New Member....Thought I Would Introduce Myself

Gene

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

Just thought I'd introduce myself as I have just become a new member here. Been reading the forums for quite some time though. I currently own a 2003 Mustang Cobra but am looking for a Viper GTS, most likely looking to buy a 01-02. For years I've had the dream of owning a Viper, looks like it will finally come true in the coming months. I actually went and looked at and test drove a 2000 steel gray GTS/ACR over the weekend. It had 17,000 miles on it. Drove the car for a good 10 minutes or so. Definitely a different feel to it than my Cobra. I drove my buddies 99 RT/10 awhile ago and didn't care for it too much....I liked the GTS a little better. Although I already know it will take some getting used to. If you guys have never driven a 03 Cobra before, like I said, it is a totally differnt feel than the Viper.

Anyway, I LOVED the steel gray with white stripes, loved the ACR rims, the interior was in nice shape, the car looked to be taken care of. It was funny, I know Vipers draw attention, well I witnessed it firsthand....the first car that I came across, the passenger was hanging out the window gawking at the car, lol. I didn't end up buying it. They were asking $54,900, said they would only go down to $54,000. Is that a fair price? I will most likely just hold off until around April and hopefully buy one then. I don't really want to buy one now when I probably won't be able to drive it as much as I would like....winters can get pretty bad here.

As I mentioned, I am probably going to buy a 01-02 GTS. Mainly because of the ABS. I know this topic has been beaten to death, found that out today when I used the search feature. I have no intentions of serious mods, so I could care less about the 96-99 forged engine. I would only be driving it on the street, doubt I'd ever track it. I'd actually drive it about as much as I could as long as it isn't snowing or raining....my Cobra is a DD with almost 64,000 miles on it in just over 2 years. So it seems an ABS car is right for me....still not 100% certain though as my thoughts change with every post I read about that topic, lol.

Anyway, sorry for the long first post. Kind of excited to finally be a member here. Btw, any local Viper owners? I'm in Kennett Square, PA right off of Route 1....about 5 minutes from Longwood Gardens. Any get togethers or anything like that go on in this area. I have three friends with Vipers....although 2 have since sold them. The only one who didn't is a good friend of mine....Sal, I have seen his name mentioned on here so I assume most of you know who he is.

Hope to spend some more time here. :headbang:

-Gene

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to a new member from a new member. I bought my first Viper this past Sept. I LOVE it! The ABS feature is nice even though you NEVER want to use it. Good luck on the search and I highly recommend using www.dodgevipersforsale.com Marv and Nathan Rose are some of the most helpful people you will ever meet. They gave me a very fair deal and the deal was very swift and friendly! Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason

OP
OP
G

Gene

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to a new member from a new member. I bought my first Viper this past Sept. I LOVE it! The ABS feature is nice even though you NEVER want to use it. Good luck on the search and I highly recommend using www.dodgevipersforsale.com Marv and Nathan Rose are some of the most helpful people you will ever meet. They gave me a very fair deal and the deal was very swift and friendly! Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason
Hey Jason, how are you?

I'm curious....you say "you'll never want to use it" referring to the ABS. Why is that? I'm so torn in the ABS thing. I personally think it is a must. But it seems some think otherwise. What exactly is so bad about the non ABS cars....is it that they lock up if you get on the brakes hard and then you have no control over the car? I also kept reading about flat spots on the tires....I'm assuming this is from the tires skidding in hard braking, correct?

It's like I read a few posts saying how the ABS Vipers are so much better, but then read a few more posts about how it isn't that big of a deal.

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not want to use the ABS because I think of them as being used when having to brake HARD to keep from slamming into the back of another car! I don't do much driving that requires HARD use of brakes.

OP
OP
G

Gene

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, but you never know when you may HAVE to slam on your brakes. I've had a few cases where I've had to slam on my brakes....I had some lady pull out in front of me about a month ago when I was doing about 45 mph. I came inches from rear ending her.

diabolos88

Enthusiast
Reaction score
trust me GET ABS!

owned over 7 different vipers, you definitely want ABS on these powerful cars. Especially if you intend to drive hard and fast.

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Gene

The main reason I bought a 2002 was to find one still under the original factory warranty. First thing I did was purchase extended factory warranty which is good for 100,000 or July 2009 (whichever comes first). Unlike the majority of posters, I am mechanically challenged and the Daimler/Chrysler full coverage was important.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to have a car with ABS, but Viper brakes are pretty darn good even w/o ABS. I've had my car since April, its mainly a weekend warrior, but I've yet to have any problems due to not having ABS. And yes, I do drive it pretty hard at times. GA drivers are some of the worst in the world so I'm a little surprised that I havent needed ABS. The newer Gen 2's are more practical for everyday use, but I wouldnt let ABS be my sole reason for buying a 01' or 02' model. I agree with ForensicSteve. The biggest advantage to having a newer Gen 2 would be to have some warranty coverage left and opportunity to buy an extended warranty. Whether you can do the labor or not yourself, Viper parts still carry a heavy "Viper tax" most of the time

OP
OP
G

Gene

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Gene

The main reason I bought a 2002 was to find one still under the original factory warranty. First thing I did was purchase extended factory warranty which is good for 100,000 or July 2009 (whichever comes first). Unlike the majority of posters, I am mechanically challenged and the Daimler/Chrysler full coverage was important.
Ahh yes, that is another main reason I want a 01-02. I am not a pro, but I do know some stuff about working on cars. I've done a few things on my Cobra. Although I'm not sure if I would do work on a Viper....I have no idea about the mechanics of one whereas I've owned a Mustang for the past 5 years and have become pretty familiar with them.

I actually may try to look for a Final Edition, I would rather not have a red car, but I may not have many options this time around.

Thanks for the welcome.

Chad- Thanks for your post. :2tu:

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prices can be more negotiable in the winter. It you need dealer financing many people have had good experiences with Woodhouse Dodge (check out the picture link above). Shipping is considered in the pricing.

Good luck.

KHitman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome Gene. Like Viprvenm, I too bought my Viper from Marv and Nathan at dodgevipersforsale.com. I received great service and a fair price. I was very happy with the experience.

I went through the same thing for ABS vs Non-ABS. I ended up getting an ABS car mainly because they had sold the Non-ABS car that I was looking at, plus, that added safety might come in handy some day.

Good luck on your search. You won't be dissapointed when you finally have one sitting in your garage. Vipers are awesome cars!!!

OP
OP
G

Gene

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prices can be more negotiable in the winter. It you need dealer financing many people have had good experiences with Woodhouse Dodge (check out the picture link above). Shipping is considered in the pricing.

Good luck.
Yeah, I checked out Woodhouse.

I wouldn't need dealer financing. Would be going through credit union.

Thanks for your post.

Welcome Gene. Like Viprvenm, I too bought my Viper from Marv and Nathan at dodgevipersforsale.com. I received great service and a fair price. I was very happy with the experience.

I went through the same thing for ABS vs Non-ABS. I ended up getting an ABS car mainly because they had sold the Non-ABS car that I was looking at, plus, that added safety might come in handy some day.

Good luck on your search. You won't be dissapointed when you finally have one sitting in your garage. Vipers are awesome cars!!!
Thanks for the welcome.

I can't wait for the day when one does sit in my garage.

Two good comments about dodgevipersforsale.com now. I'll have to check them out again.

Thanks.

OP
OP
G

Gene

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have any of you non ABS owners done the rear caliper 40 mm upgrade? How well does it work compared to not doing the upgrade?

Also, how much is a brake upgrade kit for Vipers? Lets say I get a non ABS Viper, if I add an aftermarket brake kit, how much will the braking improve? I've seen the Stoptech brake upgrade being thrown around on this board. What about upgrading to the SRT brakes....didn't a guy on here do that to his yellow GTS?

mike007

Viper Owner
Reaction score
dodgevipersforsale.com is the place i purchased my 97 red rt10 one month ago.definately great people to deal with. they have only top notch cars. my non abs works great for me.

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IEATVETS is only partially correct, IMO. I agree, ABS is overated a bit. My '99GTS doesn't have it, I grew up on cars without it and my other 2 cars do have it. The only time I notice a big difference is in the rain or snow....and believe me, driving a Viper is no fun in either...tires too wide+ground pressure too low+torque numbers too high=way too scarey! Vipers are truly special vehicles, made to enjoy and go fast in. Most of us on the site use them on weekends only, always careful what weather we drive them in, where we go and where we park them. All the stories about chick magnets...all true, chicks of all ages, 5 to 80 years old love them. Great car, but stick with a Gen II car. I've owned both Gen I and II, bought them both new and the Gen II is a better designed car all the way around. You live in PA. as I do, stay with the GTS, you can drive it more months in the year. I think you'd be happy with a nice, clean '98 GTS or newer. Whatever you get, you will surely enjoy it........

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gene, I live in Moorestown,NJ.. Not too far from you... I chose an 01' for the simple fact, I wanted yellow.... Nothing else was an option for me... But the ABS is a very nice feature... I myself have yet to go, to any club gatherings. My weekends are usually spoken for.. Good luck in your search... I ended up buying mine in Southern C.A. from a private party... You'll most likely have to travel to find the right car, at the right price... Came close to buying one from Gary Barbera Dodge in Phily, but the salesman really Pssd me off...

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my '98 Silver GTS a year this December, don't let the weather hold you back from buying. The winter is a good time to buy because it is off season and we'll have less people trying to buy the same Viper. Also, ABS would be nice to have, but look for a nice Viper more so than just the brakes. I have driven my non-ABS in heavy rain many times with no problems, you just have to take it easy. Viper are also easy to work on, in fact easier than most cars. I don't concern myself with car warranties, it's easy money for dealers and rarely needed.

Here is a nice Viper for sale at a dealer in Berlin, NJ, about 40 minutes outside of Philly. I pass it going to work every day. A little pricey.

'99 Silver w/blue ACR for sale in S. Jersey $59K

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
. Btw, any local Viper owners? I'm in Kennett Square, PA right off of Route 1....about 5 minutes from Longwood Gardens. Any get togethers or anything like that go on in this area. -Gene

Welcome Gene!

Sure there are locals and active too. I live in Lancaster which is just a stonethrow away from your city.
We have about 5-8 Vipers active in Lancaster-Harrisburg area, you'll never get a dull momement with us.... :2tu:

Lauri

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome. I second that the best deals are found now before winter and prices go up in the spring.

I don't have ABS and have had to make an emergency stop. An old lady turned left without looking right in front of me. :eek: I was doing 35-40 and still did not hit her. I was left shaky but impressed by the braking abillity.

I avoid rain as it is a car most enjoyed in perfect weather. :cool: Good luck.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
welcome to the forum

I went with an 01 because I wanted the ABS.

have fun with your search for your viper

OP
OP
G

Gene

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IEATVETS is only partially correct, IMO. I agree, ABS is overated a bit. My '99GTS doesn't have it, I grew up on cars without it and my other 2 cars do have it. The only time I notice a big difference is in the rain or snow....and believe me, driving a Viper is no fun in either...tires too wide+ground pressure too low+torque numbers too high=way too scarey! Vipers are truly special vehicles, made to enjoy and go fast in. Most of us on the site use them on weekends only, always careful what weather we drive them in, where we go and where we park them. All the stories about chick magnets...all true, chicks of all ages, 5 to 80 years old love them. Great car, but stick with a Gen II car. I've owned both Gen I and II, bought them both new and the Gen II is a better designed car all the way around. You live in PA. as I do, stay with the GTS, you can drive it more months in the year. I think you'd be happy with a nice, clean '98 GTS or newer. Whatever you get, you will surely enjoy it........
Well I obviously wouldn't drive it in the snow. Can't say for sure if it would see rain or not....most likely it may see alittle, but no downpours or anything like that.

And I am definitely buying a Gen II GTS. I have no interest in a RT/10.

Thanks for your post.

V

venms96

Welcome Gene, can always use another Pennsylvania Viper owner. Like RedEnuf said, we have a great bunch of Viper owners 1-1.5 hrs. from you. Might seem a little far, until you hang out with a bunch of Vipers at one time, then you'll see it was worth the drive. We could always meet you halfway too. You're only thinking of it now, make it happen.

As far as ABS and what you're thinking, enough has been said really. Some great posts about this topic. But you are limiting yourself to two years of Vipers, 01-02 you said. There are a lot of great Gen II GTS and RT cars out there you are forgetting about by narrowing your search for 01-02. Unless you are going to be driving like a madman on Rt.1 or back roads in PA. (which are great roads to drive on), I personally don't think you need ABS. The non ABS cars have brakes that are more than adequate, even at high speeds. Moreover, if ACELLR8 doesn't need ABS, you definitely won't.

Get off the fence. If you want/need any advice about a particular car, feel free to email me or anyone here. I wouldn't get too hung up on ABS, I'd be worrying more about the actual car you are buying, history, $$$, condition, style, and........color. Which, by the way, they are all cool colors.

1996 GTS - Stock ( shut down for winter )

OP
OP
G

Gene

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gene, I live in Moorestown,NJ.. Not too far from you... I chose an 01' for the simple fact, I wanted yellow.... Nothing else was an option for me... But the ABS is a very nice feature... I myself have yet to go, to any club gatherings. My weekends are usually spoken for.. Good luck in your search... I ended up buying mine in Southern C.A. from a private party... You'll most likely have to travel to find the right car, at the right price... Came close to buying one from Gary Barbera Dodge in Phily, but the salesman really Pssd me off...
Yup, Moorestown is just over the bridge. I have no problems traveling to get the Viper I want....I pretty much assume that is what I am going to have to do.

Is Barberas on Route 1?