Nitrogen fill in my viper tires

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SO I might get my tires put on where I work and we fill out tires with nitrogen. Will this or could this be a problem on a viper? I know it may seem like a silly question but you never know. Go easy on me...:)

Jersey Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to ask...... why Nitrogen? I seem to recall it being used to inflate latex balloons because they stay filled longer - I think the molecules are larger than those of Helium or compressed air. Anything to do with that?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The whole issue is about reducing the water vapor levels inside the tire. On heavily loaded tires, rolling friction under load generates heat. Brake drums or discs can generate some pretty staggering amounts of radiant and convective heat transfer into the wheel. Heat causes the vapor pressure of water to increase, but this is not a major problem on 99.97% of all tires. For the .03% of tires that are on airplanes or racecars, or trucks braking down a long grade, things are different. Racecars are trying to maintain a constant spring rate for the tire over wide temp ranges and water vapor is a major variable.

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like it will be o.k. No real benefit to the nitrogen other than it will keep correct tire pressure a little longer. Thanks everyone!!!

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nitrogen can also help if you run over a nail/screw in the tire, nitrogen molecules are a little bigger and therefore you may not leak out like regular air, but moisture is the big help PLUS maintaining steady air pressure plus seasonal changes, comes in a little better in Florida ...in the summer !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine