New Tow Vehicle Eco Diesel Ram

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Picked up a 2014 Eco Diesel Ram 1500 Longhorn 4X4. It has a 3.0 V6 Turbo diesel and an 8 speed Torque flight tranny. The other day at 68 mph, I was getting 32 mpg, No trailer in tow. I did pull my 24 foot trailer last week and it did pretty well. Way to go Dodge, this truck is awesome.

FLAT OUT

VCA Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Good choice on the new truck.Hope to see you in Sebring on Nov 22. I just ordered new rotors from VPA for the SRT 10.
They were a lot of help and awesome to work with ,as always.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice choice John. Dealers up our way haven't been ordering any 1500 Diesels. I don't get it.

salties

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have this truck since april 15 , mpg on highway average around 24-25 . around town 17-21.
it's a great truck so far . I don't tow .

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've driven a Grand Cherokee with that motor in it.
Amazing performance.

How they get so much out of such a little powerplant is unbelievable. :omg:

OP
OP
fuelman

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Coming up on 9 days of ownership, have 540 miles on it now and I have yet to put diesel in it. I am sitting on an 1/8th of a tank, so will fuel up tomorrow, completely impressed so far, engine is very quiet for a diesel.

salties

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coming up on 9 days of ownership, have 540 miles on it now and I have yet to put diesel in it. I am sitting on an 1/8th of a tank, so will fuel up tomorrow, completely impressed so far, engine is very quiet for a diesel.[/QUOTE

All 540 highway miles

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious, can you justify the added hit for the diesel compared to fuel economy ? Seems that diesel fuel is now more than reg. gas at many pumps...isn't the 5.7 a good unit to pull with as well ?? Just asking !!

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted one of those, but couldn't wait for them to come out. I needed a new truck a year ago, picked up a '13 Ram 4x4 1500 w/ 8-speed. It only averages about 20 mpg highway, 18.5 overall. It tows my open car hauler no problem though, even at 90 mph (when needed) :)

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious, can you justify the added hit for the diesel compared to fuel economy ? Seems that diesel fuel is now more than reg. gas at many pumps...isn't the 5.7 a good unit to pull with as well ?? Just asking !!

That's a good question. The variables in the equation are so variable that it is hard to compute. The cost of diesel as a percentage relative to regular unleaded gas varies widely.

Today in my area, Diesel =$3.40/gal ; Regular Unleaded gas =$ 2.65/gal
That means that at 20mpg for the gas truck, fuel cost = $0.133/mile.
For the 24 mpg diesel truck, fuel cost = $0.142/mile
----Gas wins

Earlier this year it calculated like this. diesel =$3.80/gal ; Regular Unleaded gas = $3.40/gal
That means that at 20mpg for the gas truck, fuel cost = $0.17/mile.
For the 24 mpg diesel truck, fuel cost = $0.158/mile
----Diesel wins

I bought my truck for it's hauling capability which, I think is higher for the diesel than the gas engine, if comparing similar running cost. The torque rating is much higher. If just using the truck for very occasional hauling or light hauling, then the gas version is probably the better $/mile value.

Last edited:

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Especially when you factor in the additional 4 or 5 grand for the diesel....maybe get some back at trade in time ???

OP
OP
fuelman

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The 5.7 Hemi is awesome, and actually it has a higher tow rating then this little 3.0 liter diesel. I used to always run gas engines in my trucks, but went to diesel about 8 years ago and just cant see driving a truck that isn't diesel anymore, well except if it has a Viper V10 in it. Probably the Hemi is less once you factoring in the $2600 up charge for this diesel engine and the cheaper gasoline, but there is just something cool about this little motor and what it can do. The dealer actually tempted me with a 2500 with a 6.4 Hemi in it? He told me it tows hard and runs hard with the added Hp and Tq. I am hoping for a "HellCat Ram 1500" single cab (4x4) to come out, come on Dodge build it!!!

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice buy. I kept looking at one, but the demand was so "hot" around here that every dealer only wanted to sell me the truck AT MSRP no rebates. I laughed and walked away.

Supposidly VM can't keep up with the demands of the motor and the diesel equipped trucks are very hard to get right now with that little 3.0.