New Viper Convertible on order-Can I trust my Dealer?

David Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All.
I'm brand new to this forum and to Vipers. I have a new convertible on order. I actually put a deposit down a year and a half ago, and was told by my local dealer that I was THIRD on the list at that time. I recently called them and they told me that it was too early to specify colors, etc. What can I expect from the dealer? Will they honor list price?
I have some experience in dealer gouging since I have a Ferrari 550. My local Ferrari dealer loves to mark up cars, but they do have a strict policy of MSRP for customers who put down a deposit and waited.

Thanks,
David Shapiro

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
David,

Here's how the 2003 SRT orders worked:

Certificates were available to current Viper owners only, who bought their Vipers new. Each qualified owner was allowed to access a website, or specific phone lines, to order their certificate. These certificates were then sent out to the lucky participants, and they in turn, could visit ANY Dodge dealer and order their car, which all have done. The color WAS requested on the order form (choices were silver, black or red). There were a few certificates that were not returned, and persons were picked from the waiting list (of valid, but tardy qualified participants) and they now have the last remaining certificates.

If your dealer has offered you a car, but you were NOT a current Viper owner, did not get a certificate, and did not submit the certificate to your friendly Dodge dealer, any deal you have with him is an "after market" deal. In other words, he either has found a person with a certificate (I doubt it or he would have told you what color your getting), or he's assuming that he'll be able to broker a car, after they start to be delivered (and I can assure you, at that point, you will probably pay a premium).

If this is the case, your best bet is to go to one of our friendly dealers sponsoring our website (click the sponsors link on our home page) and allow them to offer you a legitimate (and discounted) deal on a 2004.

Good Luck.

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know of at least one person with a certificate that was told
that when their car comes in, the dealer has promised a $20K
fee if they will sell the car to the dealer. Do you think the
dealer will be selling it for a markup???

OP
OP
D

David Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spoke to the dealer today. He has 3 people with certificates who he has to get cars for first. However, he wouldn't give me any pricing info, says it's not out. When I specifically asked him if he plans to charge over list for me, he repeated that he has no pricing info. I'd say that that looks bad. If he tries to gouge me I will certainly cancel my oreder, notify Chrysler and send a some letters to my local newspaper.

David

Halnasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Shapiro:
Spoke to the dealer today. He has 3 people with certificates who he has to get cars for first. However, he wouldn't give me any pricing info, says it's not out. When I specifically asked him if he plans to charge over list for me, he repeated that he has no pricing info. I'd say that that looks bad. If he tries to gouge me I will certainly cancel my oreder, notify Chrysler and send a some letters to my local newspaper.

David

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another alternative would be to cancel your order now, and call Woodhouse. I'd be willing to bet Bill could answer the questions you have, and when the time comes, you'll actually get the car.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woodhouse would be my recommendation as well. He won't promise a specific price (because it doesn't exist) but he WILL promise a $ figure relative to invoice or list.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David, the Chicago guys pretty much all buy their Viper's from either Woodhouse or Roanoke. By going that route you will get straight answers and real numbers. If you go your route I can guaranty that you will see some real heart ache. Trust me, I have see this thing happen many times in this area.

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just placed a deposit on a 2004 with the esteemable Bill P. at Woodhouse Dodge. As one of the lowly uncertificated Viper owner wanna-bees, I have to wait until '04 for a Viper. Oh well, I'll just have to enjoy my 393 RWHP 2002 Corvette until that blessed day when I can emigrate to the Viper Nation.
Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang