Newbie here, looking to buy a Viper GTS.. TY

1vipergtssoon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi,
Im a new memeber here. Im looking to get a Viper GTS either a 98, 0r 2000. Ive NEVER test driven a viper before. Ive had porsches, and now a M3 BMW. Is the viper GTS a very hard car to drive? I hear mix stories, most being that its hairy. Where is a good source to find a viper GTS in CA? What should I look for, when buying used. Also is this car very reliable, i plan on driving it often, to work, and short trips. Thanks again.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just do research before buying.

The GTS isn't that hard to drive. I'm an avid Viper enthusiast, I've ridden in 2 500 hp/540 lb-ft GTS, and one Heffner supercharged 651 hp GTS. I've driven one of the GTS's aforementioned (2000 model year) twice. Clutch is good for its power (not too stiff in my opinion), and brake pedal feel and strength is good. The only thing I had problems with in the first drive was the way the car followed ruts. Only noticed it once, almost clipped the curb because the ruts in that spot were so bad. Gear shifting is a little stiff at first, but I like it.

BTW, I'm 19 and the only manual car I've driven before the Viper was a 91 Mazda 323 with 95 lb-ft and 82 HP. No problems aclimating myself to the GTS.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a 98 gts if you can find one. Has power windows,a/c,best factory wheel design,lumpy cam,more receptive to mods. Yeah i'm biased i have one. :D

Jays_01_GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my first viper a week ago after a significant amount of research. It's good timing for you to buy now because it's currently a buyers market. I bought my car from dodgevipersforsale.com and they are great people, you may want to check them out they are in CA.

As far as driving a viper, my first impressions are still new so let me explain my experience. I sold a 98 Z28 that was a 6 speed before buying my viper and have had a few other performance cars in my days. I think driving other performance cars caused me some difficulty with the viper because it's quite a different car. It took me some time to unlearn my driving habits in other cars. Specifically, the first thing I noticed was that the gas pedal was VERY light. I could not even feel it with my foot. This took some time to get used to. The shifter throws are very long, I really do not like the stock shifter. The brakes squeal when you use them at low speeds. These things took some getting used to, but within two days I was driving the car like I had owned it for years. The car is a joy to drive. I would not say it's difficult, just different.

Good Luck finding a car.

Jason

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have a suggestion on the year, but I had wanted one for several years and finally got one 1 1/2 years ago. I bought it new and had it delivered. The catch is...The first time I drove one was when they delivered it to my house. That's right, I drove it 20 feet right into my garage. My friends thought I was crazy to not even take one for a stroll first. I didn't have to! I knew what I wanted and I got it. It drives excellent. The power is something you have to be careful with, but it is awesome. Best investment I ever made! :D