Newbie going to the track Friday

Temple30

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for me? What rpm should I launch at and should I keep my foot on the gas as I shift on not? Im running a stock 02 RT/10. What would be a good time? Thanks in advance!!!!

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What worked best for me was to run your rear tires at 22 psi, rev to 1,500 rpm and dump the clutch, you'll bog a little and then NAIL it, you'll have to throw 4th gear don't try to cross the line in 3rd, it won't work.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mid to low 12's IF you get a good launch and heat and humidity aren't to bad wherever you are.

Practice on the rpms. I had my best luck on street tires around 2200-2400 slipping the clutch, but it is different for everyone. Definetly 22 psi hot.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first run at the track was about a month ago. I ran my rear tires at 25psi, and had my best luck launching from 2000RPM giving me a 12.4@119MPH time on a poorly prepped track.

I would definitely NOT choose to keep the gas down between shifts. Power-shifting is not for first-timers like us. It can quickly destroy the clutch and tranny if not done right.

And you can make better gains on your first time out just getting used to the timing on the lights, shifting through all of the gears correctly, and getting a good launch.

Watch a couple drivers run through the lights, and ask around about tips if you have never been drag racing at all.

Drive around the water troughs, not through them.
Street tires don't need a burnout, but you may want to spin them briefly to clean them off before the run.

And go on the third yellow on the drag racing tree, don't wait to see the green light because it takes most people's brains a 1/2 second to react and actually step on the gas, once you see the light.

-Dean.

OP
OP
T

Temple30

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have raced bikes at the track just not cars. It will be the first time friday for a car. Thanks for the help!
If anyone has any more help just thrown it out here.

OP
OP
T

Temple30

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It rained all day in VA so it will be next friday before I can see what kind of times I put up!

OP
OP
T

Temple30

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I went to the track last night the best I ran was
12.117 with 114 mph and a 1.89 60ft
That is bone stock with the filters in and a half tank of gas. it was around 85 degrees

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent! Great time, and a very good 60' time for stock tires. What tire pressures did you run? What RPM did you launch at?

-Dean.

OP
OP
T

Temple30

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran a 1.81 on my second run but before I ran the track official said I need a helmet and that if I run under 14 sec I could not come back. It was a great lauch!!!
But Im running at 20psi and doing about a five sec burnout , launching just under 2700

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi