** New to the site ** i have some Questions please

67 vette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm new to the site and this is my first post, so please be easy on me. I don’t know the ins and outs of this site.
I have a 67 vette and was thinking of selling or trading it for a Viper. Just changing gears for a while. I like the rounded door models and love the side exhaust. I'm use to a 40 year old car and I can work on it and parts are not a problem.

I have some questions.

Any particular year one should say away from do to problems ?
How easy are they to work on ?

Thanks,

Jeff

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 1's (92-96 RT/10s) had crappy original head gaskets (paper style). Replacement sets (MLS style) are about $1200 and can only be bought from Dodge.

These cars are surprisingly simple to work on ("Its just a Dodge"). A lot of us do our own work on our Snakes.

Good luck in your search!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Jeff...welcome to the site.

Your question is a good one...but the answers will somewhat depend on your taste, intent, and budget.

If you would like a great book on much of the car's history, options, build numbers (and a TON MORE info), contact JonB at PartsRack (site sponsor) and order Maurice Liang's " Viper Buyer's Guide", digest same for a GREAT overview...

then, contact
some members of your local VCA and spend some time discussing issues and looking at cars.

If you are dying to get started today, drop me an e-mail with your number, and I'll call you...I "play Viper" much of most days and enjoy them immensely.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff welcome to the site.

I have owned 6 corvettes, still have my Z06 but I can tell you my GTS is BY FAR the most unbelievable car I have ever owned. It's my first Viper, and it won't be my last.

If I could I'd get into an '06 coupe, but if your budget is around 50-60K, get a '99 or older (forged pistons) and s/c it. You'll have a very popular body style and a LOTTA guts under the hood.

I am sure the guys will chime in here, they know a LOT about their cars.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd suggest getting a 99. although i am a bit biased since i do own a 99 RT/10. I researched for a while and found that the 99 is the best year..for me! It is the last year of the forged pistons, meaning you can spray more nitrous or run more boost out of a super charger without hurting your internals. Plus a 99 has upgraded since 98 and older with the 18" wheels and interior like a 00-02. Although it does NOT have ABS brakes.
It all depends on what your wanting to do with the car.

SidewinderGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wecome to the site.These guys on this site are AWESOME.
I drive a 97GTS and it would be nice if I had ABS.
Taking driving school to handel this beast is a must. :smirk:

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
How easy are they to work on ?

Jeff - welcome to the boards. To answer the above question,
I got my baby from looking like this:

First_Day_2.jpg

To looking like this:

3194Carlisle_2006_2.jpg

Using only these tools and a roll of duct tape (not pictured:)

100_0788.JPG

:D

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 67 vette and was thinking of selling or trading it for a Viper. Just changing gears for a while. I like the rounded door models and love the side exhaust. I'm use to a 40 year old car and I can work on it and parts are not a problem.
Jeff

I did a similar thing: sold my '68 for an SRT, believe me you won't regret it, well maybe a tiny bit a first, and then a bit later, when you realize the 'ol car guys dont want your flashy Viper to hang with them anylonger at shows-

You get over that fast though with the incredible modern performance of the Viper. I just love that I went from a '68 roadster with sidepipes to a '05 roadster with pipes. It's just kewl!! :p

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Advice.....buy the book......"Viper Buyers Guide" read it twice cover to cover

In the mean time.... see the horizontal red bar at the top of the page.....
explore every category and sub-category.

After completion of the above you'll be a Viper quasi-expert.

Good luck!

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, welcome to the site. The nice thing is that for the most part, the people on this site are the most knowledgable of all owners in the automotive industry. Some really first rate people here.

The cars are relatively simple to work on. Parts, while available, can be expensive due to dealers who overcharge. Some of the most problem prone areas include air conditioning systems that are underpowered, doors that sag over time and for some strange reason - rear tires that wear out quicker than on most cars. :)

Browse for a bit here....take it all in. Don't make a rash buy. Learn the ins and outs. Then get the car you really want, but may not know anything about now.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad mentioned the head gaskets on Gen 1's were bad. Many of the cars have had the gaskets done already, as stated the price is $1200.00 for the gaskets.

I think Gen 1's get a real bad rap just because of the head gasket issue, and even though $1200 isn't cheap... it's not the end of the world if you work on your own vehicles.

* Case in point- Take a good look at the tires on any proposed Viper you might buy, If there old or worn... a set of new tires costs $1400.00

If you don't have good rubber your going to end up in ditch.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You probably really cant go wrong, but like others mentioned, its all about your intent and budget. Do you want a convertible or a Coupe?? The GEN 1 and II's are very nice and like some mentioned, certain years had forged pitons which is a big plus. Many liked the older styling better then the newer GEN 3 (2003 and up).

But some of the die hard GEN II guys Ive talked to are now selling theres for a newer GEN 3 simply for the ABS and the way the car just seems easier to drive. I feel every year usually gets better,so the newer you can buy the better. Again, you cant go wrong with any year, you'll be in love the minute you start driving one. But I always opt for the NEW cars.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In general Viper's are easy to work on because they are disc brake push-rod engined cars. Exotic in performance, but not technology (until the 600 HP Gen IV engine arrives later this year) Only dif from your vette is fuel injection is a bit more modern, and you'll need to get a few metric tools :)

The later the model, the more complicated and inclusive/integrated the electronics become. Parts tend to be high, but several used or discount parts sources are available: Parts Rack, Tators Dodge, Woodouse Dodge, X2 Builders, Larry's Viper Parts, Roanoke Motors, etc. Also read these forums and you'll find out which other Chrysler vehicle parts will work on Vipers ;)

Gen I - simple push rod V-10, minimal electronics, non-abs, no OBD II, no power mirrors or windows, no airbags, single O2 sensor per side, pretty much a big engine with only the parts needed to "go-fast" attached.

only real issue - need to go to mls (multi-layer-steel) head gaskets as mentioned and many parts are already "No longer serviced". suppliers such as DC Performance, Archer, etc. are starting to make some parts/alternatives needed they become unavailable or as factory prices become "high" - water pumps, A/C condensers, etc.

'96 Gen 1 - added OBD II

Gen II- '96 GTS -97 RT/10, airbags, power windows

later Gen II's added ABS, power mirrors, airbag cutoff switch

Gen III- became a much more refined car, engine still a V-10 push rod, just bigger :2tu:

Gen III.5 Engine is going to be a very complicated V-10 pushrod with variable exhaust timing (cam within a cam) and all the associated pumps and electronics that go with it.

for a pretty complete summary of changes, go to:

www.theviperregistry.org/features.php

If you'd like to see alot of pictures of the various model years, go here:

www.theviperregistry.org/gallery/

Although this is an older article, if you are looking for a Gen I, it is informative:

Buying a Viper

There are some absolutely unreal deals on Gen III's right now, and a few fantastic deals on Gen II's in the classifieds right now at: Viperclub.org classifieds

Hope to hear you are in a Viper soon!

Bonkers has me beat(and it took a few more tools), mine started like this:

5Viper_on_Rack_1-med.jpg

5Jays_rear_spoler_mounted_2.jpg

Now looking like this:

Jays_Viper-outside.jpg

Jays-outside_rear.jpg

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Few more Gen I/II items to be aware of:

1) Gen I Corrosion on side sills (you'll see paint "bubbles")
2) Gen I Headlight switch overheated - look under the dash for discolored (or worse) melted connector on the back of the headlight switch
3) Gen I/II Power steering pump pully and mounting bracket - just replace them with billet pieces from "Dave's Big Brakes"