New Viper Owner

268Copperhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have just purchased a Viper. A Copperhead with the 5 star rims.

I am not a car nut. I just love the way they look. I get a kick out of all the comparisons to Vettes. A Viper is simply more than a Vette. Performance aside it is simply a more exotic automobile. A true muscle car.

I have a question about brake dust. I try to keep the car as clean as I can but the brake dust is a killer. The rims are so deep it is difficult to keep them clean.

I know it seems trivial but a clean Viper is a thing of beauty.

Any hints on keeping the brake dust off my new baby?

Should I change brake pads? If so what should I buy?

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the club. Brake dust and SRT go hand in hand. In the last two years I have owned a ram srt, charger srt, viper srt and jeep srt. Every single one of them have the same brake dust issue. Dont change your pads if you like the ability to stop on a dime.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, its just something you deal with. I wipe my rims down every other day . Im picky. But on most cars with GREAT brakes, you will get a good amount of dust. My 2 Volvo S60R's I had both had factory Brembo's and it was the same deal. Ill trade a little dust for excellent braking.

bigmike32172

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have just purchased a Viper. A Copperhead with the 5 star rims.

I am not a car nut. I just love the way they look. I get a kick out of all the comparisons to Vettes. A Viper is simply more than a Vette. Performance aside it is simply a more exotic automobile. A true muscle car.

I have a question about brake dust. I try to keep the car as clean as I can but the brake dust is a killer. The rims are so deep it is difficult to keep them clean.

I know it seems trivial but a clean Viper is a thing of beauty.

Any hints on keeping the brake dust off my new baby?

Should I change brake pads? If so what should I buy?

hey you bought the car from ed moses dodge out here in scottsdale!
i was checking it out a couple of weeks ago and they told me that they were shipping it to a guy in ontario. thats a nice ride, good luck with it!

Reaction score
Get yourself a small California Duster and use it on the wheels after they cool from each drive. This will save alot of cleanup and protect your wheels from damage.

Mark

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck is right. When you wax the car, wax the rims. the brake dust doesnt stick as much and 90% of it comes off with a spray from the hose.

Congrats and good luck.

Snakesonaplane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I already ruined the finish on my wheels...trying to clean them off....heavy heavy swirl makes where the finish looks foggy now. Can anything be done to bring them back to life?

Anyone Chrome their stock wheels??

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I already ruined the finish on my wheels...trying to clean them off....heavy heavy swirl makes where the finish looks foggy now. Can anything be done to bring them back to life?

Anyone Chrome their stock wheels??

The swirls are under the clear coat in most cases. Can't buff them out unless you strip off the clear.

If you think the swirls are on top, go here to learn how to buff out. Post pics.

http://meguiarsonline.com/

Swirls under the clear. Bad polish job on a 90K car. :rolleyes:

416IMG_2671.JPG

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any other advice is welcome.

Ya, try to be careful that your wife doesn't get jealous because you pay more attention to the car. Try to detail it when she's not around.

A fellow Ontario Viper owner. :2tu: