New Viper Owner in Idaho!

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys. I bought my Vipe about 8 months ago from a cop in Sacramento, CA. It's got 21,500 miles (I've put on 5,000 of those since last July) and I can't imagine how I lived this long without it. It's a '95 convertible, black with gray stripes. I'm 27 years old, not much of a gear head, but I'm an electrical/controls engineer and I'm excited to get to know how she tics. A few starter questions and pardon me if these have already been asked or answered but I'm anxious to get answers:

I'm running between the 190 - 225 degrees F range in the summer. High temps in Boise can get into the low 100's. Do I need to consider flushing the system? Perhaps a new thermostat? I did have to fill the reservoir up with a 50/50 mix not to long ago...I put in quite a bit of fluid. Is there a horrible instance where the block can have just a big enough crack to where the coolant seeps out, but boils off so quickly that you can't trace it? Advice?

I'm also looking for a soft top for some piece of mind against the rain.

Lastly...what's the yellow arrow light that comes on every time I start out in first gear?

Thanks in advance!

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do I need to consider flushing the system? Perhaps a new thermostat? I did have to fill the reservoir up with a 50/50 mix not to long ago Flush the system and refill, and add some wetter water to help keep it cooler
Lastly...what's the yellow arrow light that comes on every time I start out in first gear? That is your skip shift. if you do not have one yet installed ...install one its easy and a cheap fix.

Thanks in advance!
your most welcome

OP
OP
S

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is holy water wetter than tap water? Can I use oil or just *** in it? I'll definately be getting me one of those skip shift eliminators...

forexx4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is holy water wetter than tap water? Can I use oil or just *** in it? I'll definately be getting me one of those skip shift eliminators...

I think you misunderstood the person that answered your questions. The product he's talking about is "Red Line Water Wetter" and the skip shift is an actual mod. Don't try to be a smartass to people trying to help you out.

OP
OP
S

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First I get a response with a bunch of smiley faces telling me my thread is worthless. Then I get a response telling me to use "wetter water". I apologize, but you have to admit...these answers aren't all that convincing to the untrained eye. I guess I thought I was getting my chops busted for being a newb...so I busted back a little. I didn't mean any disrespect. I was serious about the skip shift eliminator though...at least that's what they called it on the website. Let's face it, plain text will always have the potential to be misconstrued in one way or another. In any event, forexx4, thanks for clearing the air and 2 Snakes, thanks for the response.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott Congrats and Welcome!! :2tu:

Your skin needs to be a little thick around here! :smirk:

The biggest problem with GENI motors are the head gaskets if they are original and not been replaced with MLS gaskets. Something to look at. Fresh anti-freeze and a 180' thermostat will certainly help get rid of some of the heat. If you'd like, give me a call and we can talk all about your Viper. :cool:

Idaho, isn't that were Tator's come from? :lmao:

Texas1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrat's & welcome...black is the BEST color!!! Mine is solid black but I have been toying with adding some gray stripes at some point.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are a few threads on how to 'burp' the engine's coolant system. You know that the "remote" fill bottle is not the one in the engine compartment? It's in front of the front tire (more threads on this). There is a thread on how to change the thermostat (and it should have the 'burp' proceedure. I believe that Parts Rack will become one of your best friends for parts?

There is a thread on a "skip shift eliminator kit" as it is a $.25 resisitor. Ebay sells them installed in a pretty connector for $50 if you prefer, but that thread nearly pays for your membership and the resistor can be purchased from any electronics store.

Join the VCA and get out to some events to see and meet Viper people. The Forums have members only forums for the Illustrated Upgrades (articles on How to), SRT engineers forum, Herb Helbig's forum and regonal foums.

Viper Owner's Invitational 11 is really close to you this Sept/Oct and will give you an easy opportunity to meet various designers, Dodge CEO, Tuners and various vendors and other famous Viper people. The savings on just one ticket (or your Hotel room) are more than the cost of mmebership!

Glad you're enjoying your Viper. Doesn't sound like you drive very far in your car? I drove my Sapphire GTS cross continent twice. Enjoy!

Ted

OP
OP
S

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd recommend the gray stripes. They add to the overall sweetness of the snake. Plus, it makes your Viper go faster. I will probably take you up on that call Venom and I appreciate the gesture.

Ah yes...the tator jokes never get old. The stupid thing is, they put the Paraquin Falcon on the back of our coin instead of a Russet, because apparently Idaho is known for it's Falcons...come on seriously? Funny as it may seem, I work for a consultant firm, POWER Enginners Inc., and MOST of my electrical/controls projects are for Simplot. Simplot produces McDonalds fries/breakfast patties. Once again I've struck a tangent...haven't I...

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah yes...the tator jokes never get old. The stupid thing is, they put the Paraquin Falcon on the back of our coin instead of a Russet, because apparently Idaho is known for it's Falcons...come on seriously?

If you read who I am, my last Name is Tator. I also told you, your skin will need to be a little thick to make it around here. :smirk:

My offer is still open, if you'd like to call me, we can talk all about your Viper. :cool:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
.............I did have to fill the reservoir up with a 50/50 mix not to long ago...I put in quite a bit of fluid. Is there a horrible instance where the block can have just a big enough crack to where the coolant seeps out, but boils off so quickly that you can't trace it? Advice?!

1) The yellow arrow is the Federal Goverment instructing you to SHIFT UP and save gas. If you do, it will dump you into 4th any time that lite is lit. My advice is "learn the car" and you will seldom if ever hit that CAGS device once you and your car are better aquainted. Heres More:

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/606565-skip-shift.html

2) Your operating temps are normal range. Your Gen 1 Viper has a false radiator cap, sitting atop the RF fenderwell.....you can easily let air into your block, a BAD thing for a Viper. And explains why the "big Fill.' The true overflow reservoir is inside the RF nose.....did you know that? I bet NOT. Do you have an owner's manual?

Chuck "dont call me Spud" TATOR, or I can walk U thru "identifying and "burping' the air. Listen to Chuck about head gaskets. Not IF but WHEN. You can tell if yours are changed..... call me.... JonB Contacts in Supplier Sections.

Head gasket weeping/seeping can indeed be the dreaded 'mystery-loss' you spoke of

3) Be careful closing your hood... there is one BEST WAY and about 5 bad ways to do that. If you see where the "tear duct" portion of your headlights lines up with the hood? The hood has sharp points there, and they'll stay sharp-pointed and painted only if you close it correctly.

Water Wetter / Holy Water / *** water............... you'll do just fine here.

JonB

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cool. I actually did know about the overflow reservoir, but it wasn't convenient to get to at the time and I didn't know it was a mistake to fill the other, so thanks for the head's up.

The CAGS thing I only run into from time to time. If I keep the RPMs lower before shifting to second, it doesn't bother me. I've also got a power steering leak, but I've pin pointed the location of that.

I've got a mechanic buddy who I spoke with on fixing these problems. We also talked about flushing the coolant system. I mentioned using the 'wetter water' and he agreed. Unless I misunderstood him, he said detergent is what you use to flush it with? All in all it's costing me a case of beer and 100 rounds of .223 ammo I reloaded for him, so I'm pretty stoked about that.

I'm on a project in Iowa till Thursday this week. I'll plan on getting a hold of one of you guys this weekend and discuss details.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome Scott from a long time gen 1 owner.

Keep shooting back Scott!!! This is not the alley. Most of us here left the school-yard a long time ago...

Sounds to me like your viper is running just fine. Get her up and do the usual ... fluid changes first. While you're under there, look up at the headgaskets. Check for seeping stains running down the block. If you see paper gaskets, plan on a swap!

Great to see gen 1 guys popping up... 300 million of us here in the USA but only 5000 or so who own gen 1 cars!! Drive it and enjoy!!

-J

OP
OP
S

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've only been home for about 3 days in the past 3 weeks and now I'm back in Iowa for another two weeks. After these two weeks, the traveling should be over for a little while and I should be able to get to work checking this stuff out. Be ready for some phone calls Chuck! :2tu:

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Washington Region welcomes you.
Check out our forum for events not too awful far from you (and it's cooler too) to join in on!

PBR