New SRT-10, added Paxton ans Moton's. Truly remarkable..

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
New SRT-10, added Paxton ans Moton\'s. Truly remarkable..

Hello;

Alright folks, listen up! My new Copperhead from Woodhouse (thanks Bill P.!) was just delivered Friday afternoon. I had Woodhouse install the Paxton supercharger and full set of MOTON shocks, springs, etc. Initial Dyno on new (I'm talking NEW with 35 miles on the ODO) put down 720 Horsepower to the flywheel... WOW! Woodhouse boy's tell me I probably will Gain another 20-40 horsepower from proper break-in.

Now, there's more to tell here, so hang on for the descriptions, OK?

The MOTON shocks are SO MUCH OF AN IMPROVEMENT IN EVERY WAY!! Sorry to shout, but you NEED Moton's! You don't know what you are missing, I promise.

So, why are the Moton's so great ? From the second you drive the SRT-10 with Moton's you will feel that the ride quality and steering feel is like a Porsche, BMW, etc. No ********, folks. Night and day to me! I know, as I've owned 4 Vipers now. I traded in my Silver SRT (no Motons, but hopped-up engine wise). I had driven my 03' SRT-10 for 13,000 wonderful miles (and Viper Days track time).

The Viper with Moton's is a PLEASURE (luxury car feel) on the highway. No more "tram-lining" (sp?) or tracking ruts on the highway with enough tenacity that the wheel could practicall be ripped from your hands. That is GONE... YES!

Now, when you are driving at slower (parking lot/ or stop-go rush-hour jams) the "herky-jerky" bucking is almost non-existent.

Oh, the SRT is LOWERED about 1" just my installing the Moton's, and it looks great! WOW, it rides, handles, and LOOKS better too. Plus, the Moton's are adjustable (16 click settings for each shock/springs,etc. I believe I paid high $4,000 for this Moton upgrade. I would pay DOUBLE for this quality of ride. PLEASE, you owe it to yourself to add the Moton's (I'll find out which model/series they are. I am thinking "Club-Sport" series). If you want to drive MY VIPER, you are welcome to experience this wonder. Send me a PM if you want to get together.

Now for the PAXTON evaluation. I have never had a "Supercharger" on any vehicle. I have had many Turbo's- Porsche, Volvo, Audi, etc. A "Supercharger" FEELS DIFFERENT. Very "Jet like" and linear when you hear it start working. Like a "Whoosh" followed by a hiss of pressure release when you back off the gas.

OK, now the Paxton "NOVI" set-up from Woodhouse (installed) runs around $10 thousand bucks installed. FACTORY EXHAUST IS STILL ON MY COPPERHEAD, (FYI).

With the Moton's and the Paxton on the car, the Moton's really keep the extra power "planted" to the ground. "Wheel Hop" is all but GONE. Really, it feels like I've got "all-wheel drive". Boy, is the Copperhead (or any SRT-10) fast with this set-up. I am in break-in period, so I am trying to stay under 4K RPM for 500 miles or so. The power is always there with the Paxton, apparently, but you really feel (and quietly hear) it kick in. No LAG. Just WHOooooooshh.... and your going 80mph. Wonderful.

Compared to the 10K I spent with Woodhouse last summer for Heads, Cam, Fly-wheel, under-drive pulley, rockers, computer, header's, etc... the Paxton is superior, and 100plus HP over all of that engine work I did. If anything, I will add the Corsa "Cat-Back" Sport exhaust to remind me of HOW FAST I am probably going. No "Corsa Track-Exhaust" this time. Too loud for my neighborhood.

There you have it folks. I am amazed at the quality of ride, the power, and the overall incredible improvement in my Viper. If you don't care about the power, the Moton's will amaze you (and your wife will think it rides like a Rolls in comparison).

Highly recommended!

Thanks, I'm goin' a waxin' and a drivin' now... Yeeeee Haaa.... .

Jim W.
I will post pic's, hopefully today!

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: New SRT-10, added Paxton ans Moton\'s. Truly remarkable..

Motons are sounding better all the time. Since Woodhouse installed your Paxton and sold you the car, just what is your warranty situation given everything that was done to the car????

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Motons are sounding better all the time. Since Woodhouse installed your Paxton and sold you the car, just what is your warranty situation given everything that was done to the car????
Just got to find the right dealer and warranty issues will not be a problem. Unless you are breaking half-shafts like crazy.... :D

OP
OP
J

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score

hello;

Woodhouse stands behind whatever they do. Paxton also has a warranty as well.

I have extreme confidence in Woodhouse, and their impeccable service. I am NOT concerned at all.

The Moton's are so noticeable, you will wonder why they are not stock. The Moton's are NOT just for racer's. The Moton's are simply a different story altogether. The ride is nothing short of a different driving experience. Every compaint about "harsh ride" is gone. I will swear that this is the most miraculous change in the Viper i have ever experienced. This is THE Viper i always wanted.!

Dothe Moton's. You, and your passenger's will be amazed. Heck, I haven't even been to the track yet. Night and daqy difference in driving enjoyment AND hook-up. WOW!

Jim W.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jim -

I hope you are planning on bringing that beauty to the Zone Rendezvous next month. Would love to see that car in person and beg for a ride around the block. Sounds to me like the PERFECT SRT-10 would be built with the following:

1. Paxton supercharger

2. Moton shocks

3. Quaife differential

Sure, there are other things you could do to "spice it up" (exhaust, interior, paint the car yellow ;) ), but it sounds to me from what I have been reading that the three mods above would make this car virtually unbeatable in any respect. Oh yeah, and maybe swap out the tires - although I am finding with 33 pounds in the runflats it seems to hook much better...

Congrats on the new ride and that Woodhouse treatment!

Chris

MAVERICK

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Jim,

What are the specs on the Motons? How long of an installation?

Charles

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes. Motons make a huge difference.

If you have 16 "clicks" of adjustment, then it sounds like you have different Motons than I have. You've got the Moton racing shocks. I got the "club sports", which have only 7 levels of adjustment. If you paid $4000 for the full Moton racing shocks, then that is a pretty sweet deal.

Do you know what spring rates you are running with your front and rear springs?

DB/Paxton SRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Do you have any tire scraping with sharp turns or bottoming out with dips, speed bumps, etc. I have had other cars that have been lowered and this problem has always driven me nuts. The Motons do sound great.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm gonna save my cash and buy H ennessey's new shocks. Motons are WAY over priced!

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

$2995 cash. Need to know the difference among models though.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

$2995 cash. Need to know the difference among models though.

Is that the price for Motons?

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, I have a one-time shot at Motons (my choice of model) for $2995. Not certain which ones I want.

I need to know how much this helps wheel hop from those ____ run flats and whether there are clearance problems with the car 1" lower.

Thanks.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My car seems to scrape already! I'm not sure what I would do with another inch drop!

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Different models of Motons:

Club Sport 2-way adjustable (bump, rebound), 7 positions
Motor Sport 2-way adjustable,(bump, rebound) 15 positions
Motor Sport 3 way adjustable (low speed bump, high speed bump, rebound) 15 positions
Motor Sport, 4 way adjsutable (low speed bump, high speed bump, low speed rebound, high speed rebound) 15 positions

The Club Sports are about $3500.
The Motor Sport 2 ways are quite a bit more. ($5000)
The 3 ways are about $6000
The new 4 ways are about $11,000

http://www.hrpworld.com

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The rear end sits too high. People use the side and front carbon fiber "splitters" apparently without a major problem.

My question is what happens with that extra 1" drop and how much this does for the wheel hop.

Alice & The Viper Blog

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Alice, I have had the Motons on for three Viper Days events. The car is about 1.5" lower. Only minor rubbing problem on the fronts only we raised it 1/4" and the problem went away. And that rubbing was in hard corner braking but no body problems resulted. Buy the Motons you wil not regret the purchase. The install took two of us about three hours. The hasrest part is leveling the car again. The biggest problem is the nylon set screws they use for the spring perch. THEY ARE GARBAGE whomever you buy the Motons from, purchase 4 extra spring perch lock nuts so you can run the nuts together to insure they won't move. I had to readjust the ride height twice in a 24 hour period because the lower spring perch moved. This was a major PITA and caused me to miss two run sessions at Viper Days @ Mid America two weeks ago. Once we installed the second nut(JAM NUT)the movement problem went away. You will not beleive the difference in handling after you have Motons on your SRT10 both on the track and autocrossing. They are well worth the money. They are one of those purchase like the Viper was that I have never regretted making.

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Alice, I have had the Motons on for three Viper Days events. The car is about 1.5" lower. Only minor rubbing problem on the fronts only we raised it 1/4" and the problem went away. And that rubbing was in hard corner braking but no body problems resulted. Buy the Motons you wil not regret the purchase. The install took two of us about three hours. The hardest part is leveling the car again. The biggest problem is the nylon set screws they use for the spring perch. THEY ARE GARBAGE whomever you buy the Motons from, purchase 4 extra spring perch lock nuts so you can run the nuts together to insure they won't move. I had to readjust the ride height twice in a 24 hour period because the lower spring perch moved. This was a major PITA and caused me to miss two run sessions at Viper Days @ Mid America two weeks ago. Once we installed the second nut(JAM NUT)the movement problem went away. You will not beleive the difference in handling after you have Motons on your SRT10 both on the track and autocrossing. They are well worth the money. They are one of those purchase like the Viper was that I have never regretted making.

MAVERICK

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The Club Sports are $3500 but that does not include the springs which is another $495. You could get the whole setup from Woodhouse for $3700. Labor to install according to Woodhouse is about 7 hours and the alignment is another 6 hours. If you have a S/C its abit more complicated. So figure another $1,000 in labor costs to do it right.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For those with Paxtons and Motons, I'd love to see a picture of your engine compartment. I'm trying to figure out where you put the Moton remote canisters for the front shocks.

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How are they measuring flywheel horsepower???

How hard is the alignment job. I know its a Viper but 6 hours for an alignment seems outragous!

Good write up. Soundling like dumping the runflats and replacing the shocks is going to be a cure for lots of the knocks folks had on the SRT.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve:

This is more of a whining complaint, but why cannot aftermarket manufacturers create products that are designed (at the prices they charge)to fit. Modifying items such as fasteners and bushings is uncalled for). Case in point was that silliness with the K&N housing (hose fitting) that whistled. I did not have it, but many people did. Moton makes a set up especially for the Viper. It should be a direct "drop in" and not require replacement of the parts they provide.

When you drop $4k plus installation on Motons, they should bolt right up, create no subsequent hassles and all parts should be flawless.

P.S. On another note, after that rant, do you have any rear visibility with your wing? Autoform said that it cuts down further on already poor rear viewing.

Alice & The Viper Blog

OP
OP
J

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Hello;

Moton's from Woodhouse installed "Club Sports" for 4K plus a couple hundred. Installation was flawless; two little cannisters and a circular gizmo up front, and two diagonally mounted cannisters in the trunk with knurled adjustment knobs.

Just about 400 miles on the Copperhead since Friday's delivery. NO RUBBING. Woodhouse said they adjust each Viper to their view of the optimum settings. Total lowering height via Woodhouse's description: about 1" inch. NOT, 1.5".

I've been so busy grinning and driving that I haven't even read the owner's manuals yet, and I love owner's manuals. All I know is, THESE MOTON'S ARE WONDERFUL!

Many folks here get into tech specs and don't drive there Viper's many miles. Sorry, but I'm not one of those folks. I bought it to drive and enjoy! These shocks and SPRINGS aren't cheap, but they are worth every penny to me.

I don't know how to post pic's, but I can send some to someone who can.

Any volunteer's?

Anything really good is rarely cheap. I am fortunate to able to afford these extra goodies, and i can tell you that my set-up is absolutely wonderful and absolutely worth every penny.

Hey, pay with Visa and you'll get frequent flyer miles (if you do?).

If you like to put miles on your Viper, get the moton's.

Jim W.

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ALice,
The wing lines up perfectly with the cross bar on the roll bar, so the decrease in visibility from the wing is no more an issue than the roll bar. I did not want their new version with the cross bar below the rear header panel, as I thought with the cross bar that low the diagonal rigidty would be effected. Heck I wish the cross bar was across the top of the hoops, but then you would not be able to use the convertible top.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Gosh, I work there and I even think 6 hours to align seems awful high! I know we do a competion alignment with corner weighting, but it is a flat fee ,not an hourly amount. The guys do mount the Motons differently than suggested and it looks very nice in the trunk, with easy accessability.

OP
OP
J

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Alice, and gentle reader's;

The wheel hop is so greatly reduced compared to my other, normal Viper's. No comparison so far; BUT, I am NOT really going ape-$%@& crazy yet with the gas pedal. Yes, a couple of risque, brisk (VERY brisk) jaunts to 5K rpm or so (just cause' I HAD TO!). Just a very brief, rear-end skitch before digging in.

Full blown clutch drops may be different; don't know yet. However, full blown clutch drops are really only great if you want to create a cloud o' smoke or are getting ready to drag at the strip. Unless you want to lose, of course. These Moton's seem to really balance out the initial thrust of the beast.

Combined with the Paxton, the sensation is akin to the feeling of taking off in a small jet... smoooth and set's you back in the seat.

Installation time: done after hours because Woodhouse's lifts are busy doing normal alignments and the Moton's take some attention to detail to get them well adjusted. I paid for installation and didn't expect the Copperhead for a day or two.. so time didn't really matter to me.

Initial, "******" Mustang Dyno put me at 720HP to the flywheel with only 35 miles on the car, as i wrote in my first post. Woodhouse expects another realistic 20-40 HP after break-in. Amazing!

The Copperhead is a beautiful color that is the most "custom" paint job of any factory Viper to date. If you haven't seen one in person, in the sunlight, you honestly can't form an opinion until you do. There is serious layering to the colors: Wine red, Gold metallic, Burn't orange, yellow metallic, and kind of a "Tomato Soup" solid color in the shade that seems almost like a piece of Indian pottery. VERY COOL INDEED! You need to see one in the sun. The ultimate Viper paint job, and very, very custom looking indeed.

I own #31 of 300 in the run.

So, who want's to host my amateur pic's? I may be in them with a drool cup, maybe not!

Jim W.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Send them to me and I'll post although many others will likely also volunteer.

Sleeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

After preparing a frozen entree in the microwave, I wander outside to better appreciate the beautiful day. The dulcet sound of gentle sniffing catches my attention, and turning I see my dog Caleb attempting to enjoy my turkey tetrazzini along with me. With nose pointed upward, he's licking at the air while following close behind. This licking thing makes me laugh out loud, and I'm reminded of his superior olifactory senses. We smell the stew cooking, whereas our canine friends smell the individual components in the recipe. They are clearly getting more out of the experience than we are. Okay, stay with me here.

Having read his initial post, I was quite pleased (you'll soon know why) to see that, despite owning several previous Vipers, Jim appears to be getting much more out of his driving experience than ever before. He attributes this to 1) the awesome and complex Copperhead color, 2) Moton Club Sports, and 3) the Paxton blower. I contacted Jim to discuss the similarities of our purchases (Bill Pemberton, Copperhead, Moton, Paxton). Mine will be here in a few days. So much for having an unique ride :2tu:

I offered to post some of Jim's pics, so here they are:

6718IMG_0026-med.jpg

6718IMG_0028-med.jpg

6718IMG_0035-med.jpg

6718IMG_0036-med.jpg

6718IMG_0042-med.jpg

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looks GREAT!! Definitely a better stance with the Motons too. Hopefully we will see it next month at the Zone Rendezvous at the Kansas Speedway. For those that have not seen the Copperhead in person, it is easily the deepest, best paint job I have ever seen on a Viper. Congrats on the awesome ride!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte