New mods to my car

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I decided to do some upgrades to my RT-10 after Salt Lake and I was able to get some new go-fast goodies for my Viper. I needed a new radiator, so I got an aluminum triple pass radiator from Roe. I also replaced my worn out OEM cats with a set of High Flow cats. I also got an SCT custom engine programmer. I had 3.55 gears installed along with the speedometer re-calibrator. A little earlier this fall I got a new set of Michelin PS2's to replace my old brittle Pilot Sports and that really was an improvement.

I got the work done by Hank Wenning in Kent and he did a very nice job. I still need to get some more miles on the rear end before I can push it, but it is a noticeable improvement and allows me to actually use 6th gear a lot more often. I also noticed that the high flow cats give a nicer sound with a lot more "attitude" than the stock ones.

All we need now is a run of dry weather so I can get the Viper out and get everything broken in and ready for dyno day in the spring and all the other events like autocross and track days next year.

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's great news Rich, good choice on modifications too!
The only other things I might suggest unless you have already done them are a baffled oil pan (as you will be cornering faster now) and a power steering overflow tube.
Looks like you are well on your way to taking a prize at the dyno day!

OP
OP
R

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I have the power steering overflow already and additionally, Clint put the billet power steering pulley and bracket on a while back. I will look into the baffled oil pan for track days. I am thinking that the next steps after this year may be upgrading the brakes if I start driving a bit quicker. I noticed that at Miller I was kind of using up the brakes during the faster laps. With the Kuhmos on I noticed that I actually was catching up with some of the other cars instead of being the "slow boat" on the course.

SmokinViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good grief! You guys are trying to permanently relegate me to last place on dyno day, aren't you? :omg:

Well go for it! I'll be sneaking up your pipes before you know it! :rolleyes:

BTW - Rich, if you do decide to go for new brakes, I may have found the proverbial needle in the hay stack. I think probably all of Utah heard my brakes at SLC, and I've spent a lot of time researching options that will work both on the track and on the street, but without the noise. And voila! EBC Blues to the rescue!

A couple of years ago, EBC made a Blue series for track only. It was OK I guess, but not a big seller, so they discontinued it. They didn't make any Blues for a year, while they came up with a new formulation and manufacturing process. These new ones are pre-burned in an oven, to bed super-quick. They claim that they'll bed in two hard track stops, which is waaaaay different than the 500-1500 miles for their Red series, or 300-500 miles for their yellows. Plus, they say the Blues cold traction is high enough to be effective on the street, while the hot traction is competitive with the top units in the industry. I haven't tried mine on the track yet, but I've been running around our area on them since November, without a single squeak whatsoever! OMG! I LOVE silence! Well, OK, some silence. :2tu: Definitely something to put on your list to consider! I can't wait till our first autocross (and I'm betting everyone else will be even happier than me).... :burnout: