New Viper with headers and 3" cat back exhaust

Reaction score
13 miles on the clock.

140 is about right with 3.55's

Arrow says that the Gen5 motors all (everyone gets a shot at their dyno) ran more hp then 640, so that is a pretty weak "base number" on that dyno if you ask me.

Let's wait to see what Toddy's headers made back to back on the engine dyno before we judge the Gen5 hp rating.

Reaction score
I don't care about Engine dynos, rwhp is where is at.

That may be true, but you can make a rwhp number read anything you want and will be different dyno to dyno. I still would rather see the independent testing that BBG will be getting done on their headers.

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's not much of a peak gain for headers and exhaust work, I wouldn't be happy with that after spending what I suspect those cost. I guess this is where being able to tune the car to those mods would show a much better gain.

I'm getting mine dyno'd June 8th, I should have a little over 500 miles on the car by then. I'll post my results when I get them. There will be a 08 SRT-10 getting dyno'd at the same time that has (I believe) high flow cats and mufflers but is otherwise stock. Should be interesting to see the difference.

ringram

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A tad over 5% gain.
Would be interested to see AFR and manifold vacuum at WOT.
Just goes to show how much they rung out of the old engine with a few minor mods.

Might be best with just a head port..!

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm. I agree without a tune this is pretty sketchy info, who knows what's happening PCM wise with this exhaust mod, be interesting to see the A/F too though. I'm thinking at some point MOPAR will have power pkgs, with components and tunes to match to produce N hp increase. Like FRPP does, but we'll see. Thanks for posting.

ringram

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only way to get more air in is via heads or cam IMO.

Exhaust didnt do much. Though 5% isnt to be sneezed at.

Manifold vac will show if there is an intake restriction. Otherwise more cam, or better heads/valves/ports required.

Of course AFR will show if there is any room in the tune too. But as we know the ECU is locked.

So we are back to head porting and perhaps the composite intake..

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I personally is see is that the OEM exhaust is pretty top notch if its producing results similar to an aftermarket long tube design with no cats and a resonator.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After carefully viewing the video, I have one question. Why did they post it on YouTube? The dyno results are unimpressive.

KB Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i agree the stock the stock set up must be very efficient. what confuses me is on Henessey's website it lists the 710HP package as follows

2013 SRT Viper Baseline Dyno Testing at Hennessey Performance

Hennessey Venom® 700R
Available for the 2013 SRT Viper and Viper GTS

Power:
• 725 bhp @ 6,400 rpm
• 695 lb-ft torque @ 4,400 rpm

Performance:
• 0 - 60 mph: 3.1 sec.
• 1/4 mile (street): 10.7 @ 134 mph
• Top Speed: 216 mph

Venom® 700R Upgrade Includes:
• High-Flow Cylinder Heads
• Hennessey Stainless Steel Long Tube Headers
• High-Flow Catalytic Converters
• Stainless Steel 3-inch Exhaust System
• K&N Air Filter
• All Necessary Gaskets & Fluids
Engine Management Calibration
• Professional Installation
• Venom® 700R & Hennessey® Exterior Badging
• Serial Numbered Dash & Engine Plaques
• Hennessey Premium Floormats
• Professional Installation
Chassis Dyno Tuning & Road Testing (up to 100 miles)
• 3 Year / 36,000 Mile Limited Warranty

I called hennessey and the rep told me it was 18k for the package above installed and then talked about the custom tuning??? in the description they say it two ways 1st "engine management calibration" and next "Chassis Dyno tuning & road testing"

does Hennessey have the ability to tune our cars?

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good luck getting anything meaningful out of one dyno. I showed up for the NASA national championship and mysteriously made 15% more power at the wheels than ever before, with no changes to the car whatsoever. Had to run the entire event one class up from where the car should have been classed.

Best case if you do all your tests on one dyno, it is carefully monitored and calibrated at all times, and you carefully control the conditions, you will be able to tell if mods add or subtract power. You'll also be able to compare to other cars tested in the same dyno in the same conditions. But you'll still have no way to know with accuracy how much power your car actually makes,

For that matter, the power your car makes isn't all that consistent either. Ambient conditions, fuel quality, state of tune, altitude and a whole host of factors play a role. Even with careful monitoring of on board data and periodic dyno runs on the same dyno, I never really quite know what to expect if I get randomly dynod for compliance, even on a dyno I've been on before. So I have to overstate power and add weight on my entry forms to give myself cushion.

Dynos do keep competition closer though, so it's not all bad as long as we are all playing by the same rules. In fact I think it's a good thing as it makes it much easier to bust blatant cheaters.

PS Even in spec classes with sealed engines, some engines are just better than others. I would have to imagine its the same with our Gen 5 cars. Some are going to be more powerful than others right off the showroom floor.

KB Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I called today, they have two packages. The one I listed above is 18k installed. The 2nd is a twin turbo 1100 HP package with an entirely new PCM and it costs 80k.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called today, they have two packages. The one I listed above is 18k installed. The 2nd is a twin turbo 1100 HP package with an entirely new PCM and it costs 80k.

$18k for headers, exhaust, and a fake tune is a joke. If you want, send me your car and I'll give you the same tune for just $100.

This video is just more Hennessey shenanigans. First off, their baseline dyno video has the car with 30 more rwhp than the after header/exhaust install.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLQfPhFICvM

Then apparently in the new video, the car only makes just over 500 HP? I'm telling you this is the way Hennessey will sell his tune that actually can't be done at all. He will show you a 503 HP reading on the dyno and then miraculously you will make just more than the true stock reading.

I know you're new to the Viper world, so I'll do you a favor. Just Google John Hennessey and Viper's and you'll see what a crook he is. This honestly makes me sick...

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack B:3184461 said:
Where did it say it was a cat delete?

The video didnt say it, I did and it is entirely my opinion based on the following facts: 1) watch the video in HD and you will see no cats. 2) the unspent raw fuel coming out of the exhaust manifested as a flame is proof of a no cat exhaust

KB Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks for the info, but honestly i have no plans to send my daily driver viper to henessey or any speed shop for that matter. I read on Henesseys website about the tuning with their 710 package and called them to ask if i was reading it right.
I went over the top modding my ZR1 and caused myself, girlfriend, and job all kinds of stress trying to get the car right to the point i didn't know which way right was. I ended my modding by completing LPE 750 package but it took a lot of trial, error, and money to get there. I literally had 3 aftermarket cams, 3 different pulley combos, 4 sets of mufflers, headers with HFC's & with no cats, and of course I always wanted to squeeze as much as i could out of the tune so I ended up with 4 different tunes from 4 different tuners (some good some bad). I've promised myself and girlfriend i'd wait 1 full year before i changed anything so i could enjoy the car as is and then decide if it needs anything else. at that point i'd consider the mopar PCM, mopar headers, and mopar ported heads so i can keep my warranty.

Last edited:

ringram

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its probably part of their development process. Exhaust first, then intake etc.
I think its good they are posting the results. As mentioned above it means the OEM exhaust is pretty good.
I for one am looking forward to any additional video's to see what heads, intake porting, ecu etc add on top.
Much better than getting a before and after with ALL mods added. Then you have no idea the contribution of each one.
This way we get to see where the real bottlenecks are.
I bet heads give the best results.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the info, but honestly i have no plans to send my daily driver viper to henessey or any speed shop for that matter. I read on Henesseys website about the tuning with their 710 package and called them to ask if i was reading it right.
I went over the top modding my ZR1 and caused myself, girlfriend, and job all kinds of stress trying to get the car right to the point i didn't know which way right was. I ended my modding by completing LPE 750 package but it took a lot of trial, error, and money to get there. I literally had 3 aftermarket cams, 3 different pulley combos, 4 sets of mufflers, headers with HFC's & with no cats, and of course I always wanted to squeeze as much as i could out of the tune so I ended up with 4 different tunes from 4 different tuners (some good some bad). I've promised myself and girlfriend i'd wait 1 full year before i changed anything so i could enjoy the car as is and then decide if it needs anything else. at that point i'd consider the mopar PCM, mopar headers, and mopar ported heads so i can keep my warranty.

This post resonates with me. I modded the hell out of my Camaro with a custom Lingenfelter 383, supercharged. It took 1-1/2 years to get the car perfectly tuned and the bugs out. To put that in perspective, that's twice as long as many of us have waited for our custom orders, imagine how much hair I pulled out waiting on being able to enjoy that damned Camaro. The stress, cost and time took much of the fun out of it for me. I think I put less than 1,000 miles on it after mods, then later sold it for a big loss.

I have different goals this time around. After driving a Z06 and ZR1 and seeng the small difference in lap times despite their 130 HP difference, I am less concerned with getting more HP. Lap times are my focus now, it feels like the best measure of a car's performance.

1/4 mile times used to be but are less important to me now. I'll probably leave the engine stock. I will add aero and probably lowering springs, but only after someone (Mopar?) proves an improvement in lap times, without sacrificing too much road comfort. This car will not only be my track toy, but needs to stay a true GT car. Weekend getaways to bed and breakfasts with my lady are also where I'm at now. If it becomes too loud, temperamental or rough riding, she will be asking to take the Suburban on our escapes :omg:

However I absolutely encourage anyone that gets satisfaction out of engine mods to go for it. Whatever makes you happy is what you should pursue. Just beware of the long path to perfection, which can be frustrating and expensive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First Video has STD correction. The video I posted has both graphs (before and after) SAE Corrected.
When it comes to modding and hp potential for little $$, the new viper can't compete against the GTR, ZR-1s, Z06s, TT Porches, and 13 GT 500.
All show and no go!

$18k for headers, exhaust, and a fake tune is a joke. If you want, send me your car and I'll give you the same tune for just $100.

This video is just more Hennessey shenanigans. First off, their baseline dyno video has the car with 30 more rwhp than the after header/exhaust install.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLQfPhFICvM

Then apparently in the new video, the car only makes just over 500 HP? I'm telling you this is the way Hennessey will sell his tune that actually can't be done at all. He will show you a 503 HP reading on the dyno and then miraculously you will make just more than the true stock reading.

I know you're new to the Viper world, so I'll do you a favor. Just Google John Hennessey and Viper's and you'll see what a crook he is. This honestly makes me sick...

Reaction score
Mopar is totally separate from Dodge/Chrysler ANY Mopar part can void coverage and no Mopar part comes with any kind of warranty. Sorry

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When are you going to buy your vette?

First Video has STD correction. The video I posted has both graphs (before and after) SAE Corrected.
When it comes to modding and hp potential for little $$, the new viper can't compete against the GTR, ZR-1s, Z06s, TT Porches, and 13 GT 500.
All show and no go!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has cats, it is too quiet and the description was "Cat Back". If the cats were deleted it would throw a code and go into the nanny state without the mopar PCM.

The video didnt say it, I did and it is entirely my opinion based on the following facts: 1) watch the video in HD and you will see no cats. 2) the unspent raw fuel coming out of the exhaust manifested as a flame is proof of a no cat exhaust

Last edited:
Reaction score
ringram,

The heads on the Gen4 and the Gen5 are about as good as a head gets. If there is anything much left there the $/hp will be very high for a small gain. The ported intake on the Gen4 cars was worth 20+ hp, that was a great bang for your buck, the heads generally only added about 15 more from what I have personally seen so the cost per return is diminishing at that point rapidly. The new Gen5 composite intake is "better" then the ported Gen4 version, some of the extra power the Gen5 has is because of that and SRT spent a small fortune developing and manufacturing it. I think a good set of headers/cats and the PCM will make about the most you can hope for unless you dump obscene amounts of money into a full build with a stand alone ECU. FWIW

Its probably part of their development process. Exhaust first, then intake etc.
I think its good they are posting the results. As mentioned above it means the OEM exhaust is pretty good.
I for one am looking forward to any additional video's to see what heads, intake porting, ecu etc add on top.
Much better than getting a before and after with ALL mods added. Then you have no idea the contribution of each one.
This way we get to see where the real bottlenecks are.
I bet heads give the best results.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar is totally separate from Dodge/Chrysler ANY Mopar part can void coverage and no Mopar part comes with any kind of warranty. Sorry

Chrysler would have to prove the aftermarket parts caused a failure in the car before Chrysler refused warranty coverage on that part. Simply installing aftermarket parts will not void a manufacturers warranty. In the case above Chrysler would have to prove a PCM exhaust and heads caused a rear end to fail before denying warranty on the rear end. ( not likely)

Reaction score
I did not mean to imply the whole warranty would be void, I understand the chain it would take, but it is often a uphill battle if a non Viper savvy service zone rep comes in and sees aftermarket headers, PCM/tune, throttle body mods etc. for him to approve warranty work for power train repairs. Then your car can sit while the battle rages on longer then most will wait. All I'm saying is be aware that it "could" happen and be ok with it if you choose to mod.

Chrysler would have to prove the aftermarket parts caused a failure in the car before Chrysler refused warranty coverage on that part. Simply installing aftermarket parts will not void a manufacturers warranty. In the case above Chrysler would have to prove a PCM exhaust and heads caused a rear end to fail before denying warranty on the rear end. ( not likely)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi