New tires in my living room

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got my new rear tires from The Tire Rack yesterday. They are NON run-flats 345/35YR-19 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Scuderia (Enzo tires)

I printed the list of recommended installers....Ugh

Inman Tire Service was third on the list in my area. The official name of this establishment is INMAN TIRE AND SEED. They sell chickens. too.

I can just imagine picking up the Viper and finding a hen laying eggs in it...

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really? 35 series? When I looked the Enzo tire was 345-40-19 and WAY too tall for a Gen II. If they have it in 35 now that could be a huge breakthrough for you Gen III guys and Gen I-II on 19s. Put them on and let us know how they stick.

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you just doing the rears and leaving the run-craps up front??????? Do they make that thar Bridgestone in a size to fit the front as well?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wanted to say I mispoke above, it is the 35 series Bridgestones that will not fit on a Gen II and would be way taller than stock on a Gen III.

OP
OP
V

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I'm back....I've been driving all weekend. Gotta say the tires make a huge difference. I'll try to answer the questions above:
The Enzo tire is a 35 series. It is the largest that will fit. I measured carefully, but still wasn't 100% sure. The circumference is 88 inches. Without any (and I do mean NONE) tread, the circ. of the originals was 84". There is about 1/2" clearance to the front plastic liner. After some aggressive driving, I heard no rubbing. They visually are VERY different from the 30 series. Took me a few minutes to get used to the look.
Yes, I left the run flats up front. They still have 2000+ miles on them while the replacement tires sit in the living room. They are Michelin non-run flats. 285 35 18's. I know, another small bump in size.
I plan on lowering the car. That will make the tires completely fill the wheelhouse. This is the look I wanted from the start. As soon as someone has a reasonable way ($$$) of lowering the car an inch....

I took pictures, but left the camera in the car at home today. I'll post them here tomorrow.

Now the driving eval: THE RIDE IS MUCH BETTER. I guess I knew it would be, going from stiff 30 series run-crap sidewalls to 35 non's. The traction is MUCH better. The Michelins were slicks and I still couldn't keep them from spinning. The Enzo tires will still break loose, but it is much more difficult. They're new so they will get better as I put miles on them, and the temp warms up. As far as mixing brands, I never believed it was a problem. Mixing run-flats and non? The rear end now feels stable, the front end still wants to follow every groove in the road. Handling balance is different now. The car still will not understeer, but the backend feels more glued to the pavement. It will be interesting to feel the difference when I put the new fronts on.

MAVERICK

Viper Owner
Reaction score
David,

Grreat post.

How much did the rear tires run and what are you going to put on the front?

Charles

OP
OP
V

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rear tires were $316 each. The Michelins were over $400 each, so it wasn't a tough choice.

I have the two fronts ready to put on, they are also non run-flats. Michelin 285 35 18's. I got a super deal on them about six months ago. My cats have been using them as a place to scratch and sleep since I got them.

I left the camera in the car, at work this time. I'll walk out to the parking lot at lunch and upload the pics.

OP
OP
V

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3104Picture_084-med.jpg

3104Picture_085-med.jpg

3104Picture_086-med.jpg

Notice how a good cleaning makes the calipers stand out again! I'll get the fronts when I take the change the tires.

OP
OP
V

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just found the rear tires had 45lbs of air in them from the installer. Make sure you check your pressures before leaving!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte