New sidewinder II wheels ?

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a pic of what it looks like a factory Viper (white) with a new sidewinder II wheel, Maybe thats the reason VPA cut the price on them. They look like they can fit bigger callipers ACR maybe?
You must be registered for see images attach

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is Ralph's car parked next to mine at the MCVO party at the Chrysler exhibit on Thursday night at the Woodward Ave. Dream Cruise. The wheels had a different finish and a different offset than the Hyper Black on my car. I liked the Hyper Black better. The tires were Pirelli P Zero's. Bill

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Sidewinder II wheels are produced by Motegi, which is the performance/tuner division of American Racing. You may notice a similar spoke design on the GTS-R racecars.

You must be registered for see images

But, here is the real problem. Being that they are essentially produced by American Racing, there are now clones of the Viper wheels available for the masses. Not the same lightweight rotary forged construction, but the same styling in a cheaper cast version, called the MR120. So, you'll start seeing these wheels show up on Mustangs, Camaros, and other cars very soon.

Even our Viper cousins can get them, now.

And the Honda crowd, too

For those of you that can't bear the idea of a kid pulling up next to your Viper in his Kia Soul sporting the same wheels, I am here to help. We can put some custom built wheels on that Viper. :D

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's sad to see these rims design show up on other cars like that. Its kinda like the ZR1 vs normal Vettes. Yes its better than them but it still looks the same as them. So even though the Viper version is better forged than the mass produced versions and thus a better rim it still looks the same as the knock offs. Id love to see this design with a nice 4" or higher lip. Or even concave treatment. I bet it would be killer. It really is a nice design SRT chose for the stock Viper rims. One of the nicer factory rims Ive seen on any car imho..

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember , guys, you can get the rim in Hyper Black or Matte finish, and it will alter the look.
If you remember, Ralph's car was originally equipped with the Matte Black finish. This was a different color----maybe a matte graphite? And definitely a different wheel, with about an inch deeper dish on the rear wheel. Ralph said they were made by the vendor who makes racing wheels for SRT. I should have asked more questions and paid closer attention, I guess. Bill

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's sad to see these rims design show up on other cars like that. Its kinda like the ZR1 vs normal Vettes. Yes its better than them but it still looks the same as them. So even though the Viper version is better forged than the mass produced versions and thus a better rim it still looks the same as the knock offs. Id love to see this design with a nice 4" or higher lip. Or even concave treatment. I bet it would be killer. It really is a nice design SRT chose for the stock Viper rims. One of the nicer factory rims Ive seen on any car imho..

What is more sad is that Motegi released that cheaper cast version in late 2012, before the Viper even hit the streets. So, some of these buyers had them before we had the Vipers. Doh!

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally other than the Gen II ACR wheel (my favorite wheel of all time), I think these wheels are awesome. I really don't care if they are on any other car either. BBS wheels have been on other cars for years as well. I don't worry about what other people like, it's what I like, if others share my taste I don't have an issue with that.

OP
OP
C

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The center part of the wheel on the white viper, is different than the regular sidewinder II.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you remember, Ralph's car was originally equipped with the Matte Black finish. This was a different color----maybe a matte graphite? And definitely a different wheel, with about an inch deeper dish on the rear wheel. Ralph said they were made by the vendor who makes racing wheels for SRT. I should have asked more questions and paid closer attention, I guess. Bill

The good thing is, none of them look as good on any other car as they do the Viper

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The center part of the wheel on the white viper, is different than the regular sidewinder II.

Exactly right. The ones on Ralph's white car appear to have been developed for more brake caliper access. We should keep an eye on his car, it might show up with bigger brakes someday...

former345bhpLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked on the SRT website and those are the same wheels on the new SRT Viper GT3-R minus the center lock hubs. Possible insight into the new ACR wheels as alluded to by Nine Ball?

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly right. The ones on Ralph's white car appear to have been developed for more brake caliper access. We should keep an eye on his car, it might show up with bigger brakes someday...

His job is awesome. I'm sure it comes with lots of stress too, but the grass sure looks green where he is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950