on his SRT-10 motor), and instead of getting an Arrow rebuild of HIS motor he took the crate motor? All you will get here is conjecture. You call Chuck Tator or Tom Sessions, or Bill P and get the real story....then decide. :)

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it sounds too good to be true! It is! :(

I can't think of any reason that they would put a 2002 engine in a '97, unless it was hit, damaged, etc.

Do some research, have an inspection done, usually costs about $100. Well, worth the trouble and $$, before you get something that's a huge disappointment!

JMO

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer your question, Both motors have the same stock 450HP rating. The non-creampuff version has a little more overlap on the cam (same lift and duration), so they tend to have a lumpier idle and respond better to exhaust mods. The 2002 motor has cast pistons rather than forged as came in the original '99 model. That means you will probably need to keep it below about 650RWHP if you supercharge it. You can always swap pistons and run higher HP, just a matter of money.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IF you get that Viper laws say that you can no longer go by
SaleenS351 LOL!!!!

Good Luck!

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look I know you're probably excited about getting a Viper and the good deal you thought you might have, but do yourself a favor and research a little more (you'll probably discover it wasn't worth it). It may take time, patience, and a little more money BUT you WILL find another Viper without all the "if"s. I waited over half a year before finally settling on the Viper I got (and that's a pretty short time compared to some of the guys stories on here), but it was well worth it!

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saleen,

Welcome to the board! Do like a couple others have suggested. Give Chuck Tator a call and have him run the VIN. Any dealer service performed will show up on the VIN check. Carfax isn't very reliable. Good luck on the purchase, seems like a good price.

OP
OP
G

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thx guys, I made the call and told him unfortunately we were off.... really nice guy, and I do believe he was a stand up guy.... he actually took possesion of the car AFTER the work was done... so the info I told him about the engine work not being on the Car Fax history actually raised his eyebrows.... well I'm back on the hunt for a GTS.... and my mind set is now fixed on Blue/White now.... wish me luck, thanks for the direction too.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blue and white will probably cost you quite a bit extra. If you can live with some other color, you will get more for your money.

My guess on the car you were looking at,
I can't think of a good reason why it would have a 2002 engine AND 2002 transmission.

I'm betting it didn't have either. I'm betting it had the original engine and trans.

The odds are better that the story is not true than the odds of the engine and trans being replaced with a new 2002 pair.

OP
OP
G

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I passed, and I've noticed the Blue/White seems to be alot higher priced.... but I'm a fool for'em! I know I'd never get around to re-painting if I went any other way.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4