Next mod??

D

dano

Howdy!

I just sold my Z06 and picked up a '97 GTS. Viper has smooth tubes, cat backs and 3.55's. Without breaking the bank, what would be the next smart mod? Also, I read several threads that say adding a short throw shifter requires dropping the tranny tail and the instal is from the bottom...isn't there an easier shifter instal?

Sorry for stupid questions but my thread searches on this forum have not yeailed what I want.

Thanks!

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There's an illustrated how-to section that shows how to install a B&M ripper shifter from the top. I think it was written for a Gen I but I refered to it when installing my SVS shifter recently on a Gen II.

I ended up lowering the trans a few inches and installing it from underneath. The 8 rivets I had to drill out under the console were brass and nearly impossible to remove. You don't remove the trans entirely, just loosen the mounting bracket at the rear and support it with a floor jack. This gives you just enough room to get your hands in the space to remove the 4 shifter bolts.

The hardest part about installing from underneath was that all I had to work with were a couple of floor jacks and 4 jackstands. A lift and some air tools would have made things so much easier.

Illustrated How-To Section

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's an illustrated how-to section that shows how to install a B&M ripper shifter from the top. I think it was written for a Gen I but I refered to it when installing my SVS shifter recently on a Gen II.

I ended up lowering the trans a few inches and installing it from underneath. The 8 rivets I had to drill out under the console were brass and nearly impossible to remove. You don't remove the trans entirely, just loosen the mounting bracket at the rear and support it with a floor jack. This gives you just enough room to get your hands in the space to remove the 4 shifter bolts.

The hardest part about installing from underneath was that all I had to work with were a couple of floor jacks and 4 jackstands. A lift and some air tools would have made things so much easier.

Illustrated How-To Section

Road Jeff is totally correct. :2tu: If you have a lift availble it is easier and faster to do the shifter install from under the car. just make sure you mark the transmission mount and cross brace so you get the proper alignment when you reinstall it.

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed mine via the directions (inside the car without dropping tranny). It's messy and a PITA to drill out the rivets, but it is doable. It took me about 3 hours since I took my time and had never done one before.

Of course, if I had a lift and the ability to drop the tranny, I can see how it would be much easier and cleaner. Good luck!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have K&N or S&B filters (kind of goes hand in hane with tubes, but you didn't say.

Headers the forged cars respond pretty well to headers.
Most folks here use Belanger and B&B

A computer tune (Dan Cragin) or a VEC controller specifically for the mods you have(some folks go this route if they don't want to go headers, both would be icing on the cake

Good luck

OP
OP
D

dano

..actually, I haven't open up the air box to see what filters are in there...I'll check it out this weekend.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed mine via the directions (inside the car without dropping tranny). It's messy and a PITA to drill out the rivets, but it is doable. It took me about 3 hours since I took my time and had never done one before.

Of course, if I had a lift and the ability to drop the tranny, I can see how it would be much easier and cleaner. Good luck!

Just for a compairason, I can install the shifter from under the car with air tools in about 1 hour, 15 minutes. The best part is no mess from having to drill out the PITA rivets.

Robbie

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just suprised that a shifter install isn't easier.
Put a short knob on it and save yourself a bunch of time and $$$. I recently installed a MGW ball and honestly I might not want the shifter shorter.

JZ 97 SS 1500

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Headers and roller rockers. Go with Belanger or [*****]'s headers. As for rockers, T&D's. Then have it tuned.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want new, search the marketplace area of this site and you'll find a numerous vendors that sell different brand headers.

Another way to go is to call a tuner that does TTs, and pick up a set of used ones from them, pick up some gaskets and you'll save a bunch of %%.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set of CDI (Caldwell Dev Inc.)racing headers that will be coming off a car in the next week or two. Also have a set of T & D roller rockers as well as many other performance parts.

Bob D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dano,
With our altitude I hardly felt any mods until I went forced induction. It takes about 3.5 lb of boost just to reach stock hp levels at sea level. I just happen to have a Roe for sale in the classifieds. (self serving plug)