New owner, First question. ACR's

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: New owner, First question. ACR\'s

Oh, and ACRs come with their own special booklet on the shocks, and they also come with their own special tool for adjusting those shocks. Make sure you have it, its a gold looking tool.

...didn't get the book or the tool. Any idea where to aquire these things? I must have the Dynamic Suspension in our 01

Steve

I am sure orderable from a dealership. Also some one posted color scan/photos of ACR manual, since others had also not gotten it when ownership transfered. I bought my ACR right from the dealership, so I know I got everything that comes with the car. BTW the tool is a fancy looking thing, but effectively, its just an allen wrench on one end and a insertion end on the other (to help rotate the sliding pedastal for ride height). So without it, it doesnt mean you cant still do both, just means you will need the right size allen wrench and some similar tool for the pedastal adjustments.

BTW, I went through about 8 shocks on my ACR, and every time I had to adjust the new ones (I had 59,000 miles on mine at point of sale), one of the things I kept were the pedastal allen screws that go into them for locking the height where you want it. You will find that if you use the original ones more then a time or two, or if they get "seized up" you will pretty much strip out the centers and not be able to tighten them down. If anyone needs any, I have about 8-9 new spares. (just pay shipping)

Jon

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Jon. I do have the big manual. I didn't go through it as, except for the shocks, it's probably pretty much identical to the 2000 manual. I think I'll print your info for reference next year.

Steve

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here is a 2002 ACR sticker if anyone cares:

DSCN0402.JPG

DSCN0403.JPG

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

...didn't get the book or the tool. Any idea where to aquire these things?
Steve

If you haven't done so already, take a look in the pouch on the back of your passenger seat. That's where I found mine after getting a tip from JonB at PartsRack.

Bravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you haven't done so already, take a look in the pouch on the back of your passenger seat. That's where I found mine after getting a tip from JonB at PartsRack.

Damned if the thing wasn't there! (Actually at the bottom of the drivers side seat-back pocket... in a little yellow envelope).
It's a pretty cool tool. Kind of a gold anodized aluminum hot-dog, with the ACR logo milled into it, a hardened pin pressed in to insert into the collars to turn them, and a small allen-head pressed in at 90degrees on the other side of the handle which is there to loosen the collar set-screws. My adjuster wrench had never been out of the bag as the previous owner didn't know it was there either.
-J

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So you're saying they are Dynamic Suspensions adjustable mono-tube shock
absorbers not Koni Adjustable Shocks,

No 10 qt performance oil pan and not baffled

Yes on the different oil filter adapter which increases oil pressure 10PSI & provides maximum oil cooling.

No one the ACR's having forged pistons. 2001's

Optional comfort group option is an additional $1100.00 not 950.00.

Thanks for the clearifications

Just got my Valentine One and toasted my first Mustang GT, didn't even get out of 3rd before he got smaller and smaller, smile...

Can't figure out how to do the Pic's yet, I'll keep working on trying to post pics

Scott

I hadn't seen the 10 PSI increase on the oil filter adapter. My understanding of the difference is that because the oil cooler sits in front of the A/C coil, the non-ACR adapter closes at low RPMs (speeds) to prevent hot oil from flowing through the oil-cooler and "pre-heating" the air flow over the A/C coil when there is little airflow to work with. Since the ACR in true form does not have A/C, and is supposed to be "track ready", the adapter never closes, so it provides constant oil cooling. As a result, A/C effectiveness in your ACR may not be quite as good as in a GTS while driving at low speeds. My car blows cold even sitting in traffic though, so I've not seen it being an issue.

You got most of it correct. but he is right, there is typically 10 lbs increase in oil pressue on the TRACK when you beat the crap outta a gts and you beat the crap outta a acr. The oil stays cooler and therefore it stays thicker and keeps a higher viscosity. Beat the crap outta 2 cars on track, acr and gts, have them sit at idle after they get off track, the acr has usually 10 lbs higher oil pressure. I have seen this myself.

And yes, on a hot day, slow moving and sometimes even really hot highway days, acrs a/c is NOT as good as a gts's due to the fact that the oil cooler hinders its efficiency.

Jon

Hey Jon,
So are you saying that there is nothing mechanically different to create the higher pressure, but the simple fact of the oil staying cooler (and thus more viscous) causes a 10 PSI increase? If so, any idea of what the actual oil temperature difference is between the two systems to create that kind of pressure differential?

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, in order to be a true ACR you need to dump the AC and Radio ;) Great point brought up here! The ACR true heritage as a street/track performance Viper was to omit the Comfort Group....Hard to imagine only
38 Vipers were manufactured true to their design/purpose. Glad I was
fortunate to obtain one of these "Rare ACR's" (99 Silver/Blue) :2tu:

F that.. I live in Houston, and without the AC I'd have to just park it from May to September... You buy a car to drive. And I don't want to sweat my *** everytime I get in it. AC works great too!

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, in order to be a true ACR you need to dump the AC and Radio ;) Great point brought up here! The ACR true heritage as a street/track performance Viper was to omit the Comfort Group....Hard to imagine only
38 Vipers were manufactured true to their design/purpose. Glad I was
fortunate to obtain one of these "Rare ACR's" (99 Silver/Blue) :2tu:

F that.. I live in Houston, and without the AC I'd have to just park it from May to September... You buy a car to drive. And I don't want to sweat my *** everytime I get in it. AC works great too!

Guess I had better just dump all my hemi's and 6-paks, hopefully I can still get some money for them...none of those have A/C?? :rolleyes:

Maybe that explains why soooo many sweet Mopars live in the midwest/northeast?

Geez how did people even survive back then! :headbang:

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Guess I had better just dump all my hemi's and 6-paks, hopefully I can still get some money for them...none of those have A/C?? :rolleyes:

Are they your daily drivers? Do you get 90-105 degree days 6 months out of the year? :rolleyes:

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are they your daily drivers? Do you get 90-105 degree days 6 months out of the year? :rolleyes:

Nope, and Nope.

Are you saying people did not drive these cars in Texas, Cali, Arizona etc in the seventies and sixties? :2tu:

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are you saying people did not drive these cars in Texas, Cali, Arizona etc in the seventies and sixties? :2tu:

I'm sure they did. I had a 69 Z/28 with a 427 in high school and college. No AC. But I was young and tough then. I'm old and a softie now. I need my AC :)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Glad to help. "PAY IT FORWARD" works well here, and THANKS.

Lots of newbees dont know that hiding spot, or that:

1) All Viper seats have a seatback TILT feature.
2) All gen 2 vipers have deep cargo pockets on BOTH seat backs.
3) All Vipers have a TILT Steering wheel.
4) All Gen 2-3 Vipers have adjustable pedals.
5) Gen 3 Vipers have an adjustable dead pedal.
6) All Vipers have SIX speed trans. (2 owners thot Gen 1 were 5)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Hey Jon,
So are you saying that there is nothing mechanically different to create the higher pressure, but the simple fact of the oil staying cooler (and thus more viscous) causes a 10 PSI increase?

There IS a distinct mechanical difference: The absence of an in-line, mechanical shuttle valve on ACRs. The absence of this valve eliminates the in-line restriction. Its very presenece causes LOWER pressure at idle and at WOT. THis pressure ranges from 5-7 lbs.... I have never seen 10PSI reported or claimed. Its absence creates full-time oil cooling, which could heat-soak the AC condensor and result in reduced AC effectiveness.

Back in Gen 1 days, the engine chief for Team Viper alerted us track rats to this fact, discovered in 1994 When AC became factory-available. (92 and 93 did not have the shuttle valve either...now THERE'S a trivia tidbit! ) I spread the word on 3 VCA sites back, and we were actually putting 1993 adapters in 1995-1998 track Vipers ! This fact CREATED the demand and the MoPar Perf part # !

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang