New Viper teased?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hammerofgods, have you ever owned an LSX powered vehicle? Have you raced it? Houston is a huge car city, with GM's being the most predominant choice. I know of 100s of Z06's out there, just in town. Most of them raced. I only know of one that dropped a valve, but his also had a Procharger on it and was pushing 650-700 rwhp at the time. Again, this is a factory quality part issue, not a valvetrain layout issue.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here we sit defending not only Vipers but now Corvettes too, LOL. Negativity has spread like a cancer here.

Somehow the guys over at my Camaro forum have found a way to enjoy their cars without criticizing every detail and whining up a storm. Let me tell you, the Camaro is far from perfect, but their owners seem to love the car. I sure do mine. And my Viper too, I know that must be shocking to many.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mistake fuel efficiency with THERMAL efficiency of ICE.

Hmm, fuel efficiency and power output are pretty relevant to most people, as is reduced engine size and weight. And cost. Everything's a trade off, and I don't think many people care about thermal efficiency if the power plant is making the numbers at a reasonable cost. Why am I falling into this trap...

Anyway, a large displacement engine with giant reciprocating slugs is never going to rev into the stratosphere, and does not really need OHC. Unless they go lower displacement forced induction, or hybrid electric assist, etc., there is nothing wrong with constant improvements to the current design. The Viper engine could use the enhancements that the Vette has for sure - but it all takes time and money, neither of which SRT had this go around for Gen V. Hoping there is a future, hoping they are working on it now behind the scenes.

As for 'drag racing', isn't that what the Challenger is for? Drag Pak? Keep the Viper as a track weapon.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here we sit defending not only Vipers but now Corvettes too, LOL. Negativity has spread like a cancer here.

I guess that is one thing Vette and Viper owners can agree on... OHC!

Personally, I like just about every car. I would own 200 different cars if I could, they are all different and unique!

hammerofgods

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Output from smaller displacement is the difference here, thermal efficiency means the engine runs CLEANER. May not matter to you but it does matters to EPA. Compare output of GT500 5.8 vs. 6.2 LT9. Also, look up LT5. Buy what you like while you still can.
Hmm, fuel efficiency and power output are pretty relevant to most people, as is reduced engine size and weight. And cost. Everything's a trade off, and I don't think many people care about thermal efficiency if the power plant is making the numbers at a reasonable cost. Why am I falling into this trap...

Anyway, a large displacement engine with giant reciprocating slugs is never going to rev into the stratosphere, and does not really need OHC. Unless they go lower displacement forced induction, or hybrid electric assist, etc., there is nothing wrong with constant improvements to the current design. The Viper engine could use the enhancements that the Vette has for sure - but it all takes time and money, neither of which SRT had this go around for Gen V. Hoping there is a future, hoping they are working on it now behind the scenes.

As for 'drag racing', isn't that what the Challenger is for? Drag Pak? Keep the Viper as a track weapon.

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LS7 problems are not isolated, they are massive. Only the users who typically experience these problems are seldom, since not too many Z06 owners take their cars to drag strips or tracks. Assuming GM is telling the truth, any LS7 prior to 2011 "correction" IF raced, has a great potential to dropping the valves (at higher RPMs).

Statistically speaking, the LS7 failure issues are _not_ "massive". If you dig into the reported failures, at least 95% were on LS7s with a custom tune (and power adders in most cases). GM produced over 30,500 C6 Corvettes with an LS7. Of those, probably 0.5% failed, and most were modified. Only a handful of the failed LS7 engines had a stock tune ... maybe 0.03% or so.

FWIW, I'm a C6Z06 owner, and I have followed the LS7 failure issue very closely from the beginning, including review of each publicly reported instance and review of the aggregated public stats.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a wayward thread.....starts with a fanfare....make history. Becomes name that color. Then goes off tangent to pick the "usual suspects":rolleyes:
1. SRT history....name a blue color(lame)
2. Bash SRT marketing ( I agree but no response or change has come from SRT ) ( I hold you responsible for killing the car)
3. Bash Ralph ( I agree because he is responsible for the brand )
4. Bash SRT about codes ( how many threads has that come up ?)
5. Engine comparison/ corvette issues
6. Disgruntled viper owners ( put me in this box )

Last edited: